Transparent Translator

The following object is a Universal Translator designed for interpreting languages, objects, concepts, and customs. Through its window mode, text mode, and speech mode, it allows the user to have a better understanding of the world around them. Designed for a world where not only have we become globalized, initiating communication between people of ALL nations, we’re also in an age of progress, where people WANT to work with each-other, talking over all lines. Highly intuitive, modeled on early-learning concepts of language development, relating closely with the highly popular Rosetta Stone application.

Translate!

In Window Mode you look through the screen out onto the world, identifying objects which are then relayed to the user. A Wiki of information is available as provided by people living in the areas the translator is attempting to navigate.

In Text Mode you simply translate text phrases. Translate signs, papers, or any other lettered material. Again a Wiki of information is used, and like Wikipedia, a staff of moderators ensures non-vandalized, true info.

In Speech Mode you can translate spoken word as it happens, between multiple people. Mic and speaker are located at the top of the device. Speak into the device and it’s played back in the language of your choice.

Designer: Rachel Ilan Simpson

• Elena Sapnit says:

I love the sleek design. Though someone had invented a similar concept (from Nokia, I think) though it has a different feature as this one. I'd buy this! 😉

• Elena Sapnit says:

• arctic_ocean says:

i like it, its good! and fresh too! i wana buy 100 pls!

• arctic_ocean says:

i like it, its good! and fresh too! i wana buy 100 pls!

• Mcrow says:

have always been waiting for a screen like this to be produced to revolutionized consumer electronics!

• Mcrow says:

• Leon says:

so I guess, you have to keep on waiting, as this is only a concept.
    but I don't think, that by the time such displays find its way into consumer elerctronis anyone would pay that much money, just to get an translator. I'm afraid, that these things are going to be just another app on your smartphone…

• Leon says:

so I guess, you have to keep on waiting, as this is only a concept.

• gabe says:

no way leon, people will want one of these once they find out how easy it is to communicate with other cultures

• gabe says:

• Dorian says:

Could this not be done on a current smart phone using the built in mic, speaker, and camera? It wouldn't be quite a nice of a design, but the back facing camera on an iphone is the next best thing to having a transparent screen!

• Dorian says:

• Rachel says:

It's certainly possible, and there are plenty of great augmented reality applications available right now. (Though they don't have the full capabilities of this device yet.) I chose to design my own device for this project because I was interested in working with new transparent-display technology, and actually making full use of it's capabilities rather than simply making the display transparent for gadget/sex appeal. The full process documentation has clarification on this, and a few other issues that have come up. Drop me a line if you're interested:)

• Rachel says:

• Kirnst says:

isn't this like pranav mistry' sixth sense?

• Kirnst says:

isn't this like pranav mistry' sixth sense?