Is That. . . Wood?

It seems the word “tech” is synonymous with cold and stark.  Metals, plastics, glass – they all evoke an ideal that some of us don’t want. Some of us want our devices to be warm, to have some semblance of nature. That feeling transcends deeper since it can affect our moods. The Chute Smartphone is all about the natural, organic, and moody.

Underneath, the Chute is like any other ordinary Smartphone, powerful and functional. The shell however is designed out of bamboo, a high sustainable resource. Bamboo turns out to be lighter and stronger than plastic. It’s totally biodegradable and far more Earth friendly in its production than plastics and metals.

Designer: Michael Laut

• AG says:

I saw this concept over two years ago? Wood on a cell phone. Rendering in Illustrator student project.

I do enjoy the simple elegant lines of the form and the showcasing of the bamboo.

If the artist reads this, rework the wood finish, add some bamboo imperfections, like a node line (the joint that connects the hollow chambers together). Look up bamboo wood flooring, you’ll see these imperfections, which are quite beautiful.
    Right now it looks a bit too much like maple.

• prodmod says:

I like this. I want to see more wood and natural materials in design. Not because its eco-friendly which is nice, but its a good way to create a unique looking product, stick out from the rest. Have something your friend doesn’t. Everything seems to be plastic these days, why not some more wood in the mix?

• JKR says:

i’m sure tree hugers will find fault with it. Think of how many bamboo plants must be killed to make phones for the masses.

• Dead_red_eyes says:

Actually, bamboo grows really fast because it is a type of grass, and the grass family encompasses some of the fastest growing plants on the planet. I see no reason why “tree huggers” should find fault with it.

• Lafond66 says:

biodegradable electronics would be ideal. We rely waaayyy to much on plastics now-a-days and that’s very bad.

• Flame500 says:

I think the real problem with making gadgets out of wood is that its not at all easy to mass produce. Plastic can be extruded in seconds whereas wood needs to be carved/milled and is far less predictable. There’s also the problem of getting a big enough piece of bamboo so that the phone wouldn’t have a glue joint.
    Not to mention splinters.

• Desostros says:

There are several new techniques that bind woodsplinters with sorts of plastic that can be injection moulded like any other plastic.

Not saying you’ll have the same nice oord effect,but it’ll be wood basically 🙂

• K-So says:

oh chute!

• Madcrazy says:

Am I the only who thinks biodegradable electronics are a bad idea?

• DSNOVAK5 says:

Its pretttyyy

• Freshome says:

Interesting idea …and I don’t know why I have a feeling that wood will be more and more present in future cellphones design.

• Zenpoet says:

I love the use of bamboo for as many things as they can find uses for it. I am looking at doing either cork or bamboo flooring for my home, and would be very happy to use a bamboo encased phone.

• ana luiza says:

muito boa essa novidade! é d mais alem de ecologicamente correto!!!

eu achei muito bonito! ja esta a venda?

• Gabriel Brazil says:

é uma boa … ficou bonito

its good … are wonderfull

• Gabriel Brazil says:

tem que disponibilizar modelos destes para nextel…

the nextel need’s this sample.

Aew abraço pro povo brasileiro ae xD

• Marc says:

OK then… The Grass-Huggers will be upset. Dang, that was too easy.

• Rewarp says:

How you treat your phone now, probably applies even if it’s made out of wood. Wood decays if you soak it in water, then again, would you soak your cellphone in water?

• wood door says:

I dont think it is wood…nice product.

• cman says:

SUSTAINABILITY DOES NOT EXIST WHEN THE BAMBOO IS COVERED IN RESIN PLASTICS AN MERGED WITH OTHER PLASTICS!

this is what is called a monsterous hybrid, 2 reusable materials fused as one, to create a hybrid material that is unrecyclable and not reusable. (just will add to the e waste).

well i suppose using bamboo in the first place is better than using plastics…oh wait…the amount of bamboo used is so minimal that the amount of energy used to harvest it, transform it, and fuse it to the phone is far greater than the simplicity of plastic manufacturability.

but heck, what would i know, im just an industry professional.

• ian davies says:

i think it luks hot but wudnt ur fone like, erode if it was recycleable n tbh i havnt the cash to keep buyin new1s

• Rhea says:

biodragable im not so sure of but i love the look I too love wood in design i think its a underutilised material however my questions is where on earth are the texting buttons….

• Igor Kolar says:

Now, I’m not particularly informed on the subject I think, but I’m pretty sure bamboo by itself only hold out to plastic in its natural, tube form, not pressed, cut, and painted with it very natural lacquer I’m sure. Also, I remember when people held out for a ‘bamboo notebook’ that ended up being a notebook, with a bamboo plate around the touchpad and that was it …

I’m not fond of ‘captain Kirk’ cellphones, so I might be biased, but I’m pretty sure candybar phones need less materials. If we’re truly talking about eco friendly and biodegradable, I think we should approach the design of cellphones from a completely new point of view.

• uesfitness says:

I also like the wood designs. They feel natural. This design is simple and beautiful.

• uesfitness says:

But I guess this phone is much more expensive to make..and I am a little worried about its durability.

• obviously,it is plastic

• It made of wood material

• marlon egghead says:

i like it… wonder if an egg phone can be made too lmao!!! but if you drop it, it cracks open and all the inside spills over the nice floor or carpet hahahahaha!!!

