When Colors Speak For Kids

Feelor Touch the Color is a color pencil set that comes with a specialized character-form on the head. It’s intended as a teaching aid for blind, preschool children, who are able to grasp concepts of shapes better than mere words or Braille. For example, if they are to color their page a particular color say red; they pull out a pencil with the head shaped as an apple, because apples are red. Likewise a chic stands for yellow, clover for green, and so on…

This retractable lead pencil has a button on its side to pull the lead out or in and is ergonomically designed for a better grasp. The idea behind the project is nice, and the designing has been kept simple and easy for small children to understand. I think blind people have heightened senses, so touching and feeling for objects comes naturally for them. However, only the research experts in this field will be able to give us a proper verdict on the Feelor’s feasibility and acceptance.

Designer: Noh Ji Hun

Feelor Touch The Color – Color Pencils For Blind Preschool Children by Noh Ji Hun

ttc2

ttc3

ttc4

ttc5

ttc6

ttc7

• Zvezdan says:

this is very nice, but blind people can’t see what they are coloring! Is there a special coloring book for them?

• Noh ji hun says:

Visual disabled children draw pictures. And they like painting.
    Visually disabled children take an artistic class at school.
    Braille education begins generally from the first of elementary school.
    To recognize a color, visual disabled children put on Braille to a colored pencil or get help from teachers
    Those who, however, are not familiar with Braille (under 8 years old)must completely depend on other people.

• frezzingaces says:

my sister couldnt move but she was smart! she could read at the age of 2.

• tater hole says:

This concept is really good thinking Noh Ji Hun. The shapes and sounds referring to the colors also help these children create a synthesis/synthesia where they can more readily sense and feel color with their highly adapt senses. Smart design such as this help these kids feel more normal because in their head they know what ‘the color red’ is without ever seeing it. They feel it, they can sense it (heat), and now they can visualize it more strongly/readily with items such as these pens. As a designer of preschool product myself, I say very good job & I’m positive something will come of this for u.

• Elena says:

I got just one question. Where can I buy those?

• God, people here tend to think every design has to solve ALL problems in the world. A design should solve just one issue (problem, opportunity, whatever): the one it was designed to solve.

I think this is the best design I’ve ever seen here at Yanko. Congratulations!

• DangerDude says:

i hate to say this, but this isn’t efficient design. it looks more expensive to produce than any other pencil, why not just make erasers with these shapes and stick them to ends of regular pencils?

• mif991 says:

Good question DangerDude. I agree with you a bit, but I think the pencil shape and soft material is intended to have a welcoming feel to the blind (as opposed to the hard wood pencil.) I think it is well thought out. Besides, I think all kids would be drawn to these pencils for they look like collector items. Everything depends on price….

• tater hole says:

Children in this category have very astute response to sound. The pens may be more expensive with the sound element, but I feel it would be worth the cognative reinforcement and it also ages down the concept a bit wich is a good idea. Younger children can more easily identify the color when hearing the audible association, as opposed to being old enough to feel a small shape and process what the shape is, an apple or chick. The younger u can lock in these color associations in the child’s mind, the more they’ll be able to learn and grasp. And even blind children know that markers are kewler than colored pencils. But with all this said, the shaped-eraser colored-pencils is still a good idea for budget strapped institutions/communities. They would be meant for maybe 5+ yr olds, and not 3.5+ yr olds.

• John says:

Very cute, but I cannot buy one.

• Hilary says:

wow i love this were do i get some

• Janet Wisner says:

Please tell me where I can purchase these pens

• Bressy sylvie says: