Supersonic Stick on the Wrist for Blind People

It is very rare that I use the title of the project as the title of the post, but this one is just too magically perfect not to do that. This project goes by the incredibly long name “Supersonic Stick on the Wrist for Blind People” and it rocks. It uses “supersonic signals” aka sonar to both send out signals and receive them when they bounce back, giving then warning to the user of oncoming danger through sounds and vibrations.

The beauty in this project lies in the simplicity. Think first of being able to see everything around you. Then think about not being able to see anything. Then think about how wonderful it would be to have an object so simple it can fit in your hand give you another sense to replace the one you lost. Not quite as good as eyes, but it’s certainly something.

Designer: Minhye Kim

• Aleksandra says:

Like Microsoft Arc mouse ;]

• Aleksandra says:

Like Microsoft Arc mouse ;]

• Bill says:

=..= ………………..!Not a new idea.

• Bill says:

=..= ………………..!Not a new idea.

• robomotic says:

This is a terrible idea just to rely on ultrasonic sticks.
    I worked quite a lot in the visual impaired market, the best product is to combine the stick WITH the ultrasonic range finder or laser finder.
    The reason why you cannot rely only on ultrasonic distance measure is that the blind person cannot perceive the "texture" of the floor.
    Mechanical vibration are very important for them.
    For the rest it looks good.

• robomotic says:

This is a terrible idea just to rely on ultrasonic sticks.
    The reason why you cannot rely only on ultrasonic distance measure is that the blind person cannot perceive the “texture” of the floor.
    Mechanical vibration are very important for them.
    For the rest it looks good.

• M!! says:

terrible idea.
    how are the blinds supposed to find this if they lose it or drop it??

• How are the blinds supposed to find their sticks? Same problem 😉 Like robomotic said: best solution is to use both the stick and the wristband.

• M!! says:

terrible idea.
    how are the blinds supposed to find this if they lose it or drop it??

• khs says:

this is a terrible, and very naive idea. it is not only not working for the blind people. "others" cannot figure out whether they are blinds or not. the easiest indication is the white stick, and now without that, drivers do not have the warning system.

• khs says:

this is a terrible, and very naive idea. it is not only not working for the blind people. “others” cannot figure out whether they are blinds or not. the easiest indication is the white stick, and now without that, drivers do not have the warning system.

• Rebekah says:

While it is a neat idea, it just won't work nor is this safe at all! The sound can and will actually mask where holes in the ground are and that could wind up with someone walking right into a hole before they realize it.

• Rebekah says:

• TechSurgeon says:

Realistically speaking, a "smart" stick is the next logical step since, unfortunately, the physical properties of the stick are by far the most reliable and as previously mentioned, a universal notice to the seeing people around the person.

• TechSurgeon says:

Realistically speaking, a “smart” stick is the next logical step since, unfortunately, the physical properties of the stick are by far the most reliable and as previously mentioned, a universal notice to the seeing people around the person.

• prajapati says:

please send me component list of this stick..
    how can inform to blind person through this stick?

• Okay, that is pretty cool.

• raveeha says:

sir raveeha here. doing engineering.sir i want to know about the circuitry what devices are used in it. cz i want make it as a final year porject so if u dont mind can u please help me out. my fyp presentation will be on 16 may and before 16 may. I have to prepare 4 it I am very thankfull 2 u if u help me in this Supersonic Stick on the Wrist for Blind People
    I will waiting 4 ur reply

• Jere says:

Hi o have a disease and I need this device. Someone can tell me where I can buy this dilevice. Because I need it. Thanks.

• nikunj says:

if I need this product what I do pls pls inform me I need it

• T N Swarnalatha says:

I want to buy this Supersonic Stick on the Wrist for Blind People. Can you any tell me that where it is available and the price.

• kiprono bett says:

hi,im impress of the same project and i want to design the same guiding stick using Arduino Uno(At mega 328) ,hcsr04 sensor ,buzzer and vibrator.kindly would you assist me with interfacing circuit diagram.i will be grateful.

• metchie says:

This is a great article, It is my first time to visit your site and I never regret it. I like this article, Thank you for this. Have a great day !

hot to get more vine likes