More Sake!

When I want more sake, I want more sake. Just like when I want more water, more soda, more whiskey, or more soda AND whiskey. But in the places I love to take my sake, traditional opaque containers are still king. In a single act of brilliance, David Ngo has solved not only my sake problem, but the problems of all opaque drinkers everywhere! No longer will I have to wallow in the confusion of a container with hidden contents! Now my sake will light me up LITERALLY!

As its designer, David Ngo, puts it: “Toumei” (japanese for ‘clear’) was created out of transparent material and includes an L.E.D. light built into the base which illuminates the level of sake left in the carafe. The light can also be used as a signal to the waiting staff that the patron needs more sake. In addition, a unique groove on the top assists in the delicate activity of pouring into small sake cups, creating a more gratifying experience both functionally and aesthetically.”

In a nutshell: this container lights up the level of remaining liquid, and the groove at the top is made to pour into small cups. Let me ask you this, sake drinkers: could this new take on the sake container appease you?

I’d never thought too much about the “traditional” nature of the container before seeing the Toumei, might some people take offense?

Designer: David Ngo

Shares 140

• zippyflounder says:

I like my sake hot, generaly i just pop the ceramic jug in the microwave and zap it for a few….wonder if the led and battery will like being zapped by a microwave oven. Its a nifty idea except for that.

• Tim says:

I assume that good sake (which is served cold / at room temp) would be served from this, although I do agree that some people still like it warm and nuking the electronic components might not be such a good idea! Although from the pic the light part looks removable leaving only the glass.

• Reis says:

One thing I like a bout this one is not only the modern take on things and inclusion of LEDs. But also that it connects to old woodwork. As for the abvious; can you not see the work of a Hansol samuraj sword in the hands of The Bride as she cut right through a large bamboo? Especially in the last picture…

• IGreenSpot says:

great idea, I guess that’s make the sake bottle looks modern and cool

• Todd says:

My first requirement would be that the container was made from an inert material such as glass or ceramic. From the photograph it doesn’t look to be. I also searched the internet and didn’t find the answer. Assuming that it isn’t made from an inert materal I would not have any interest in in no matter how stylish it may be.

• e says:

@ Todd

I have a set of frosted GLASSes from Japan with a finish much like that. The sensation of holding them is quite nice. They’re extremely smooth, but not in the least slippery.

I think they’d go well with this. I like the thickness of the carafe. Very sexy.

I think the LED is rather tacky though. It has also resulted in the rather cludgy base. I think the base kills it for me. I’d like to see a solid base in a similar finish with a blown bubble embedded in it or something like that.

• mike says:

two words – star trek

• Shiella says:

Putting LED light inside the sake bottle is good idea. The bottle looks more aesthetics.