Multiple OS’s on a Smartphone

The Smartphone market is definitely going to be more competitive in 2011 with five platforms competing for the crown, but designers Michal Bonikowski and Rafal Pilat feel there’s no need to choose just one so they’ve come up with three concepts sure to appease most of you. Project one is an HTC model that can run multiple operating system (not gonna happen) but an intriguing idea nonetheless. I’d actually go for a phone like that. Projects 2 and 3 are more standard fare. Hit the jump

Project 1. Dual or Triple OS? Why not?
Here’s a take on a platform that would be perfect for running different operating systems. The concept sports an extra touch display situated under the main screen. This extra screen could be used either to display notifications of be used for specific OS buttons (e.g. home, search etc.).

Project 2. A Windows Phone 7 concept
Smooth curvy lines, contrasting yet complementary materials used for different body parts. Satin aluminium shell + painted aluminium for the back covers. Firm grip, large 4” screen.

Project 3. A Windows Phone 7 Nokia
There’s nothing better than a feeling of holding something “real” and not another plastic toy – which unfortunately  is all too common. The case is made of magnesium alloy.

Designers: Michal Bonikowski & Rafal Pilat – Mindsailors

Project 1

Project 2

Project 3

• Idea about multiple OS phones visited me like several times. Technically it's totally possible, but I guess MS wouldn't let it happen any way. Regarding phone designs – they are very good looking 🙂 Especially Pr1 and Pr3 (Nokia with Win logo ftw!) Good luck, mate!

• tom says:

Why 'not gonna happen'? Didn't you know about http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/02/vmwar… ?

• tom says:

• Jason says:

As a proud owner of a Nokia N900, I must happily interject and say that the N900 is capable of running multiple OSes: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=n900+

• Jason says:

• mb says:

Htc hd2 runs andro 2.2 fine as it shares the hardware with htc desire. Galaxy s shares the hardware with it’s winmo 7 counterpart so it’s possible to run both systems on both devices.

• mb says:

• Catamobile says:

Indeed, the market already have phones that support multiple operating systems, though they are mostly made in China. Project № 3 is very similar to regular 6300, but without the keyboard. Thanks for the interesting article and photos.

• Catamobile says:

• Michal says:

Hi
    this is my job. I would like to add a few words of explanatio. I just designed it to show how the dual OS device could look like and function – custom displayed contextual buttons OS dependend. About NOKIA – my idea was, If Nokia decides to create some device for WP7 – it may look like this.. and this is just my suggestion – referring to the classics ( Nokia 6300) . I believe that they are many people waiting for it…
    Merry Xmas by the way 😉

• Michal says:

Hi
    Merry Xmas by the way 😉

• @lucianmarin says:

Project 1 is looking like a Sony Ericsson K800i with a bigger screen. What's the point of that design?

• @lucianmarin says:

• Habibies says:

is this like iphone…?

• Habibies says:

is this like iphone…?

• Alaor says:

My Nokia N900 already does it, no problem at all.

• Alaor says:

My Nokia N900 already does it, no problem at all.

• Nick says:

It’s very nice. I rly like the 2nd project. Is there any chance for this to be executed?

• Nick says:

• resonate says:

a smart phone with multiple operating systems will totally happen just like I can dual boot my PC at home now. Its basically a pocket PC and reformatting, dual booting, jail breaking are becoming common man terms. Its inevitable.

• resonate says:

• BTi KID says:

The multiple OS running on one device is possible if you have an HTC HD2.
    You can Have WP7 as the main OS and run Android w/ sense or w/o sense throught SD Card.
    For more info google xda developers, go to the forum and go on the search.

• BTi KID says:

The multiple OS running on one device is possible if you have an HTC HD2.
    For more info google xda developers, go to the forum and go on the search.

• qqqq says:

DUDE YOU BETTER SEND “PROJECT 2” TO HTC.