DeCon Post Modernism meets Gaudi in Singapore

Institutions of higher learning are not generally associated with any form of modern architecture. Aside from a few notables like Art Center School of Design in Pasadena and a hand full of others scattered around the globe, most people generally associate finer colleges and universities with stoic, stone carved vestiges of a time when men wore velvet and women were discouraged from even reading about velvet. A perfect example of how far we have come from that era is the LaSalle SIA Art College in Singapore. Housing six different schools of art in one fluid structure, architectural firm RSP have created an “Art Canyon” effect that successfully focuses the living energy internally. This internal focus ingeniously serves a dual purpose; by creating a creative hive effect of activity, while at the same time saving valuable real estate in a city quickly running out of usuable space. A near perfect example of form following function.

Architect: RSP [ Read More At: DesignBoom ]

Tags

• What a creative enviroment to learn in. I love the structure and see why students would be attracted to the structure. I would think it inspires students to think outside the box and be creative.

• TH says:

I like the design, although I don’t quite agree with the post in that most uni’s are old, stoic etc. Or do you mean that’s just what people think? That gut feeling would be wrong, though, as universities have a rich and longstanding tradition as being major commissioners of contemporary and stunning buildings.

• MINIX says:

it looks FANTASTIC!… man i love architecture…

• will says:

This is superb.

• The Artist says:

sorry to burst yr bubble, but there is one similar building in Denmark. It the royal library by schmidt hammer & lassen.

• Edmond says:

looks like Gary threw up

• Darling says:

OMG! This school looks so futuristic (which I suppose to go…). Coz I wanted to register for the LaSalle SIA Art College I read in the local newspaper ad. I didn’t know the building is so beautiful as a modern facade of glass & steel. But now I”m enrolled in the college known for it’s beauty of the oppostie type of architechtural design, SEGI College Malaysia. My college building looks are trying to achieve the old-fashioned European- Roman style, eventhough it’s only about a year old. It’s a new building trying to have the old look instead of this one!

• liting says:

It looks great! I’m singaporean and I’ve been to Lasalle and it’s sooo totally different from most schools. The angular + black steel and glass make me feels like I’m in some natural environment inspired >.<

• Ohmiga says:

Laselle~!

• Hi there, You have done a great job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am confident they’ll be benefited from this site.