Dirty Linen Goes Straight To The Closet!

The notion of dumping laundry in a basket and then taking it out on laundry-day will probably be redundant in the future. All you will need to do is hang your clothes in a specialized closet and await molecular technology to do its thing. The Clean Closet is your laundry basket, washing machine and drying cabinet – all rolled into one. Using its tech, it scans clothes for stains etc and removes it, freshens it (de-odorizes), and that too without using water.

Going by the multiple solutions perceived by designers for doing laundry, its either a detachable drum or cleaning clothes without water that seems to be the fixation. What do you think?

Designer: Michael Edenius

Electrolux Clean Closet - All in One Laundry Concept by Michael Edenius

clean_closet2

clean_closet6

clean_closet5

• canastrophy says:

So you’re telling me if you’ve got a shit stain on your shirt from, say, changing a babies diaper, you’ll just let air flow over it and it magically disappears?

That won’t wash the stain away.

• mif991 says:

Michael, I enjoyed your conceptualization and sketchwork…well done. Although the cleaning process seems farfetched, I wonder if you could come up with another concept using more accessible cleaning systems for 2015 rather than 2050. I think you are on to something…I also think you have too many compartments and panel parts…

• igazbin says:

The notion of jumping into a bed and then climbing out in the morning will probably be redundant in the future. All you will need to do is hang yourself in a specialized closet and await molecular technology to do its thing. The Dream Closet is your sleeping bag, morning shower and wardrobe – all rolled into one. Using its tech, it scans your body for stains etc and removes it, freshens it (de-odorizes), and that too without using water.

• adam says:

I think this is great conceptual thinking of human centered design. You totally understand the difference between incremental and radical innovation and obviously you see what technology have done and can do to us.

• Apollyon11 says:

@igazbin- Hey you know wat?? You’re probably right.
    Do you have a really good reason why that wouldn’t be possible?? Technology takes time to develop, but it DOES develop. All it need is a bit of optimism and some good conceptual designs…this is certainly a good design, as far as the concept is concerned. Now how it all works is the designers problem, but in case this does ever go into production, this’ll be a bomb, even with rocket high price tags..everyone will want one!
    Thats what matters..besides the fact that it saves water and energy.

• Brooke says:

I love this idea! My friends and I are going to do a self cleaning closet for our science project this year, but it is very different than this idea. Although this gives us a lot of useful information.

• Brooke says: