Green PC

The eco-friendly-crusaders lower your flags for a moment to consider Design Hara’s green HTPC. Let me hit you straight with the specs: recyclable green chassis of the PC handcrafted (side panels) from cypress wood from Italy or rose wood from Canada; front cover of this computer can be made from natural sheep leather. The internal segments of the PC are connected by a bolts and nuts structure, making it easier to separate so recyclable e-waste can be removed.

The unit is compatible with Mini-ITX small motherboards,and uses only a third of the energy consumed by desktop computers. It also features HDMI and DVI outputs and has an Intel Core2Duo processor, 4GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive.

More on this eBeauty here.

Designers: Design Hara

HTPC Green Sustainable Computer by Design Hara

HTPC2

HTPC4

HTPC3

HTPC5

• Niels says:

You probably ought to mention that the speakers used for the photography are manufactured by Ferguson Hill.

• will says:

“cypress wood from Italy or rose wood from Canada”

really?

how is this ‘green’ shipping fancy woods from Italy and Canada… which will probably be assembled in China?

• Tanguy says:

not to mention that leather is far from “green”… the transformation process from cow to commercial leather involves very harmful chemicals and energy consuming steps. And then again, the leather needs a carrier; probably a plastic part on which it is glued ?

• GI says:

Agree with Will on the “greenwash” of these woods sourced from Canada, Europe, and then obvously assembled in China unless they’ll be selling it at Bang&Olufsen price range. So with that kind of transportation carbon footprint there goes your green intensions.
    While I’m in love with its retro radio wood style, what da heck is up with the speakers? Completely different design language, don’t go with the system at all, and the sherical ones are a direct knock-off of the Apple speakers just a few years ago.

• RL says:

true about the wood…but if they changed it to bamboo itll be more sustainable… i went on the site and its actually all handmade in Korea…so no made in china crap…unless your counting the inside specs…but then again Taiwan usually makes computer pieces … well im sorry that Apple had to make a ”knock off” of Sonys spaced keyboards…

• trybudi says:

just because it is made from wood doesn’t mean its green! issue of sustainability goes all the way back from manufacturing until end product.

don’t get me wrong, Great design! love it, but when you put ‘green’ where it doesn’t belong, just ticked me off.

• I agree trybudi, in many cases the carbon footprint and effect on the environment is actually less by using a locally sourced plastic rather than wood shipped from abroad (this includes bamboo if shipped from far east!). To get the required shape and size of wood, often requires a lot of the timber to be wasted away, whereas less plastic or another “less green” material could fulfil the purpose.

• Jimmy says:

Completely agree. And you can’t recycle the would from your computer case…..but you can melt that plastic down and make it into just about anything else.

• downunder says:

we have a local CQ2 with energystar5
        pretty well put together, all lead-free alloy & sucks 50watts juice. cost 10 bucks a year to run. Core2Quad & i7. dead quiet.- green & fast but no wood nor bamboo

• MariJewel says:

Haha! Green PC?! The images presented are so cool!!! How I hope we can also have green mobile PCs. To replace laptops, lolz. So that I can save more bucks by not replacng my Dell XPS M1210 battery most of the time 😀

• nmessick says:

Too bad rosewood is an endangered veneer and it’s continued use is leading to deforestation.

Great color combination though; one of my favorites.

Also think the front inner panel (near disc drive) could use some cleaning up visually.

Some photo’s with cords actually plugged into it would also be nice; I doubt many users are going to buy this product to use as a paperweight.

• Vin says:

looks very nice for a PC

• Brennan says:

I am by no means a fanboy of either party, but I’m thinking that Apple’s aluminum idea is far more ‘green’ than shipping exotic woods around the world.

It’s better than plastic, but you can still melt down the scraps and use it for more new product. Which, obviously, you can’t do with wood.

Really, they should make these things out of particle board.

I do love the concept, I would even buy one probably, but not because I’m under any illusion that it’s “green”.

• Looks great for a PC, I'm currently in the process of buyying one and have to choose between a laptop or a pc. I don't want to buy something that everybody already has, so this would look like a great solution.

• Andy says:

And what about all of the rare-earth metals? (Let’s not even get into the humanitarian and ecological cost of obtaining them.)

• Hi I am so glad I found your blog, I really found you by error, while I was browsing on Bing for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a incredible post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to look over it all at the
    moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
    read more, Please do keep up the superb work.

• I’ve been browsing online greater than three hours as
    of late, yet I by no means found any fascinating article like yours.
    It is lovely price enough for me. In my view, if all webmasters and bloggers made just right
    content material as you probably did, the internet might be
    a lot more useful than ever before.

• This must not be too difficult, considering it’s the game’s second level-also it’s very easy.
    Men with power oftentimes see even their wives as an accomplishment plus
    an acquisition, hence the term “trophy wife. Note to my fellow teachers: implement the appropriate mobile phone restrictions during test-time.

• The first method involves making the website from scratch while the second one involves using the Fiverr clone script.
    People then see your gigs and if they’re interested they will pay you 5 bucks for
    you to complete whatever service it is you are offering. Again,
    I am 100 percent anti-spam so don’t just create posts and threads if you have nothing
    meaningful to add on there.

• Please let me know if you’re looking for a author for your site.
    You have some really great posts and I feel I would be
    a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d really like to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!

• Link exchange is nothing else except it is only placing the other person’s blog link
    oon our page at appropriate place and other person will also doo same in support
    of you.

• Good ρost! We wll be linking to this particularly great articke on our site.
    Keeeρ up the good writing.

• Informative and complete information – It’s a very informative and sensible e-ebook on the topic of
    breast enhancement.