Big City Full of Electric Bikes

This project is about an amazing set of bikes designerd by L.H.C. the fantastic pro student. Leigh Hendrik Cosentino is a student at Monash University. Not just another bike project – this one’s a bit electric. It addresses storage space, weather resistance and alternate efficient power, lightness and accessibility of a human powered vehicle and visual appeal of a small car. What in the perfect?

One rider. Semi-recumbent seating arrangement. As all you recumbent riders know, that frees up the legs a lot and allows for more airflow around the rider. Speaking of that, there’s vents at the bottom underside of the cabin, bringing in that circulation. That air then escapes via vents under the top fin.

Telescoping steering for users of all sizes. Steering tightness made for packed streets and tight car parks. Shaped so four can fit in a single car space. Boarding and un-boarding done via a hydraulically controlled vertical tilting door opening a big ol’ entry space. Or you could just jump in using the grab handles.

Generic wall plug for charging through all the normal plug locations. The tilting mechanism is also maintains stability while turning. Made for leaning.

Forward and rear LED lighting for that most amazing left and right signaling ability as well as night biking. Indicator lights places above the front wheel arches for 360 degrees of visibility.

And it’s relatively cheap to produce.

And with all that flat open real-estate on the sides, it’s gonna be perfect for promotions.

— AND IT’S MADE OF GOLD. AND IT’S FROM OUTER SPACE!

Designer: Leigh Hendrik Cosentino

flux01

Flux personal transport bike by Leigh Hendrik Cosentino

flux03

flux04

flux05

flux06

• Bernard says:

And it exist : twike.com

• mif991 says:

The wheels look like they are missing the rubber or they are too skinny for the bike. Other than that I like. I saw the twike, not the same.

• GI says:

Bernard – no, it does not. Twike is one of a gazillion 3-wheel 1 rider bikes out there that are flooding the market. This concept is another within a category – and I think a really great one.

Can’t get enough of the delicate lightness in every element (maybe a bit too delicate even), emphasising electric consumption efficiency.

• Confucius says:

Really nice work!

• Leigh says:

Hi guys, appreciate the comments,
    I am the designer of Flux and would like to add and clear a few things up.

Firstly, Flux is a hybrid powered vehicle not only electrically powered it uses pedal assist. Many 3 wheel concepts do exist and I tried to develop something that stood out from the crowd.

In response mif991 the “skinny” wheels/tyres they are a concept combination of an alloy hub mated to airless rubber spokes and tyres, allowing for the spokes to take the bumps bending and acting like the natural suspension you get from neumatic tyres.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!
    Enjoy, Leigh.

• ever ride a fully enclosed recumbent? I have, it turns into personal steam room in a hurry and they are as noisy as hell inside. Lets not forget that you cannot see traffic, oh and the lack of decent brakes. The list is very very long on this type of design, do a bit of research first then get back to us when you have addressed the problem areas not just the “look”.

• leigh says:

hi again guys,

I have ridden a fully enclosed recumbent and yes it did get very hot, however as stated i have addressed this issue, there are vents under the front steering arms allowing the air to flow up and around the user (recumbent seating position is also proven to circulate the air better around the user), this is then escaped via more vents under the top fin so as not to trap the air inside the cabbin.

Traffic CAN be seen as the shell is made from a clear polycarbonate that uses a one way film allowing the exterior to reflect light and seem as if it is a coloured surface while still allowing the user to see out. (also proven technology)

Plus, full hydrolic brake system with 10 inch rotors and two piston design on each caliper allow for more than ample braking power for this application.

In regard to the comment about being the engineers job not the designer, i agree that there should be much research included into any design project, granted some things may have been missed but those mentioned, definately not. So please read what is written maybe even read a little bit more about it before accusing it of not “addressing problem areas and only just the look.” If you would like to know more about this project please let me know and i would be more than happy to go through some issues or answer some questions you may have, there is much more information and research about this project that hasnt been listed or talked about here.

PS. this project IS a student project..

• Leigh, have you ever entered a car after it had been for 5 hours under equatorial sun? I have, and it’s much worse than an oven, I guess. The problem is that glass, and polycarbonate for that matter, allow sun radiation to come in, but not out. I do not think your vents would be enough to dissipate this kind of heat, basically, because your vents would depend on the speed of the vehicle, and as it’s human powered, it would never be fast enough. Nice design, but there’s large room for improvement.

• Dennis says:

Leigh, I think it’s brilliant. We’ve brought products to market that started with less thought than this. Don’t be discouraged by the little people.
      Keep designing. Keep dreaming.

• NIce design!!Looks Very light…

• Peter says:

Errr… where are the pedals?

• I'm still not convinced by the “you can see traffic” problem – @leigh – do you have a photo or video of the fully enclosed recumbent you've ridden?

• I’m still not convinced by the “you can see traffic” problem – @leigh – do you have a photo or video of the fully enclosed recumbent you’ve ridden?

• Dan says:

I think that this is a stunning concept. I'm also a bit upset to see such vindictive negativity amongst some of the replies. Come on guys. Stop trying to use this guys concept to boost your destructive egos.

I'd buy one of these. Well done on an excellent design.

• Dan says:

I'd buy one of these. Well done on an excellent design.