Timing Your Lights

The idea is pretty direct and in-your-face….we need to conserve our electricity and can’t have you squandering it away. So how do we implement this? By taking tiny innovative steps, like introducing a timer concept for our lights; especially for the ones on the staircase. A device called the Flat Light does just this, the LED Hourglass interface is quite indicative of its intentions. Once the LED grains reach the bottom, time’s up and lights out! I wonder if you can set the time limits for the whole system, in advance. Question is, are you willing to make the necessary changes to conserve?

The Flat Light won a Liteon Award this year!

Designer: Jia Wen Chen & Wei-Ting Chen

• eno says:

nice idea!
    but something that does the same is already on the market.. why sould people buy this one?

• eno says:

nice idea!

• laupforod says:

awesome , awesome. if i can preset the time ( 30sec-1hr) say in a bedroom or a living room. i would replace all my lightswitches.

• laupforod says:

• mif991 says:

Nice, what is the cost?

• mif991 says:

Nice, what is the cost?

• Beautiful design but I feel like I've seen this before.

• Beautiful design but I feel like I've seen this before.

• Eder. BR says:

the concept and good!
    The idea you have only the light necessary for a time, without bothering to turn off, and the analogy of the hourglass design that makes the time spent energy is great.
    suddenly could do this in turn need .. only with a presence sensor.!

• Eder. BR says:

the concept and good!
    suddenly could do this in turn need .. only with a presence sensor.!

• garrettceriano says:

This is a nice concept but…Motion detection units do a better job.

• garrettceriano says:

This is a nice concept but…Motion detection units do a better job.

• DLbingo says:

well…. this self-timed switches are widely used in eastern China. This is just a beautiful version of that, not really original.

• DLbingo says:

• Adam says:

My apartment building is outfitted with timed light switches in the halls.
    This one is much more aesthetically pleasant though, but in the end, I think I would stick with the ones that we already have –
    you just have to touch them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to twist the ones pictured above. This is a minor hassle when you're walking a path with maximized efficiency, not wasting one movement from practiced repetition.

• Adam says:

My apartment building is outfitted with timed light switches in the halls.

• peet says:

pretty cool…I'd add dip switches to the back so you can change the range of the switch .eg. seconds, minutes, hours…

• peet says:

• Tom says:

Hi there

Love the design and idea!!
    Can you make this product for the Australian market?

regards