Blind Stick With Eyes

It is the familiar red and white stick, but with enhanced features that make it quite a practical solution for blind commuters. The Eye Stick is fitted with a sensor lens towards the bottom part, from where it picks up location bearings, like is the person nearing a staircase, or is he near the traffic lights. It then sends feedback to the blind commuter via vibrations, communicating the scenario, so that the person can be aware of his surroundings and take his next step with confidence.

Designer: Wonjune Song

Eye Stick For The Blind by Wonjune Song

eyestick2

eyestick3

• Anonymous says:

this is great, its good to know some ones looking out for the blind.. ive seen people kick/shove the stick away when i blind person’s stick gets near them..

• Jeff says:

This sounds like a wonderful product for people who are blind. Does anyone know whether or not these are available for purchase yet and where they would be on sale?

• Mike says:

Great idea, I think this could really help the blind. Unfortunately, I think the police may disapprove of cameras in walking sticks…

• cbwilson says:

I’m an Orientation and Mobility specialist working with the blind and visually impaired. I was wondering how durable the camera is, being located at the tip of the cane. That portion of the cane receives alot of impact recognizing obstacles in the periphery, but also drop off of curb lines, and stairs. Is there a possibility the camera could be thrown off from the midline position, or totally disabled by extended impacts over time? Also, I was very interested in the camera’s ability to identify the color of the traffic light. Usually we work with students to identify traffic flow, and identify lull’s in traffic patterns, or crossing with the parallel traffic flow. How would a student know where to aim their cane in order for the camera to identify the color of the traffic light? Also, how does the camera deal with turning lane lights? I think this concept is wonderful, I’m just interested in the functionality and overall durability for a client that travels in complex environments. Also, the availability for students both financially and instruction on using this cane. Is there an alternate format instruction pamphlet, or should the student contact their O&M instructor in use of cane. Is there an option for inservice for O&M personnel before we’re required to work with a student who has purchased this product? Looking forward to your response. C. Wilson

• Jason Terryn says:

Hello, As a blind person myself I can appreciate the care and thought put into the idea but personally I think it sound disastrous. I can't imagine such a technology performing in a reliable enough manner that I'd be willing to put my life on the line, say, at a traffic light based just on the information it provided. Plus, a typical cane is good enough to tell me when I come across stairs, or a different texture of pavement etc. I think the information from a cane like this might end up simply being distracting. Just my two cents.

Also, a properly-trained blind person isn't in grave danger whenever we walk down the street or encounter stairs. Just saying.

• Jason Terryn says:

• Jason Terryn says:

PS. The alt text on the images is not very informative at all. If a sighted person didn't read me the text in the images I wouldn't have been able to access it.

• Jason Terryn says:

• Jason Terryn says:

Also, a properly-trained blind person isn’t in grave danger whenever we walk down the street or encounter stairs. Just saying.

• Jason Terryn says:

• Dan says:

Hello, I would like to speak with the designer, so if you're available to talk via email please contact me at the coordinates provided. Thanks

• meghana M Phadke says:

from where i can get this cane? what is price? I have a blind daughter. for her i want to purchase it. please reply on my mail.id.

• meghana M Phadke says:

• VeeAuditore says:

So, like, pretty much what Auggie Anderson has. Alright.

• Ildiko says:

hello,
      I’m learning product design, and i want to design a device for blind people. i would like to ask what is your opinion about my ideas, if it is possible. thanks.

• maham says:

helllo…whats the price of this cane?
      what is its price?
      how we can purchase it?
      thnx…plx reply me on my id….

• maham says:

is it available in pakistan???

• Charny Naude says:

I am living in Dubai and my sisters daughter is blind, I would like to get her one of these Walking sticks with the camera. Is it available on the market and who would sell that in the United Arab Emirates or even in South Africa

• priya says:

could you please say me what type of signal is implemented in it…..is this capable of recognize the socket present in switch box???….

• zayra olvera says:

I’m from Mexico,San Luis Potosi and I would like to buy this because my dad had an accident almost one year ago and he need to walk every day to a school. Iam interesting to buy If you have good news tell me please
      I am interested in purchasing. blessings
      thanks

• Seshan Radha says:

Please tell me the price of each eye stick. the details on the same.

Where it is available in India and the shop details please- Seshan radha

• Seshan Radha says:

Hi – I am from India. Please send me the details and the price of each eye stick.

Where it is available in India and which shop.
      seshan Radha

• Hockeyjerni says:

I am curious how many blind and visually impaired individuals that are cane travelers (not stick travelers) will be willing to pay whatever this thing costs vs paying $35 to $40 for any variety mobility cane already on the market that does not require batteries. I think the idea is sort of neat, but I also hate the implication in the advertising that “blind people have a big problem of danger.” I have been providing orientation and mobility services for the past 15 years and have yet to have a client/student get injured as the result of using the basic mobility cane. To me the name “Eye stick” gives me the image of somebody putting a stick in their eye. The device that non-dog guide travelers use is known as a mobility cane or cane…not stick.

• Hockeyjerni says:

Before using any blind travel device like a cane, you should seek out Orientation and Mobility training for him first. There is a lot that goes into orientation and mobility travel beside just knowing how to put a cane in front of you (various cane techniques, how to use environmental clues, how to time street crossings….)

• Hockeyjerni says:

One more concern. I would more impressed if the device could detect the “walk/don’t walk sign” more than being able to detect whether the traffic light is green or red. There are a lot of intersections that may have a green light on, but not be ok for the pedestrain to cross at any particular time based on cycle patterns and traffic surges.

• a c says:

please send me details, thanks

• I’ve been lookin for this since long time…
      can u plz send me the hardware& the software sensors of this stick i so need it to my university project …that would be amazing thank u so much for the awesome design. just send me details THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.

• KHALID DRABU says:

where to buy in India

• Charny says:

Any news on the cane stick with the camera

• hila says:

where can i purchase this item????

• hila says:

where can i purchase this item?

• lmenclark125 says:

I live in the USA. I would like to purchase this Eye Stick Cane for the blind. Is it comercially available for sale in the USA. If it is where can it be purchased?
      Thanks

• Vicente Visuette says:

Is this available for purchase

• Gustavo says:

where can i purchase this item?

• junaid says:

I’m interested to buy this cane please guide me how much is it cost and where I would find in Karachi Pakistan

• where can i purchase this item?