Going Dutch With CC

Ever found yourself in a situation where you want to split the restaurant bill with your buddies, and all want pay by Credit Card. Like you want to get the calculations down to the last penny, or sip of Apple juice? Fret Not, if the Piece of Cake ever comes into existence, it’ll give going Dutch with friends a whole new meaning. By using this device each one can pay for just what they ate using their CC. The screen displays the total items consumed and you select your share to be automatically calculated.

I don’t know whether I should be happy for the “Math” factor taken care of, or sad about the new notion of going Dutch. My time, we just split the bill evenly no matter who ate what!.

Designers: Jung You Chul, Her Miran, Lee Chang Ho, Lee Kiho & Shin Youngmi

dutch

Piece of Cake - Credit Card Dutch System Calculator by Jung You Chul, Her Miran, Lee Chang Ho, Lee Kiho & Shin Youngmi

dutch2

dutch3

• Henrique Staino says:

This is stupid. Its easier and cheaper if the waiter does that, separating the orders of each customer.
    After all, if you go somewhere with 8 other friends, this device loses its functionality.

• francis says:

You’re lack of maturity is stupid. Why not use professional language or at least a little respect.

• Henrique Staino says:

Well, i don’t find “stupid” to be the last boundary in terms of bad language.

Anyways, I didn’t mean to disrespect. A designer that chooses to put up a projetc like that should be prepared for hard feedback.

That not only solves no problem but it creates an obstacle. Who designed this should be ashamed of themselves.

• Ducon says:

Francis is right…
          Don’t you know what is “Shame”… dumbass?
          The waiter knows what has been ordered for a table not for each people arround the table…

As far as I know, this device can be usefull!

• any mouse says:

You are, in fact, incorrect … at most restaurants the orders are taken by seat. Ever notice that one waiter may take your order and a runner deliver? How do they know who gets what (admittedly they sometimes ask), but good waiters know EXACTLY who ordered what, by seat, around the table. So put a sock in it.

• tuopvm says:

No The word stupid is not the last boundary it is unprofessional. If you were working at a design firm I doubt you would call other people stupid or say they should be ashamed of themselves. Yes honest feedback is part of the game but there is an adult way to critique some ones work without being rude. There seems to be a lot of childish comments on this site in general. Thats all I’m saying

• JHON SMITH says:

hi my name is jhon smith.
        jhon smith
        Asian Credit Card

• Nibor says:

I am dutch, litterly. And from my expierences we don’t only go ‘dutch’ in restaurants, but there are lots of more places where you can do so. Also if you go with 8 friends you can either split the bill into 2 or just pay for on and other anyway. So as an expert of being dutch in both ways, this just seems a great idea but is still more in an art form then a real problem solution. it just needs some tweaks and its a great solution.

• b0g3l says:

got potential! \^0^/

• cyc says:

i agree though, it would be kindof nice to have the option to just split evenly, but it does screw the guy who bought the salad.

• mif991 says:

I agree that this can be a useful product. I’ve come across waiters that do not want to split the bill, and I find it inconvenient to do it myself. I like the idea, but it does have limitations.

• Jet says:

i like the idea.it should be helpful for the kind pay habit and saving the waiters time.

• Rex says:

When I split bills with my friends I just use a website called http://www.billmonk.com. One person pays for everything, and then splits the bill on Billmonk. It handles a straight split or itemized split. It is also nice for more than just restaurant expenses as well, like taking a vacation with your friends and splitting flight/cabs/hotels/etc.

I don’t really think having a hardware based solution is that scalable and it is kinda narrow. It might work for some situations, but can become problematic for most.

• lisa de martin says:

It kind of comes down to the nature of the group you are with. If you’re on holiday together or you live with the people you are out with you are much more likely to take turns at splitting the costs of things over time, but for an immediate solution it does work.

We use Expensure to work out shared bills, but I quite like that a product designer has looked at a physical ‘non-web’ solution to solve this kind of problem too.

What would be really interesting is if you combined a device like this with a web service.

• azteca says:

As a server I would have to say that it can be frustrating separating the bill for large parties. You have to keep track from the beginning. It is a time consuming task that seems ill fitted for a fast-paced restaurant environment. If this was a part of the in-house computer system, it potentially can make bill paying less stressful on the busy server.

• muito engenhoso e inteligente , agora sim vai dar para dividir a conta num boteco.

• david says:

I personally don`t like the concept.

But, only the market can prove if it is usefull or not.

Make it commercially available and wait for the response.

Or.. make strong opinion research to predict it acceptance. Collect the opinion in internet can be this first correct step.

• thsgusgk says:

Oops. English was wrong. I hope you contact me. 🙂

• EMG says:

I have been thinking of this for months – why why why doesn't it exist yet! Simple and needed.

• EMG says:

• If you are a waiter and you're not willing to split the bill, you aren't getting a good tip from me. If you aren't willing to go the extra mile as a customer service representative for your restaurant, then I won't go the extra mile with my tip. Simple as that. This is a novelty item. This product is more of a nuisance imo. From my experience, gathering 7 credit cards and giving them all to the waiter and saying "put $12.34 on this card, put $62.92 on this card, put $34.43 on this card….etc" just confuses them and in all actually… they usually just fuck it up anyways, which leads me to not want to tip them well!!! When perhaps had they done it themselves, it would have been FASTER and MORE ACCURATE… and then I could tip them on THEIR PERFORMANCE AS A SERVER… and not tip them on MY PERFORMANCE ON MATH. pheeh, that was a long rant.

• If you are a waiter and you're not willing to split the bill, you aren't getting a good tip from me. If you aren't willing to go the extra mile as a customer service representative for your restaurant, then I won't go the extra mile with my tip. Simple as that. This is a novelty item. This product is more of a nuisance imo. From my experience, gathering 7 credit cards and giving them all to the waiter and saying “put $12.34 on this card, put $62.92 on this card, put $34.43 on this card….etc” just confuses them and in all actually… they usually just fuck it up anyways, which leads me to not want to tip them well!!! When perhaps had they done it themselves, it would have been FASTER and MORE ACCURATE… and then I could tip them on THEIR PERFORMANCE AS A SERVER… and not tip them on MY PERFORMANCE ON MATH. pheeh, that was a long rant.