World’s First Camera Lens Calendar

I’m sure some college student already had this idea but photographer Sharad Haksar beat ’em to it with a real tangible product you might see in stores soon. The World’s First Camera Lens Calendar as he puts it, using the most venerable sign of a professional photographer to display the date. Each ring controls an aspect of the calendar but watch out 2032 because that’s when the world will end, at least in this iteration since it can’t go any further.

It’s not clear whether it’s powered or requires some very dexterous manipulation but if the price is right, I could see it becoming one of those, “what do you get somebody who already has everything” gifts.

Designer: Sharad Haksar

• zippyflounder says:

nice, keep makeing them real.

• Ekove says:

could someone explain to me what is the point of that?

• Eric says:

Ya I don’t get it either. Why is it beneficial to have a date on your lens? Is this functional or is it a paper weight?

• zippyflounder says:

its just a clock, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar other times its a clock.

• Eric says:

So it’s a “functional” paper weight. Um, OK. Ingenious design, hope he patented it cause EVERYONE will want one! 😉

• zippyflounder says:

eric, i think with a battery powerd clock movement inside, it would be a nice gift for a photographer. If its just a manual one….well heck who knows I was wrong about the pet rock too… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Rock
            “Pet Rocks were a 1970s fad conceived in Los Gatos, California by advertising executive Gary Dahl. The first Pet Rocks were ordinary gray stones bought at a builder’s supply store and marketed as if they were live pets. The fad lasted about six months, ending with the Christmas season in December 1975. During its short run, the Pet Rock made Dahl a millionaire.[1]”

• Eric says:

Well there you go right there Zippy, combine the ideas! Market this thing in a box like it actually does something, and people WILL buy it! Lol! I feel we are surrounded by dates and time enough already. Radios, tv, papers, internet, phones, banks…. I guess I just can’t for the life of me imagine a time when someone will think: “OMG, I need to look at my lens calendar cause I have no idea what day it is!” It’s for looks, and yes a collector item for photog’s, but it’s still a paper weight to me. Maybe make it a functioning monocular, and I’ll pick the box up…

• MadCow says:

thats the best line i’ve hear dall week… thanks

• jin_woo_han says:

I think it’s kind of just object for giving fun? who know, someone like it:) including me

• Anonymous says:

like the Mad Hatter in Alice In Wonderland said to the White Rabbit “your watch is 2 days late”

• jin_woo_han says:

haha Ive never expected this kind of product will come! Interesting idea~!

• LuckyFink says:

I’m a photog, and I’d love this.

There’s an appreciation for mechanical things among the older photographers.

And in general, I think there’s a large market for people who appreciate fine mechanical things. The lens would have to be metal.

Heck, I’d give my second born for a Curta.

• f/1.4 is the new f/2 says:

I'd buy this. In fact is it was white (or black for that matter) with the red ring of desirability, I'd pay twice as much for it 🙂

Also, LucyFink, I have a type II Curta, and you're right, its probably the most coveted object that I own. People will look past all of the camera gear, and want to play with the Curta.

• f/1.4 is the new f/2.8 says:

I’d buy this. In fact is it was white (or black for that matter) with the red ring of desirability, I’d pay twice as much for it 🙂

Also, LucyFink, I have a type II Curta, and you’re right, its probably the most coveted object that I own. People will look past all of the camera gear, and want to play with the Curta.

• Sean Godos says:

what would be amazing is if the lens had a device in which mechanically displayed the date so your eyes would not have to scroll for it.

• Sarah says:

Nice gift for a photographer frineds 😉

• Creative says:

Just contacted Sharad. Lens is ready for shipping

Cost: US$ 2000
    Delivery: 15 days

• roedi007 says:

the problem with this part ist that in 18 years You can put it in Your basket.

The year scale starts in 2008 and it seems to go to 2026. But maybe then we’ll already be dead.
    (Until that there be a successor with an integrated oled display for the far future).

Despite of that a nice idea and doesn’t look bad either.

• Eric says:

Good point, a “functional” paper weight with a limited lifespan. That IS a new concept. Waste of money if it really is $2,000. How about donating $1,900 to charity and getting a nice $100 dollar calendar/paper weight for yourself?

• Martin Argo says:

What’s the use of the calendar?

The taken pictures from the DSLR cameras has the EXIF file that having the complete information.

• Paul Joseph says:

I just don’t get this ???? What is the rave about?? why would I want to scroll for dates on a lens??

• Shahzad Bhatti says:

Not very useful (even to me who is a photographer)

• riot68 says:

Yup it’s US$2000 and you have to turn it manually too, badged as a piece of art carved from a solid block of aluminium…

• zippyflounder says:

wow, me thinks a improvement is in order..like it moves the dates via clockwork.

• Shekar says:

See more top pics of him..in the above url.

• Cool 🙂
    Allthough I would like to see some more common colrs from Photo lenses like orange
    And why is it that every calendar maker allways smothely avoid week numbers sigh!

• Cool 🙂

• Gerald says:

From conceptualization, designing, installation to maintenance, a
    designer will be responsible for every miniscule detail.

Ornamental grasses and native wildflowers provide refuge to wildlife and
    add maintenance-free vegetation to your outdoor space.
    This is important because you will save a ton of money
    and you also keep chemicals out of your garden that
    may cause damage in the long run.

• Feet, and even wire rakes can cause at least minor tearing.
    They do not disturb the general effect, but just blend
    with the whole. Its leaves are broad, its flowers attractive, the seed
    pods which cling to the tree until away into the winter, add a
    bit of picture.

• Wonderful, what a webpage it is! This website presents useful facts to us, keep it up.