V Cut In The Tape

V-tape is a cellotape design that dispenses itself! A clear-cut solution to the problem of finding the tape plus cutting it…can’t get simpler than this! My only issue with the design is that you can’t really tear out smaller than the V – point tape-length. It will have to be one or more roll-lengths and this can get wasteful. Using a scissor will defeat the purpose of this design! Quite a paradox eh!

The V-tape won an iF Concept Design 2010 Award.

Designer: Zhichuan Tang

• My god !! that is so great and so simple I can't believe no-one did it before.

• Joe says:

Maybe because it's stupid?
      It's just as easy to bend a corner on a normal roll of tape.

• Bryan says:

Stupid? Just because it may be useless doesn't mean it doesn't solve a problem that many normal people have been facing. Besides, folding corners = wasted tape, and very annoying. Isn't design all about convenience?

• Ben says:

Umm… Not being able to use shorter pieces than the circumference of the tape roll = way more wasted tape than a little folded corner.

• Dunk says:

Waste more tape = more profit for tape manufacturer…

Most capitalists would see that as a win…

• gockets says:

So cutting out and throwing away tape isn't wasteful?!

• Taped shut says:

Really? I mean REALLY? It’s not made for bending corners, asshat. It’s for quickly tearing a strip of the tape off without struggling.

• yummehmoo says:

but the tape doesn't always rip that way smart ass…

• Joe says:

Maybe because it's stupid?
      It's just as easy to bend a corner on a normal roll of tape.

• Bryan says:

• Ben says:

• Dunk says:

Waste more tape = more profit for tape manufacturer…

Most capitalists would see that as a win…

• gockets says:

So cutting out and throwing away tape isn't wasteful?!

• yummehmoo says:

but the tape doesn't always rip that way smart ass…

• Chris says:

It's not real. This image is computer generated.

• Chris says:

It's not real. This image is computer generated.

• Alexi says:

Yeah.. computer generated… until someone really manufactures it and makes a ton of money off it!! It's a really good idea…. If you need more than 1 round from V to the next V, just go around again. Otherwise, press your nail on it and cut it even. Done!

• Alexi says:

• It is an inconvenience to have a cut there. You'd have to be careful not to cut the hole tape if you want it longer than the diameter.
    I'd rather use the scissors of my teeth.

I'd rather use the scissors of my teeth.

• NotSoGood says:

The design has more than just that one draw back. First, tape will have to be dispensed completely straight to prevent unintended tearing due to torsion when the up-peel reaches a v-point. Second, due to the radial difference, the ultimate length of each piece removed gets smaller and smaller resulting in fairly long pieces on a new roll with smaller pieces nearing the end. Third, the design does help find the end, but that was never really hard to begin with, all you had to do was run your nail over the roll which takes like a second.

For creating smaller pieces, all you have to do is create two or three notches with the target arc length being equal to the standard deviation of the average used lengths for individuals in test groups in diverse usage settings, or even targeted usage settings for different product markets. From personal experience, the length I typically tear off is around 1".

I don't mean to be critical, but I don't see much promise in this. i would highly recommend dedicating your time in pursuing ideas that are a little more practical.

• constructive2c says:

I assumed the tape was precut at the v-points. This would solve your issue about tearing. The radial difference is what, 3mm out of a radius of 20mm? So the longest piece would be 12.5 cm and the shortest 10.5.

I agree that's too long, 95% of the time you want something around 3 cms. If the Vs were distributed at 1/3 circumference it'd be more practicle.

BTW notsogood, your reply reads kind of like… I am a pompous know-it-all.

• NotSoGood says:

For creating smaller pieces, all you have to do is create two or three notches with the target arc length being equal to the standard deviation of the average used lengths for individuals in test groups in diverse usage settings, or even targeted usage settings for different product markets. From personal experience, the length I typically tear off is around 1″.

• constructive2c says:

BTW notsogood, your reply reads kind of like… I am a pompous know-it-all.

• Taped shut says:

• sup says:

If we will made one more "clear cut" on the oppsite we can solve problem with roll-lengths. What you think?

• sup says:

If we will made one more “clear cut” on the oppsite we can solve problem with roll-lengths. What you think?

• xavi says:

I buyed something similar, but all the tape has a series of little "v", more little than "v" showed in this photo and continuous.

I don't remember the name, may be a 3M product, or made by spanish company.

• xavi says:

I buyed something similar, but all the tape has a series of little “v”, more little than “v” showed in this photo and continuous.

I don't remember the name, may be a 3M product, or made by spanish company.

• traveler1 says:

brilliant idea:
    make more v's for varied lengths.

• traveler1 says:

brilliant idea:
    make more v's for varied lengths.

• marco says:

Bellissimo dove si acquista?

• Chris says:

uh, just get easy tear tape?