• It made of wood material,so fantasy

• It made of wood material,so fantasy

• of course like your website however you need to test
    the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues
    and I to find it very bothersome to inform the truth however I’ll
    surely come back again.

• Earnestine says:

each time i used to read smaller posts that also clear their motive,
    and that is also happening with this paragraph which I am reading at this
    place.

• If your visitor clicks on the ad, the visitor has to buy the product
    through Clickbank for you to get paid. Chances are you’ll in all probability be supplied a wordpress theme that simplifies the method.
    Jail a sense of so location: need to likes to often be reimbursed back as they go about doing,
    having said that very good day laborers desires to participate a group, which often usually means a little and give persons
    various successes and even this means.

• It is usually at this point that the most junior member of the household suggests that maybe I
    should put more water in the bowl so that the plunger has half a chance of success.
    Perhaps each toilet flush is becoming a little slower, or
    the tub isn’t draining after a shower, or an ominous noise is emanating from the sink.

Do not just ask any plumber to come over and do some immediate repairs.

• Okay, so you have a decent starting portfolio of ‘glamour photography’
    shots you’ve taken and assembled to show the possibilities of your range and depth of photographic artistry.
    This fabric is intended to be loose fitting, but wear it too
    loose and you’ll look fat. Being a model requires more than just being a pretty face.

• This is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very precise information… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

• Just follow the instructions, every person can fix these problems.
    ” In little time at all, the completed washing was spinning away drying in the only dryer, I was standing under a well eared hot shower giving myself a good rubdown. The body definitely contained a high volume of mucous and yeast.

• Anxiety and depression is common among hair loss sufferers, especially those experiencing total baldness.
    It can affect the appearance, confidence, and maybe even the self esteem of a person. The Hair Transplant Network gives an estimate of $4 to
    $8 per graft for a FUT procedure and $6 to $10 per
    graft for a FUE procedure.

• A Los Gatos plumbing expert is a strategy
    to all of your plumbing Los Gatos problems. The kitchen and bathroom are the
    places that we hang out in, at the end of a hard day. This can be an especially difficult task if you have oily skin.

• You can repeat this 6 – 7 times once or twice a day. Please read this
    disclaimer regarding the information you have just read.
    While part of that is true, at the root of each hair shaft is actually a seat of biochemical
    activity which explains how hair keeps growing about half an inch each month.

• For people who are prone to chafing should definitely go for
    tight clothing in order to avoid rubbing of clothes. There
    are many names for herniated disk: ruptured disk, slipped disk, bulging disk, crushed disk, compressed disk, etc.
    Stretching is really important because novices almost surely strain their muscles.

• Shop says:

First off I want to say superb blog!I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if
    you do not mind. I was curious to know hhow you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing.
    I’ve had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out there.
    I do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?
    Cheers!

• You will now have an even better roadmap to CPA offers that many experienced affiliates probably wish they had when they started out — What are the different
    types of CPA offers. No matter how much we dislike it still taxes are the fact of life.
    Head of House hold is preferable over filing as single.

• In the final analysis, a particularly good way so you can get a reliable price estimate for your kitchen remodel San Diego project is to clearly specify the details discussed above and then obtain 3 different bids from legitimate general contractors.

Cabinetry alone accounts for close to 50% of the total
    cost of the project – eating up half of your budget before you even blink.
    Start an inspiration file and share it with your designer during your initial meetings.

• Trying to make your ex lover jealous is one of the worst points you
    can do if you wish to obtain back with your ex, given that all it is going
    to do is reveal him that you have actually moved on and that he needs to do the very same.
    Stay away from obtaining dismayed if he is seeing a person else, considering that you will not be able to stop it
    no issue what you try.

• No need to replace hoses, fittings, pumps or expensive equipment.

Simply rub your finger-tips up and down about ten times and then rub them from the corners of
    your eyes outwards. As an aside this is not true in all cultures; in Japan for
    example a suntan is regarded as somewhat low
    class and Farmers and fisher folk are often sun tanned.

• It’s actually vedy complex in this active lifte to listen news on TV,
    thus I simply use internet ffor that purpose, and take the
    newest news.

• For just under $40, this unit features a zippered fabric door, four pockets, and 24 shoe compartments.

Wearing a size smaller than you should shows
    off every extra bit of fat you have. It is possible to use
    white yoga pants for a good deal of purposes.

• Transparent hair color simply cannot compare to the intensity
    and dramatic appeal of opaque hair color. Duty up with the
    current pattern trends is not as hard as it may seem all it takes is a few tricks and a bit of investigate.
    Their wearers are vivacious and playful, yet they don’t take themselves too seriously.

• Reinaldo says:

I think the admin of this web site is in fact working
    hard in favor of his web page, as here every stuff is quality based
    stuff.

• It is an unfortunate irony that many “nutritional” products people take to
    improve their appearance have the side effect of causing them to go bald.
    However, genetics and male sex hormones do not fully
    explain the exact mechanism that will cause hair
    loss to start. Warm water opens up the cuticle allowing
    you to clean the hair shaft, but if you use warm water to rinse your hair the cuticle will stay open allowing moisture in and the hair shaft to swell.