Piezoelectricity Generation X!

Electric polarization in a substance resulting from the application of mechanical stress – that’s what Piezoelectricity is. It’s used in these: Eco-Enegry Flooring System pads that use the pressure applied by people walking, running, rolling over to squeeze piezoelectric blocks. Upon squeezing, energy is generated and stored on a paper battery system. Then, THEN, the energy is used for, what else? LED lights!

The pads are actually made up of 6 layers. On top, the upper housing is water resistant, sealed with ultra-sonic welding to prevent moisture from entering the lower levels. Next, there’s the OLED board to be programmed with letters, patterns, all kinds of stuff to be lit up by the power below. Below that, sponge material working as cushioning and distribution of force and pressure. Under that, the Piezoelectric board containing crystal boards to generatre the energy. Below that PCB board. Below that the Paper Battery to store the energy. Then the bottom, the lower housing, the part that touches the ground.

Easy to transport, easy to use, basically perfect.

Cost effective? That’d be awesome.

Designer: Stephen Chan Wing Tak

Eco-Enegry Flooring System by Stephen Chan Wing Tak

ecoenergyflooringsystem02

ecoenergyflooringsystem03

ecoenergyflooringsystem04

• brack says:

so many possiblities…what about cost? durability?

• Scilly Guy says:

Is/would enough energy ACTUALLY created to offset the production here?

• In addition to this poster’s concern…

Has anyone even bothered to measure the efficiency of humans as energy producers? We emit CO2 as by-product of producing energy. Do we create more or less per unit of energy created than, say a coal fired power plan.

I know, I know, human produced energy is “natural” and therefore good, just like cobra venom and mercury.

I’m pretty sure we’re talking about a net waste of both carbon and money. But, hey it makes people feel good and enriches a company at the expense of the gullible. Now *that’s* good. P.T. Barnum said it best.

• sawer says:

people will be walking and breathing whether they are walking on this floor or not so your point of efficiency is irrelevant. confucius asked the right question

• Confucius says:

Please get over your ECO crap. Its not eco friendly, the cost of production of each unit would not offset the energy saved for years and years. Not before it would need to be replaced. Maybe if it pointed in the direction of the recycling bin it would help the Ecofriendlyness. Not a bad concept however, I quite like it.

• Reki says:

I hope that these make it into production as well.

And I agree. Get over the ECO crap.

• frezzingaces says:

i just like the fact they use a cart to move them, not some futuristic wonder train

• couragewolf says:

Cool concept, but there are much more efficent means of harvesting energy for stuff like that.

• WBB says:

• barry says:

yeah, nice to see u have concept post here! well done!

• Shelley says:

I love the presentation!
    hope the product will be real in market^^

• BB says:

The idea is so inspiring!! Keep going and you could be a great designer in future.

• Alti 4 says:

The annoying thing about your design is that it is not original. I actually designed this product back in 2006 for my senior thesis. Next time you design something, think about researching before you rip-off other peoples designs. You’re so DWR.

• Lin says:

Nice stuff and cool execution. I like the portable concept.

• nick says:

totally. ridiculous.

• idea: sturdy solar panels. would probably gather a lot more energy and cost less.

• Pingback: Piezoelectricity
  • Though whether this is applicable is still questionable, but still, it is a cool concept!

• Martin says:

Nice solution

• Jon says:

Enough with the Eco crap, bring out the cool stuff. Floor panels than eat power! Step on Starbucks panel and bam it creates a directional arrow guidance system you see in video games. Unless no one knows where they are going, there shouldn’t be paths everywhere.

• Helmut Ott says:

I am thrilled with your idea. My own idea of use of a similar principle could change the daily life of millions of people.

• Milan Thakkar says:

I actually did a science project on this at my school each transducer can run 60-250$ making it really expensive. I was given a few free samples for educational purposes to conduct a project. Each footstep can generate a couple volts which is good given this concept. No need to offset production, it’s not a polymer, its a crystal.

• felix kwok says:

The cost of the material so expensive, makes it not a practical idea.

• Reki says:

I think that if we were to use these mixed with a wireless charging system, we could keep our devices charged for as long as we continue walking.

• Teb says:

LUDICROUS!

• k says:

Think about if it is used on the mall…

and the mall is full of peoples…

and you put the indicator on the floor???

hA…

• power tread says:

im gunna tread my tires and shoes with this stuff…

• power tread says:

im gunna tread my tires and shoes with this stuff…

• Dooer says:

Awesome Idea!! This product may not create enough energy to offset production costs (both monetary and pollution), but it will stimulate others to develop similar designs that can be more easily recycled or upgraded. Rock on eco energy flooring systems using piezoelectricity!

• P.H. says:

“more efficient means of harvesting energy”? This is pretty irrelevant (unless you mean actually walkways harvesting when you say “for stuff like that”), because the energy of stepping is currently wasted. If you could harvest steps for the price of generating and delivering the energy (plus other wastes and costs) then you might have something. We would need to compare the cost of production to the fraction of the cost of the power-plant and delivery etc.

• lipposett says:

Hi i am wondering if these products are biodegradable and how for future use we can make them from totaly eviromental friendly materials.
    solar panels and windpower mills is the future.

sincerely lipposett

• trolangas says:

I think there is so much potential in this technology,what about developing for LED signaling systems in public places like busy intersections,were lots of people walk 24/7, maybe our engineers can adapt this technology to generate energy in major highways, bridges,like George Washington bridge,tolls,etc.I feel very optimistic about it and off course if if it s design to be low maintenance.

• Jimmy C says:

@Confucius: Eco crap, huh? As opposed to letting the world rot? It’s a nice idea and a decent design, leave it at that.

• jonboyD says:

I’m sure that if this was placed in a shoe, the efficiency would be greater.

• Dear \
    I am Eng.Magdy from National Glass & Crystal co. Egypt we are a glass containers production company and this e-mail is about the ability to buy a complete piezoelectric system form your company as a trial to use piezoelectric systems in our company.
    At first you have to knew that at the end of our 3 production lines we have a lot of forklift processing and we want to place the piezoelectric mat system under the forklift trip path
    The piezoelectric system composed of
    (Piezoelectric mat – recharging battery)
    *specifications of the piezoelectric mat
    Dimensions: w*l*t
    Covered with heavy duty hard rubber up and down side
    Electric output Cable and plug
    *Specifications of the recharging battery

• Dear \
    I am Eng.Magdy from National Glass & Crystal co. Egypt we are a
    glass containers production company and this e-mail is about the
    ability to buy a complete piezoelectric system form your company
    as a trial to use piezoelectric systems in our company.
    At first you have to knew that at the end of our 3 production lines
    we have a lot of forklift processing and we want to place the
    piezoelectric mat system under the forklift trip path
    The piezoelectric system composed of
    (Piezoelectric mat – recharging battery)
    *specifications of the piezoelectric mat
    Dimensions: w*l*t
    Covered with heavy duty hard rubber up and down side
    Electric output Cable and plug
    *Specifications of the recharging battery.
    i want to apply this system in principle to two storey building,laboratories,offices and when the application is success fully factory.

• Shawn Kingsberry says:

How can I purchase?

• Shawn Kingsberry says:

Reach out to me. I’m working a few energy projects and I may be able to connect you to it.

• Drusilla says:

I like the valuable info you supply for your articles. I’ll bookmark
    your blog and test once more right here regularly. I’m slightly certain I’ll
    be told many new stuff proper here! Good luck
    for the following!

• Sam says:

Wow, this is so creative.