Smokers Rejoice! Open Smoking Booth

Design to encourage a bad habit? Go figure! FRESH is an open smoking booth designed for airport terminals. This “bubble” of self contained smoke air is filtered and fresh air is released. It’s modern and sleek with a circular arm stand on the base embedded into the floor. A cylindrical glass ash bin with a metal top stands in the middle.

When this system starts, the smoke is filtered by the arm top  where low-pressure air is generated. The “air wall” (a transition between low air pressure and high air pressure) keeps the smoke within it. Then the purified fresh air is sent out to the center of the booth from the lower part of the arm. The smoking space is therefore created by this invisible spherical “air wall” through which the travelers can walk conveniently in and out of.

D.K. Wei was a finalist in our RELAX furniture design contest and received honorable mention for his Cloud Sofa. Open Smoking Booth is I.D. Magazine’s Annual Design Review 2009 winner. Congratulations!

Designer: D.K. Wei

opensmokingbooth_01

opensmokingbooth_02

opensmokingbooth_03

opensmokingbooth_04

• Sentry says:

How about we save the trouble of designing, producing and selling these things and just quit smoking; would save a bunch of money building this thing!

• Carl says:

agreed, let them rot. i like seeing the substance dependant’s degraded and out side. This concept puts them inside and makes it cool. do you want that?

• M.S.W. says:

This looks cool. Another application for this would be to put in a refridgeration unit and make it into a true walkin cooler. Sell/lease it to stores for chilled produce/drinks 🙂

• steve says:

I like the fact that the glass cages in some airports looks like a death box. It’s a great design, but I would not encourage anything that made smoking look this cool. Those ugly, smoke-filled boxes at the airports was one reason I chose to quit… I decided that if I was willing to step into one of those nasty boxes, I had to do something to make changes in my life.

So, again, beautiful design, but I wouldn’t support it.

• mallix says:

Lol. Would love to see a crowd of smokers huddling together into THAT area! The thing is, though, that this area looks cool. Those glass rooms in airports look pathetic, and that’s why we should keep them. Smokers shouldn’t WANT to smoke in these areas. They shouldn’t WANT to smoke at ALL.

• troy bajo says:

yuck, everyone who thinks it's cool is a homo. as if you would be stupid enough to smoke and to think it's cool. the only thing that is cool is the fact that getting rid of smokers

• troy bajo says:

• Emm says:

Ahahaha, all of your hateful smoking comments make me want to smoke even more.
    Anyway, this is a really ingenious design. But I don't think I'd want to use it in the middle of a crowded airport.
    For me, smoking is more of a private activity. It'd be great if there was one of these out of the way but still easily accessible.

• Emm says:

Ahahaha, all of your hateful smoking comments make me want to smoke even more.

• nisakiman says:

Good for you Emm. Stand up for your right to do what you enjoy. All those joyless clones above don't even realise how they've been brainwashed with a tissue of lies. And when the self-righteous control freaks target something that they enjoy like wine, or coffee, or burgers (and they will, I guarantee it), they will squeal like stuck pigs and wonder why nobody will listen to them.

“THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up.”

This is a great concept. There should be rows of them in every airport, every shopping mall and every bar (with seating). Very cool design. I hope they sell loads and make lots of money!