Hooray for Cardboard!

This project has a fabulous title: “Can Cardboard Cut It?” That question mark means the whole project is a question for the consumer to answer. My answer, without even sitting on it, is a definite maybe. It’s a hundred percent recyclable, so that’s definitely a good start. Then it all fits together, the stool inside the chair. Two plusses in one! Then What a wonderful feature – it’s finished! Yes, there’s a lovely clear varnish painted over the entire two bits of furniture to enhance and protect.

This entire project is constructed with already-recycled corrugated cardboard and stainless steel threaded rods and bolts. Layers are altered, and negative space is played up to work WITH the material rather than against it. When you’ve got cardboard on your hands, just rock it!

Playful, fabulous, lovely. Designer Tim May knows what’s up.

Designer: Tim May

Can Cardboard Cut It? by Tim May

cancardboardcutit02

cancardboardcutit03

• Chukwuma says:

Truly awesome, If this went into production, I wonder if the price point would be much lower because of material than the average chair and table or about the same because of craft and fabrication.

• andy says:

Nice. However, I wonder how does the vanish will go inside to the flutes for protection. Anyone has a clue? If price is reasonable, I would love to get one set.

• andy says:

• Jens says:

Allright… However Frank Gehry did carcboard chairs like ages ago…

• Jens says:

Allright… However Frank Gehry did carcboard chairs like ages ago…

• andy says:

There are many other designers came up with different structure on corrugated chair… When Frank Gehry had one gone famous, that doesn't mean all other designers have to stop coming up with new shape and idea.

• andy says:

• Cathy says:

Well Done, beautiful design with great initiative that reflects innovations and sustainability. I recommend that anyone interested contact Tim as he is a young designer looking for a head start in his career.

• Cathy says:

• piggy says:

Breathtaking! This work of art is conspicuously excellent. I’ve never seen anything quite like this, it’s implausible. We all need to get behind the next big thing in the design world and purchase one of these badboys. Rumour has it there selling at close to $1000aus.

• piggy says:

• lilo277 says:

I have done one chair like this for the university, and I wander how can I protect the cardboard or some treatment that take care it from the water and beats… thanks

• lilo277 says:

• SamDS says:

looks like its from Africa or something. if it were painted, a definite yes. But alas.