The Third Space

If you thought China’s opening ceremony was impressive for its scale and teamwork then spare a thought for the 52 German design students who were handed the knee weakening task of creating a temporary 200sqm world that tries to translate sociological terms like self-portrayal, community and retreat into tangible spatial situations. As impressive as it is, the real treat is in the details. The entire space was created by lashing together almost 1.3 million cable ties. The result is nothing short of amazing. Visitors are invited to explore the surreal landscape of cocoons, webs and light called “The Third Space” that took a staggering 16,870 hours to complete.

Design: Academy of Fine Arts in Munich

Photographs by Martin.

• Iron Man says:

That may be the single craziest thing I have ever seen done with zipties.

• zippyflounder says:

I dont know if it meets its goal of community, except for the design groups, however it is quite cool looking. A few other thoughts.
    1. Thank ghod zip ties are recycleable (some)
    2. See what hevy drug use gets you “DUDE lets make up a whole insect house, and I know how to make a zip tie basket.” ” Awsome, lets do it!”
    3. 1/4 the way through they lose 1/2 the crew, 1/2 way through they lose another 1/2 with the remainder considers seppaku.
    4. At the wrap party the zip tied the naked body of the person who thought this up to a steet lamp and left him.

• TH says:

Freaky. In a positive way, I guess…

• zippziripp says:

nice idea but maybe its stolen from nicole knauer a munich based artist. she showed very similar stuff at the Ars Electronica already int the year 2006 in linz austria. you can check out her webside and decide on your own. http://www.nicole-knauer.de

we had a big discussion about that in the media. I really get angry when good ideas are stolen by big fat institutions…finally she lost!

• partofthepuzzle says:

I checked out Nicole Knauer’s catalog web site as zipptripp suggested.. Based on that, I do not think that Thrid Space “stole” anything. First of all, I saw at two installation/art pieces 8 years ago at Burning Man that achieved a similar texture (e.g. fur and hair) as those of Nicole Knauer’s work. It seems very plausible to me that several artists independently developed the same basic approach to using such a ubiquitous object as a zip tie.

Beyond that, even given the underlying common approach of using the zip ties that appears Knauer and Third Space, the art pieces themselves seem substantially different in many very obvious ways. I agree that eal plagiarism in art is a serious offense and should be exposed when it occurs, but I don’t think this even come close to qualifying as such.

Case dismissed! Students go out and enjoy recess 😉

• cici says:

it’s impressive but i had to giggle a little

• Jeffrey says:

who has got the layout of academy of fine arts in munich?

• I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering issues with your site.
    It seems like some of the written text in your posts are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
    This might be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously.