More Impossibles from Mac: “Tired of Numbers”

Mac Funamizu names his newest project a little too well, calling the desktop hygrometer and thermometer “Tired of Numbers.” Yanko Design is, incase you were unaware, primarily a blog about design concepts. Project after project, time after time, Mac Funamizu defines the Yanko motto: “Form Beyond Function.” And I mean that in as positive a manner as possible!

These objects are pretty self-explainitory, with the exception of a detail from Mac: “Red circles become blue when the temperature becomes negative.” Wild ideas! I wouldn’t mind the temp one for my desk. These were probably thought of about 15 years too late. They’d have been right at home amongst the rest of the colored-water objects sold at the fun-science stores in the Mall of America all that time ago.

For more extreme Mac action, click his name below.

Designer: Mac Funamizu

• ephemeral says:

perfect

• Brian says:

Yeah, lets make simple data difficult to understand… How you you propose making the red color turn to blue (or any color change) with a clear display? Seems like a waste of time with compared to the Widgets that are already on OSX since they are far more informative?

• cerberus says:

its just like brian says – Think about it, would you rather read 29 dergess in numerical notation, or have to count the 9 little circles randomly spaced around display?

• casey says:

Actually, you don’t need to count if the number of circles is less than four (five for some people). You just look and your brain knows how many circles are there. Try it with the examples in the pictures. You’ll see–you don’t have to count. And, serendipitously enough, if the temperature gets up to 50 degrees Celsius, then counting circles will be the least of your worries. This is actually a pretty decent idea.

• herpaderpa says:

read the title…its for people tired of numbers

• Seb says:

i love it!

it isn't supposed to be instant information. its supposed to be fun. And unless you count slowly, i think its pretty easy/quick to read already.

• Bogdan says:

This is the coolest design ever!!!

• Ekove says:

WOW, just perfect….I don't care it's not very functional if it's like 19 degrees. I really want these…

Maybe a solution could be having a medium circle that displays 5. So you'd have 1 big, 1 medium and 4 small for 19 degrees.

• GL says:

That is really fun. The 1, 2 and 3 (and 4..in some hotter places) big circles + 9 small ones can give a general picture of the temperature already, which I think is good enough! I mean you can't possibly tell the difference between 24 and 25 degrees……….right? no?

• Eric says:

I think it's awesome! I've seen some watches with some pretty ridiculous forms of telling time, and they sold crap loads. This would be really easy to read, it's not hard to figure out at all. Temperature is already kind of stupid anyway. If I'm sitting at home and I feel hot, if this thing tells me 64 should I automatically feel cooler, no. It's just a fun graphical representation of data, what's wrong with that?!

• Emily says:

FUN absolutely!

Damn with numbers!

I hate numbers~

• judytao says:

very very good..

• lance says:

How to buy it? which store can find it? thanks

• Roger says:

I have a thermometer which displays temperature in non-numeric, analogue format. It is a little glass tube filled with coloured alcohol!!

• hndlback says:

e se a temperatura for negativa?
    and if the temperature is negative?

• jewbag says:

want one!

• mawhaaa says:

that is coolio

• anon says:

You are dumb

• Captain Obvious says:

its art dumb ass. appreciate it.

• amy says:

the point is not to count the dots and know that its 12 degrees outside. the point is seeing the dots and determining how cold it is without numbers. not saying “its 12 degrees out,” but saying “its pretty cold outside.”

• I’m an air-conditioning engineer, and I think this is the coolest desktop kit I’ve ever seen. I wish I could buy one!

• nice, but it looks like you would be sick of it quickly enough

Half Baked Potatoes

• Mark says:

Because it will definitely ever get to below freezing in somebody’s cubicle…