Water In Thin Air

We all know about water vapor, and its laws for condensation. Applying this law to the “Dew Drop”, we have a device that is capable of extracting water from the air, condensing it and utilizing it for watering plants. All you need to do is insert the artificial leaf into the soil, plug it on and wait for stuff to happen!

Designer: Jacky Wu

Dew Drop Artificial Water Extractor for Plants by Jacky Wu

dewdrop2

dewdrop3

• Lamah says:

What a huge waste of energy! This is just about as anti-green as it gets.

• Astrid says:

Will it be available in Yanko shop?
      Please… :)

• sweet says:

sweet..I want one

• enoo says:

Plug it?!!!
      Ok, so instead of using water, you waste electricity, how great.

Maybe cool decorative glass/plastic leaves could be a good idea. Little sculptures for plants. But not this, please.

(Also note, it looks particularly good on the photos when covered with drops… which won’t happen, as the water seems to be generated on the bottom part of the ‘leave’. Basically, you’ll have to water your no-watering device to make it look nice. Woot!)

• C says:

First off, all water takes energy to get. Be it pumped from the ground or hoisted to a water tower, electricity is expended in its procurement. And don’t even get me started on the chemicals used to “purify” it.

This looks like an efficient, elegant design. I would speculate that the top surface gets cold, causing the water to condense and then drain into the plant, much like it drains inward on many real plant leaves. The underside is likely a heat sink to dissipate the heat that is pulled from the top of the unit.

The unit is probably silent as well, with no moving parts. I would go on to speculate that the device operates using peltier coolers – solid-state devices designed to move heat with nothing but electricity. See Wikipedia for more information on thermoelectric cooling.

I have no affiliation with the production, sale, or anything else relating to this device.

• Jeff says:

You would get the same effect (That is, watering your plants) just by having that same device, except filled with water, that is set to slowly trickle out.

This is a huge waste of energy.

• yosef shuman says:

i’m having trouble not imagining of how hideous a room would be with a couple plants in it. instead of seing nature, you see electric cords running all over the place.

also, since AC units in a building effectively dry out the air, this might nullify any dew-deriving functionality indoors.

Finally, if the humidity was taken from the air, would humans find it harder, or less comfortable, to breathe in a room with this object running? Chronic dry-mouth and wheezing is fun!!

• wow says:

yes, cause thats why if you have too many cold glasses of anythign in a room, the condensation that forms on the glass causes everyone in the room to have trouble breathing! you go to a restaurant, you see a party of 20 all ordering some cold beverage, you might as well choke yourself!

• Scudwerth says:

Not sure how you’re planning on making this work – I am assuming some sort of thermoelectric / peltier system. Either way, I agree with the plug-in comments – there are way more elegant ways to make this happen. Perhaps the top surface could have solar integrated while still permitting thermal conductivity to the panel. Thermal mass is also your friend, and could work in place of electricity – think about the time of day it could be collecting instead of full-time usage. Take a look at some natural precedents and man-made passive dew collector technology.

would work well in more humid climate. neat idea, nice build, could use tome fleshing out.

• Except the other comments:

This is a very… very old design. Designer was… I can’t remember but it was something Green, like a plant.

Why does a plant have this kind of designs, called “leaves” which are far greener and multifunctional – also can be produced by the plants in various sizes for different conditions.

So why?

• Pingback: Dew Drop
    • Ezrrom says:

It is a great green idea. I need to water my plants with destined water and the inverse osmosis waists a lot of water. It can be a big success among people who have carnivorous plants. With this system we don’t have to worrying about watering everyday our carnivorous plants, and we can use a solar panel instead of the electric grid.

• Ezrrom says:

Where can I buy these units? It is the best device I have seen. It can save me a lot of time. Please tell me where to buy them?

• Luff says:

Make this solar powered then we’ll talk. C:

• Since the plant needs light to grow, why not have a small 3d solar cell for all the power needed? Great idea for my automated organic greenhouses! One less thing needed to do in our multitasking, thank you!

• VegasJay says:

I would like to buy one, my plan would be to take it apart and use the parts to build a peltier base cooling plate for my butter dish. I live in Las Vegas and we keep the AC at about 82 in the summer, so parts of the house, for example the kitchen are above this temp.

This saves electricity used for AC but every summer the butter melts if I leave it out, and is too damn hard to spread if I leave it in the fridge. I figure a cooling base plate just for the butter would solve my problem, but I can't figure out if this thing is for sale or not

Vegas Jay

• VegasJay says:

Vegas Jay

• werover says:

good………….

• werover says:

good………….

• Ezrrom says:

I am still waiting from them to appear on the market. They will free me from taking care of watering my carnivorous plants every day, and it will be purer than the inverse osmosis filter I have, and I know it will require less maintenance.
      The people who have said it is a waste of energy do not know anything about distilled water. With this system there is not waste of residual water, as it happens with the inverse osmosis system.
      I need many of them, with them I could take trips without worrying about my carnivorous plants.

• Ezrrom says:

• Solaroo says:

This is greaaaaaat! Just use solar panel

• kim says:

Wow ..”” so good

• rencontre says:

I’m not sure why but this weblog is loading extremely slow for me.
      Is anyone else having this problem or is
      it a issue on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

• It is an excellent green plan. I need to water my plants with destined water and the inverse osmosis waists lot of water. It can be a large success among people that have carnivorous plants.

• Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.

You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?

• Alisia says:

In fact no matter if someone doesn’t know after that its up to
      other viewers that they will assist, so here it takes place.

• Nannette says:

I am genuinely thankful to the holder of this website who has shared this impressive post at at
      this place.