A Humble Grand?

From the 50 coats high gloss paint to the 5000 seat auditoriums they occupy, there’s nothing intimate or understated about a grand piano. A concerto on a keyboard or upright however will earn you little respect. At the recent Milan design week, designer Yves Plattard and Yamaha showcased a unique concept called “key between you” that aimed to create a more intimate environment for performances by bringing the musician and the audience together. (costers sold separately).

Designer: Yves Plattard

• Nate Nead says:

Nice design. I really like it.

• Noisefree says:

As an old, long-time lounge piano player, I think the design could be improved by making the table larger to accommodate more people, and providing a "rib" along the edge of the table around the piano to prevent spilled customer's drinks from flowing onto the piano keys. (spilling of drinks happens more often than you might think). Like Nippyfounder says, this is nothing more than a new look at the old "piano bar." Bar owners have been building "faux grand piano" shells as a spinet add-on for at least 50 yearsw.

• Noisefree says:

As an old, long-time lounge piano player, I think the design could be improved by making the table larger to accommodate more people, and providing a “rib” along the edge of the table around the piano to prevent spilled customer's drinks from flowing onto the piano keys. (spilling of drinks happens more often than you might think). Like Nippyfounder says, this is nothing more than a new look at the old “piano bar.” Bar owners have been building “faux grand piano” shells as a spinet add-on for at least 50 yearsw.

• igreenspot says:

genius, minimalist version of grand piano

• zippyflounder says:

ummm aint this a table with a electonic keyboard cut in? I mean thats been done many many times in the past.

• candice says:

It beautiful but how is it on sound. Has anyone heard it?

• TH says:

Awful, awful, awful… ๐Ÿ™‚

As a pianist, I must emphasise that a grand piano is an instrument, not a piece of furniture. And, it is one of the most stunningly beautiful instruments there are. And its shape is functional, as it houses the strings, the lid (open/closed) controls the sound level and the whole thing vibrates when you play, adding to the quality of sound.

Now, I don’t really care what instrument they use in cocktail bars for playing that generic, mind-numbing easy-listening stuff to the drunkenly ignorant petit-bourgeois socialites, but when it comes to musical instruments, I’d agree with Victor Borge who said to a singer: don’t lean on my piano, I don’t lean on your vocal chords either. ๐Ÿ˜€

Seriously, how could you change something that’s this perfect.

• bob says:

I must agree with TH here – anyone that has ever had an interest in accoustics will tell yopu that the size and design of a grand piano are what actually CREATES the beautiful sounds.. its like a violin or acoustic guitar.. those bulges etc are there for a REASON..

• I am so curious. What will be the sound of this piano? I think it will be al colder, tinnier sound. Maybe it's a nice sound for modern pop songs with electric drums. Who knows? Oh and yes, I am a pianist too.

• xeijix says:

Instruments are invented for sharing ideas and emotion with others. The core of music is the social gathering. Without people the share our art with, it is a pointless gesture. On that note, humans invented instruments to conform to our ideas, thus, like this design, instruments were created to spur social gathering. Let us not forget what the purpose of design was. We conform the instruments to suit our purposes; the instruments should never force us to conform to their limited being.

When a person is in need, he/she may lean on me, but don’t step on me. So don’t touch the piano strings!

• shamek says:

seeing some comments, as an artist, a piano is not a piece of furniture; more likely to sooth and propel our spyshe to other realms!

• Nathan says:

I’m not such a fan of this.

Although i like the idea, and i think it would be great in a lot of lounge bars, I hate the fact that it has removed the piano and replaced it with a keyboard.

I’m fairly sure this could be made for a fraction of the cost of what they would sell it at.

• I think the best design of piano is made by Collani

• Sam the Sham says:

Digital from Casio, for your bar. Looks nice, good idea, but not for the real piano players.

• I am in awe…this is a great design!! Sure it takes the formalities from the orignal grand or baby grand piano, but in return, a wonderfully intimate connection. Letting artist and lover connect through a more simple manner. Perfect for a home, where you are most likely to show off to your guest, rather than entertain through a distance.