A Real Lifesaver

SOS Rescue Lifesaver Ring according to me is a completely well thought-out concept. It’s got GPS embedded into the ring that comes into play once the ring hits the water. The sea-water also helps generate electricity in the ring to power an in-built heater belt. This lifebelt will keep the victim warm and hopefully delay hypothermia. The rescue-ring also has compartments that can store small supplies of water and food. All these features collectively increase the chances of survival of a person lost at sea.

Designers: Sheng Zhe Feng & Yu Chi Huang

sos

sos2

SOS Rescue Lifesaver Ring by Sheng Zhe Feng & Yu Chi Huang

Shares 104

• Dyyami says:

Great idea!, although unpacking the goods in the ring in open (wild) waters might be a tricky experience…

• AlienzExist says:

Yea great concept. well done.

• yoyoMan says:

Nice concept, but if I went overboard and someone threw me one of these and left me there I would very very angry, or how exactly does one get a hold of this while in the water.

• ranjix says:

guess is more of a “boat goes down so everybody gets something floating and jump overboard” situation.

• mif991 says:

Nice job, specially the warming element to protect from hypothermia. Will it have shark repellant? 😉

• Jon says:

Impressive. This looks to be a very well thought out project. The heat element is a great idea. As Dyyami stated, it may be trouble getting the covers off to access food in rough water. It looks like those covers are fully detachable, which may be lost at sea after the first opening.

• Confucius says:

Maybe the GPS is a bad idea!? Its 50/50.. good if land is nearby, but when your lost somewhere in the middle of the pacific, do you really want to know how lost are?

• Confucius says:

you

• Margot says:

I wonder if the GPS only activates when the preserver hits the water if it can sense it is around a human? Otherwise if the ship were wrecked by weather or foul play, I could see a lot of wasted energy and expense to track down an empty lifesaver….

• Hele says:

Hy there. Interesting project. Can you tell us more about that heating belt? How does it work more precisely?

• rplatter says:

I would suggest using a filter to convert the salt water or fresh into safe water. Something like a life straw that can then be embeded into the ring so it couldn't fall off. I see the GPS as a position strobe. Something that broadcasts the location of the ring so rescuers can find it. A strobe light would also be handy. I think this type of device is more usefull for short term survival rather than long term. (Hours rather than days) so I don't think food is something that needs to be included. You have to sleep some time, and then you will fall off this. Because of how much energy is required to heat water, the heater mechanism would be a waste of space. But maybe a chemical heat pad attached to a collar mechanism would work. Something that activates on contact with water too.

• rplatter says: