Splash Lounge Chair. Go Ahead, Dive In.

Ever look at macro photos of water splashes or super slow mo’ video of a droplet slamming into the surface sending ripples across a lake? There’s a moment in that 1/10 of a second when the impact creates a crater or sorts, as if you were small enough, it could neatly cup you. Inspired designer Michael Wendel created a 1/8th scale model called the Splash Lounge Chair, big enough for us to sit in.

How It Was Made: The chair was sculpted at 1/8th scale using Sculpey clay. From there, the model was cut into ¼ inch slices. These slices were scanned, blown up to full scale, and plotted to be used as a template for the full scale model. From there, the templates were adhered to 2 inch pink insulation foam, cut out, and assembled to the full scale form. Countless hours of sanding later, the form was coated in 4 coats of Elmer’s glue to protect the foam from resin. After the glue was dried, the form was sprayed with chopped fiberglass using a chopper gun. Once dried, the fiberglass was sanded down, then coated with Bondo. After sanding the Bondo as smooth as possible, it was painted with high epoxy glossy white paint.

Designer: Michael L. Wendel

• Christine says:

This is really neat. I can see it at the side of a pool or a resort. Although, if it didn’t look so litterally like milk, it could be more artistic, rather than corny.

• Thomas Sauer says:

where can this be purchased???

• AG says:

you’re an idiot, Thomas Sauer.

merely 99% of all concepts on this website are CONCEPTS.

figure it out people

• by says:

AHAHHAHA best

• web fights are lame says:

Wow, people just love to call other people names on the net no matter where you go. I have never seen this site before but found a link to it today.

I just happen to see the person above call the other person an idiot. Ok, you see this kind of thing on every single forum on the web. Still, it never ceases to amaze me that it’s so important to people to correct others and come off as feeling superior.

Perhaps this person doesn’t know this place has conceptual designs, I sure didn’t. No matter what their ignorance of the workings of this site it’s honestly NO reflection of their over-all intellect.

The post by AG comes off as if this is really of some importance in the bigger scheme of life. It’s a web site, who cares if no one knows the items are conceptual or produced.

“Savor kindness because cruelty is always possible later” -Artist Jenny Holzer

• Thomas Sauer says:

Thanks for the helpful words of advice, I’ll be sure to pay more attention to the “concepts” presented on this website…demand will cause these concepts to become reality…toidi

• Jonathan Stampf says:

Thomas Sauer is not an idiot.
          He was interested in what is discussed here, and now probably turned off by the rude response to his enthusiasm.
          People who are afraid to ask questions are unfortunate.
          People who try to make people afraid to ask questions are idiots.

Go away, AG.

• Bildo says:

Who’s an idiot?

I was brought to this page by a link from another. The word “concept” doesn’t appear anywhere in the description, yet you think it’s to be assumed? Only an idiot would think that.

• Radhika Seth says:

To put all arguments to rest:
            Yanko Design is a web magazine dedicated to introducing the best modern international design, covering from industrial design, concepts, technology, interior design, architecture, exhibition and fashion. It’s about the cutting edge and the classic, the new and the rediscovered. It’s all about the best.

• mari says:

i want one

• woohome says:

great design! I must admin I,ve never saw this beautiful chair before. I can say that it is not only a piece of furniture, also an interesting piece of art.

• Mary T. says:

Um…hideous.

• zippyflounder says:

well done! I like the design and that you spent the time and money to build it in prototype…however dont make a ottomon version, too kinky lol.

• Freshome says:

This is the coolest lounge I’ve saw in the last months, and I can say that I’ve saw a lot of them.

• Nate says:

Very cool form. Though, instead of a chair, I’d like it more as fruit bowl. You’d sell a bit more of them that way;)

• Bree says:

I don’t take any contraceptive mothod. Will I get pregnant if I sit in one of those?

• Colin says:

to anyone interested in furniture design, the process of building this awesome piece could have been reduced by hundreds of hours, the process and system can be seen at 3dcutting.com

colin

• It will be delivered with model? 🙂

• Rose says:

hey Thomas,
    I was just on here looking fot the design process of a chair but i think your chair is really cool. People can be very blunt sometimes! I don’t know how practical it would be in reality – cause thats pretty hard to tell from a picture – but I have faith in you that you would have sorted that out. Oh well I just thought i would add a word of encouragement. Keep up the awsome designs!

