Amphibian was developed as an aid for lifeguards (and Baywatch beauties) patrolling the beaches. Comprising of beach shoes and extendable fin modules, the set is meant to help the rescue worker swim up faster towards the victim. On land and in shallow waters, the fins don’t act as a hindrance like the conventional flippers, coz it has a unique retractable system that allows you to keep the modules retracted till you reach the waters. On the way back, after the rescue, a simple jab of the toes on the seabed, retracts the modules once again.
Here are some notes from the designer:
– Carbon fiber blades provide increased propulsion over current rubber fins.
– Elastomer blade covers direct water over the blades ensuring maximum control in the water.
– The retraction system is unique offering the lifeguard improved flexibility, control and speed throughout the rescue process.
– The two products can be separated, ensuring maximum comfort when a rescue is not in progress.
– 10% glass filled Nylon 66 body moldings provide the required flexibility and spring when running but stiffness when swimming.
– The fin module heel clip system is quickly adjustable for different sizes from 5-13 (UK) and holds the shoe securely in place.
– The fin module is easy to disassemble for cleaning and maintenance.
– Design development and testing alongside the Royal National Lifeboat Association (RNLI) and Loughborough Lifesaving Club.
Designer: Edward Shelton