Freeze it Until There’s a Cure

Don’t trick yourself! There’s no cure for smelly food. This pail right here thinks it is hot stuff. It’s called the “Minus” and it’s basically cold hearted. Open the lid, place the banana peels inside, close, click shut, set temp, and press go. Coldness. Do not drop your pop cans in here unless they are all the way empty. Also probably not a good place for dead animals.

Feel free to list other things that would be better off sitting in a receptacle separate from this frozen garbage container. This bin was conceptualized by the dude with the longest name I’ve ever seen on a garbage man: Cem Tutuncuoglu. Straight outta Turkey.

Let me pull your chain for a minute: do you put this in the same category as the trash compactor, or the plastic reusable food container? And on the same note as the second paragraph: what’s to stop you from experimenting with this wonderful tool of potential destruction?

Hooray for father freeze.

Designer: Cem Tutuncuoglu

• Quanto says:

…Wouldn’t this make your garbage really heavy to take out, on account of all the ice?

• S.K. says:

-5 degrees? how about energy consuption? Is it another product that adds to electricity usage therefore damaging the environment?

• Gordon McAlpin says:

The + and – buttons lead me to guess that you can change it. I know, I’m going out on a limb there.

Also, considering the guy who designed it is Turkish, the scale is probably in Centigrade, so -5 would be like 27º F. Hit + three times and you’ve got your 30º F.

• trimtab21 says:

i agree totally! just what we need to be wasting energy on – keeping our garbage cold!

• Henrique Staino says:

I’m sorry, but my house’s trash doesn’t rot in the garbage can, as I usually take it out.

Have you ever tried it? Much cheaper than buying this ridiculous anabolyzed trash can.

Can someone give me tips for P. design blogs? Yanko reviews are getting unbearable.

• Henrique Staino says:

This is ridiculous.
    The only point in freezing garbage is in restaurants, where there is a large volume of garbage production, and some locations where garbage is not collected daily. It is something you do for necessity, not pleasure.

And with that size, you fill it to the top in one day.
    Not to mention that it only increases the environmental impact of the trash you produce.

• M.S.W. says:

Interesting… If the speed of the tempature drop down to -5 degrees from the items current room tempature is fast enough, this device would be better suited for ice cream making instead of garbage collection 😉 (with the added feature of UV light sanatized)

• Confucius says:

I would tend to question if the micro-organisms in the Ice cream are still active if cold, and also do they add to the flavour? Because if they are not killed by the cold in the first place surely they would be killed by the UV…

• bosskev says:

Although this certainly looks nice, I just don’t have the need for it. I’ve been storing my garbage in the fridge for years, keeps everything all nice until I take out the trash–which, someday, I’m sure I will.

• ninjagin says:

Actually, this is a great idea. During the winter, I often don’t take the garbage to the alley until I’ve filled up all 5 of my garbage cans. Frozen solid, there’s really no problem with doing that. Where I think this is particularly helpful are for those of us with compost heaps — the little tub of vegetable peelings and eggshells and fish bones in the kitchen can get pretty whiffy after only a day. Fridge that stuff down to 30F and it would make emptying it a lot easier on the smeller, and less ripe in the kitchen.

• Carl says:

this is a good april fool..!

• J Dizzle says:

HA HA HA I like the “Easily Rejected Garbage Tank” that looks like it’s die locked into the cansiter. I hope its a prank because you’d never be able to take it out. At least not “Easily.”

• libz says:

what happens when the ice melts already?

• luq says:

A good design, not only have to see if it looks, practicality is more important.

• Rod Summers says:

I like this idea. Could imagine to buy one.

• compactors says:

Throw organic wastes into the bin until it is full. Compost kitchen scraps, including eggshells, fruits and vegetables, nut shells, coffee grounds and tea bags.

• Kevin says:

I am using an extra small sized freezer for just that:)

• I drop a comment each time I appreciate a article on a
    site or I have something to add to the discussion. It’s triggered
    by the passion displayed in the article I browsed. And after this post Minus the Freezer Garbage Bin by
    Cem Tutuncuoglu Yanko Design. I was actually moved enough to post a commenta response
    🙂 I actually do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright.
    Is it only me or do a few of these comments appear as if they are
    coming from brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if you are writing
    at other online sites, I would like to follow you. Could you list every
    one of all your shared pages like your Facebook page,
    twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

• komder says:

I would like to subscribe to your physics newsletter. It’s probably hilarious.

• Hi mates, its great article concerning educationand entirely explained, keep it up all the time.