A Phone That’s Not Afraid to Mess with Water

Among the grievous wrongs done by touchscreen technology, the worst is its disregard for tactile feedback. Without the pleasant sensation of a button being pressed, we are woefully incapable of using any gadget without complete visual attention. This Nokia concept tries to right this wrong by using a small pump to fill a substrate beneath the screen that gives our fingers something to feel and press. Maybe now I can finally type out these posts while driving to work without having to put my coffee in the cup holder.

Designer: Rune Larsen

• powers says:

I think RIM beat you to it buddy. I heard Blackberry "Storm" has touchscreen with "Tactile feedback". I personally don't mind touch screens. I think they feel futuristic. I like that.

• We actually covered this concept months ago on Symbian-Freak.com. I wonder if this is an intended reannouncement to pique the interest of users. Nokia is currently in the midst of launching multiple touchscreen models. They'd always shied away from touchscreens because of a lack of a suitable haptic system. Haptikos is great, but probably not yet practical for mass production. But this is weird seeing an old concept on this site. Is this being reshown by request from Nokia, perhaps?

Actually, powers, plenty of devices feature tactile feedback. The actual definition of what that means for RIM could be most possibly simple vibrations, which is the case with most devices that employ haptics, or physical feedback meant to signify actions on static touchscreens. What sets this one apart is the exhibition of Haptikos technology, a Nokia patented system of actually creating physical protrusions to represent actual pressable buttons. This is beyond simple screen vibrations, giving a solution even deaf mute smartphone users can utilize.

• Christopher Walkin says:

err..sorry, you're wrong. The blackberry storm uses the 'brand new' haptic technology (which Samsung has been using for over a year now). This haptic technology simply involves the phone vibrating when a key is pressed, thus giving a response, or 'touching back' as Blackberry like to say.

This concept is truly revolutionary, well done Nokia.

• Quantum says:

Actually BlackBerry does use something like it, the screen does actually depress.

• powers says:

I think RIM beat you to it buddy. I heard Blackberry “Storm” has touchscreen with “Tactile feedback”. I personally don't mind touch screens. I think they feel futuristic. I like that.

• Christopher Walkin says:

This concept is truly revolutionary, well done Nokia.

• Christina says:

amazing design!

where can i buy one?!?!…

• Christina says:

amazing design!

where can i buy one?!?!…

• ann says:

just a thought…what if you have long nails..? can u get refills? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• ann says:

just a thought…what if you have long nails..? can u get refills? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Scott says:

Wow…your lame.

• anon says:

Interesting concept, however it would suck if you dropped the phone punctured the membrane.

P.S. Lol at "filled whit fluid"

• anon says:

P.S. Lol at “filled whit fluid”

• lizardboi says:

The concept is great, I would like to use it. I think we are a bit bored about the hard plastic and metal objects and interfaces in our life. We are more open to organic, natural responses, like thisone. It reminds me a bit on the artifical muslces.

• lizardboi says:

Hm I think its kinda spamming you know…

• lizardboi says:

• TenZo says:

just a noobie question… is it already been released in the market? or still a concept?

pardon me for bein' such a twat ๐Ÿ˜€

• TenZo says:

pardon me for bein' such a twat ๐Ÿ˜€

• Christina says:

Hey where can i buy this phone from?

• Exill says:

Nowhere.

I think this site is a site for designers suggestions to the futures cell phones.

Tell me if I am wrong.

• Christina says:

Hey where can i buy this phone from?

• Exill says:

Nowhere.

Tell me if I am wrong.

• Geekie says:

1. She didn't even mention Moukisac (WTF)
    2. It counts as spamming
    3. Your as lame as a door-to-door salesman

• BEN says:

hi…

i wante to send me model name this cell phon… .

thx

• Very cool idea, but I would be worried about the liquid breaking or cracking on high impact and ruining the phone. However, the feel of a tactile response should be a nice change from the glass screens with no give or indication that the user actually pressed anything. Jitterbug was advertising this exact product on their site the other week.

• Shpend says:

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME OR SEND ME THE LINK THAT I CAN BUY THIS PHONE…..I LOVE IT AND I WANA BUY IT….PLZ…CUS I CANT FIND NOWHERE…>SOMEONE HELP ME..>THANK YOU…..I WANA BUY THIS PHONE….PLZ…THE LINK

• darby says:

the question is, is this still a touch screen? because of the fact that the buttons are actually physical, i would argue otherwise. true tactile feedback would mean having the buttons push up once pressed on screen

• sadf says:

Most touch screens are buttons anyways; they just have a screen over them so you are touching the screen.

• LOLZ says:

Heh, buttons filled up “whit” liquid.

• megatr0n says:

darby you are missing the point. its not just a mechanism for providing tactile feedback, but it helps you to find where the keys are in the first place.

• Izkata says:

This would be amazing for anyone who likes having games on their phone. Any type that requires a D-pad style control, at least.

• Terry says:

It's a solid concept, and it's absolutely the thing that's missing from all current touchscreens. Really though, in order to be worth implementing, the "bumps" would need to be programmable and dynamic, for use in other apps. This just appears to be two different button sets that can be swapped between with this fancy (and largely unnecessary) water system.

• Terry says:

It's a solid concept, and it's absolutely the thing that's missing from all current touchscreens. Really though, in order to be worth implementing, the “bumps” would need to be programmable and dynamic, for use in other apps. This just appears to be two different button sets that can be swapped between with this fancy (and largely unnecessary) water system.

• Josh says:

i like the idea, but what if the screen gets punctured?

• E=J^3 says:

A have to agree with terry but like all good ideas they have to start some where and this is an awesome start. I want this technology. I think it is cool and it can inspire a lot of good ideas. Nice work Nokia, and I can wait to see what come out of this.

• E=J^3 says:

• Phil E. Drifter says:

Stupid unnecessary waste of battery power. Which means it's targeted at women.

• Phil E. Drifter says:

Stupid unnecessary waste of battery power. Which means it's targeted at women.

• winner says:

We have similar technology that produces buttons that are not vidible, but touchable, and are fully programmable. Check it out, it beats this design by a mile.

• winner says:

• Chris Kringle says:

Can't believe you are typing out posts while driving. Extremely irresponsible and immature. Get a clue.

• connor says:

The author was obviously injecting humor into the post. Get a clue.

• Adam says:

Ya get a clue, or sense of humor, or a better name, or something better to do with your time.

• Chris Kringle says:

• lemo says:

why have a touchscreen if it's to haave buttons -just get a phone with buttons

• lemo says:

why have a touchscreen if it's to haave buttons -just get a phone with buttons

• Guest says:

That stuff will leak out within a couple weeks

• Guest says:

That stuff will leak out within a couple weeks

• Jimmy C says:

I don’t see why tactile feedback is such a big deal. If you can’t pay enough attention to look at the screen then why are you doing it?