Enlightened Door

The very stylish ORB Door Handle can be used in diverse scenarios thanks to the integrated LED light ring. For a bathroom door handle, a lit-up ring can indicate the room is busy. For a hotel room door it can signify DND and for the children’s room it can be the nightlight!

Designer: Michael Samoriz for Umbra-design

• design+ says:

very interesting concept. that detail drawing is pathetic but I would really love to see this developed further.

Concept and aesthetic is very unique.

1. how will it get powered? does that mean the door has to be special? modified?
    2. what is the lighting mechanism? is it on 24/7?
    3. what would be the expected manufacturing cost?

design doesnt stop with the looks.

• design+ says:

Concept and aesthetic is very unique.

2. what is the lighting mechanism? is it on 24/7?
    3. what would be the expected manufacturing cost?

design doesnt stop with the looks.

• door handles says:

A door without a door handle is of no real value and it is not just for style alone but also for functionality. Imagine having to push and pull a door, 20 times a day. It would be such a hassle, not to mention that people would opt for door free homes, which is a huge security risk.Shop door handles online at handystores.co.uk

• Thijs says:

I like how it looks in these images. It's quite obvious that the door has to be modified a lot to house the entire turning mechanics. I don't really care though, if you like something you might have to adjust sometimes. If you keep holding on to previously set standards, you will run in to borders eventually. I like thinking out of the set path.

The one thing I think is a problem is that it is too 'in your face' for something like a door handle. This is not something that you have at one or two places in your home. This is something that every door has two of, and most people have a lot of doors in their house. How good does it look when you have 20 of these handles in your house. It's like having the same painting on every wall. The beauty is lost in the numbers. A shame though, I like it as an idea.

• Thijs says:

• Grey says:

I Agree with design+ & Thijs, yet i think your design works with out the the lighting gimmick…also its obvious the the average door wont support the size or mechanics of the handle. So the door will have to be custom made or we buy the door and not just the handle? i can see the local carpenter struggle the fit that handle as well as place the center of the circle back. The light could be power with the kinetic energy, then i guess it will be a plus again.

• Grey says:

• joons95 says:

to keep this short, unlike much of the other product designs, this one is actually rather practical and I wish you good luck in production

• Michael says:

I unfortunately do not manufacturer of door handles ( , but I believe that this concept is not very difficult to manufacture, just want to change stereotypes in the environment now. With the development, LED lighting technology, hope it will be possible to implement … based on – the usual bearing, inside the orbit can be done the crack for plastic cards (hotel lock) Thank to all for attention to this short!!

• Michael says:

• Robby says:

“Design doesn’t stop with the looks”

It does on Yanko. Form Beyond Function.

• LG says:

“The one thing I think is a problem is that it is too ‘in your face’ for something like a door handle. This is not something that you have at one or two places in your home. This is something that every door has two of, and most people have a lot of doors in their house. How good does it look when you have 20 of these handles in your house. It’s like having the same painting on every wall. The beauty is lost in the numbers. A shame though, I like it as an idea.”

That doesn’t stop people from putting several copies of the same design doorknob throughout their homes, this isn’t really any different. If you want to have multiple copies of something in your home, why not make it something stylish like this?

• Alex says:

I agree with Lg it could be a bit much having them on every door, however its still a nice design.

• Gerard says:

Ultra-modern these door handles are awesome, a must have for me when they go into production. Would look especially good in bars and clubs.

• this is awesome! Is the wrench gilded on? It would be cool if you could remove it and store it under the mat!

• But because neither he nor Bloomberg got the magic 2/3, who vacated the House
    seat in Hawaii that Gabbard just won, they.