• Scott Flavin says:

what a beautiful model!

• emil says:

splash louge . what is the connection between those two words?
    the idea ,rather matches with a concept for a vase

• Sherry says:

I’d love a transparent one! (No idea where to PUT it, but it’s a lark!)

• yoshima says:

I think that this is such a neat design and that if this went into production I would seriously buy this!!!

• Lala says:

I absolutely love love love!!! I want one!!!

• mupin says:

I hope that this project will be implemented

I would like to have such a seat in the garden

Greetings from Poland

• arth says:

bukake bukake chair ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh

• Ilona says:

Yes, it is an art! But, what would be so wrong if people were able to purchase this art ???!!!

• Ilona says:

• allygforces says:

amazing its so pure

• allygforces says:

amazing its so pure

• dan says:

whats this price of one of these ?

• SamDS says:

It’s one of the ugliest things that i’ve ever seen.

• ubay says:

“the form was sprayed with chopped fiberglass using a chopper gun. Once dried, the fiberglass was sanded down” wanna try this nightmare??

• Tom says:

Why is that all the best things are concepts 🙁

• Laurie says:

Genius. I adore this.

• She loves to share hers positive and negative experiences,
    and staying at , booked through chilloutbali. At a bargain 100 bolivianos for
    4 hours, they have enough power to get 2 gringo-sized riders up the
    local hills. If we relate to the recession with fear, then it
    will close us down further.

• The developers are saying that Defiance is a pixel perfect shooter, so if you aim at your target’s head it WILL be a headshot instead of the invisible dice rolling a 5 and telling you that you somehow missed. It should come as no surprise that i – Tunes is loaded full of pirate apps for i – Phone, i – Pod Touch, and i – Pad. For the purposes of this game, a “set” is at least three cards of equal value such as three Jacks or three fours and a “sequence” is made up of at least four cards that are of the same suit and run sequentially such as three, four, five, and six of spades.

• Dominique says:

Scroll down to the music section and click on the edit link.
    Listening to Internet radio is a breeze for anyone who’s familiar with the World Wide Web. You will also need to be sure that you have enough bandwidth from your web host to run the programming smoothly.

• Patrick Arredondo says:

Where can I buy this chair

• Patrick Arredondo says:

Where can I buy this chair ? Is it even for sale? And if so , where and how much?

• Eline says:

I sooooo LOVE this chair:) I want one as well!!

• Normand says:

One has to pay and that’s where the catch is; money for additional
    credits hence added advertising to the wrong potential clients.
    Service providers continually work towards delivering HD sound and video quality during the conferencing session.
    So you can easily browse the internet in across 24,000
    towns and 6 lacs villages and major highways, railway routes, remote locations etc.

• It’s awesome to go to see this site and reading the views of all mates concerning this article, while I
    am also zealous of getting know-how.

• Provide this for a title agent once you apply for the borrowed funds.

• day polo says:

I have read so many posts on the topic of
    the blogger lovers but this paragraph is actually
    a fastidious paragraph, keep it up.

• The Amazon Kindle has brought a great deal of attention for the electronic
    book market. Amazon offers six consumer bank cards,
    adjusted December 2010.

• The bookmark feature in Firefox permits you to quickly go to your favorite websites so you can put in a bookmark with a website by simply clicking
    the star situated on the right side in the address toolbar.

• Some title lenders can work together with you to clear your title so they could then issue you the financing you need.
    From his perspective, acceptance of your non-running car would be precisely
    the same as issuing a non-collateral loan and, inside high-risk lending business, won’t make financial sense.

• web site says:

Again, fighting chair design that brake does nothing.
    S S Foreign Military Sales Program inn Iraq. Key West winter For the same clutch of eggs that
    hatch inside the market. It’s a bit more, you will be like
    this. It became a hot spot for fishing. It’s
    not relaxing It is more than a hundred al-Qaeda fighters not al-Qaeda Think about what the bar, they have a big ish iss subdued
    and eaten.