Roofus, Man’s Best Friend

Shoveling snow looks like a hell of a job at the best of times, but when faced with commercial sized buildings, apparently it’s so bad it takes up to 25 men to get the job done. That’s where the humorously named “Roofus” comes in.

Roofus is happy to take the job on single handed, collecting and dumping the snow via remote or autonomously. When there’s no snow to move, Roofus can be fitted out with a variety of attachments for more mundane tasks such as mowing and cleaning. Joyriding is not recommended, but who could resist?
It features two electric motors, caterpillar tracks, and sensors on each side of its body for navigation, tips the scales at a touch over 100kg it’s and can take 250kg per load.

Designer: Michal Glogowski

• Rodrigo says:

Nice presentation!
    Which software did you use to render?

• Keith says:

Good concept. I would just be wary of any computer-controlled machine that has exposed cutters, such as a snow-blower.

• Ja says:

I just just see it hitting the headlines, “Roofus eats small child: no not the dog, the snow machine controlled by the neighbor”

• Eric says:

I’d be more wary of the users who would abuse such things as a computer-controlled machine that moves snow. The machine itself is a great idea, long time waiting for many snow dwelling consumers… Im sure if its running low on power or looses it’s wireless connection it returns to home base automatically like the Romba?

• zippyflounder says:

I guess the designer dont realize that snow is 80-90% air, meaning that hopper is WAY WAY too small.

• Michal Glogowski says:

Oh boy, you shoot me! First – snow is 100% water. And which type of snow do you mean? Wet maybe? Do you know the weight of different types of snow and do you know what is the roof weight resistance per m2? Think about it.

• Devin says:

Cool. I want a mini one for my driveway!

• Tymtravler says:

Great Job, pay no attention to those Nay Sayers. I am sure they also said bad things about the Romba. I would love to have one for my drive way. Small version of course and the optional lawn mover and leaf mulcher.

• Cromagnum says:

A friend showed it to me, thinking it might be good for his house…. no not for his sloped roof. Although, in snowdrift country …… I wonder just how many people realize that the design is for industrial/commerical buildings.

Issues i see
    1) What is the expected PSF on the tracks? One of the biggest advantages is the reduction of damage to older roofs by less walking. The machine might also be converted into a man carrying roof device for the same reason.
    2) You need a physical bar on the front of the snow grinder, to prevent runing into objects that are out of sight.
    3) Seperator to keep gravel out of the hopper
    4) better way to get the machine to the roof. Lifting eye(s) are better, easier, and safer.
    5) Hopper dump. Needs to lift up and over the taller parrapets, or to a rooftop snowmelter. Enlarge capacity as others have said. what device will make sure the whole hopper gets packed adequately? Maybe a small hydraulic arm compacts it like a trash truck does.
    6) Where is the Zamboni attachment? thats what this reminds me of.

• Dulin Ebanks says:

did you sell the design yet and how long did it take for you to come up with this design! Also more information on the chute in the design.