Naked UNbrella

Hey, Let me just say I give props to anyone out there thinking green and trying to make the world a better place through design. That being said, mad props to designer Shiu Yuk Yuen. She is out there fighting the good fight, and her latest design inspiration may be a bit of a mis-fire(in my opinion), but still deserves to be dissected, praised or criticized with the best of them. Her “Eco-Brolly” umbrella design might be more aptly named an UNbrella. This “UNbrella” design has you running to find some um… protection, when you need it the most. The idea was to reuse discarded newspapers as the canopy for your umbrella skeleton, therefore making this design “green.” My only issue with this is that if you can’t find a discarded newspaper, you are left just wet, not green. Issue two for me, I am always using my umbrella to break my fall when jumping off of building or falling from the sky, or on my way to work babysitting British children…this just won’t do the trick. Cheerio!

Designer: Shiu Yuk Yuen

Texts from the designer:

This umbrella can re-use and adapt objects such as newspaper, card, and plastic bag and turn it into an umbrella. It can re-use whatever the consumer thinks of reusing. It is a supporting devise when it rains, all the user has to do is unscrew the top lid, poke the lid onto the middle of the newspaper, quick screw to secure it & open it out like an umbrella!

It is used for short distances, but it can be used longer, by clipping the clips at each end of the umbrella onto the newspaper to stabilise it. It is pocket size, lightweight aluminium, suitable for Britain, where the weather is unpredictable, especially for Central Londoners, where free newspaper is available.

• Gret says:

People keep saying that once you buy a real umbrella it lasts forever. Well, I don't know how windy your country is, but here, an umbrella barely lasts a whole winter. They break as soon as a strong breeze turns it inside out. As far as I'm concerned, this is a very good way to go "eco" since newspapers can be recycled (and can be dried, you know)

I have to admit that I don't think it's very wind durable, but I think this would be a perfect parasol.

• Jane says:

you argue that the reason you need to throw away all your old umbrellas is wind, but then point out how this design wouldn't work in windy conditions… smart.

• Gret says:

People keep saying that once you buy a real umbrella it lasts forever. Well, I don't know how windy your country is, but here, an umbrella barely lasts a whole winter. They break as soon as a strong breeze turns it inside out. As far as I'm concerned, this is a very good way to go “eco” since newspapers can be recycled (and can be dried, you know)

• Jane says:

• Daniel says:

How, exactly, is this better than just holding a newspaper over your head? How wet will you end up trying to fiddle this thing open and attach a newspaper to it, when if you had the newspaper to begin with you could just hold it over your head the moment the rain starts pouring down?

This won't last any longer than holding a paper over your head…. is no more durable than holding a paper over your head… is no more effective than holding a paper over your head… is more expensive than holding a paper over your head… and is slower than holding a paper over your head.

• Sall says:

the point of this umbrella is to encourage the society to take part in recycling. This does work as an eco friendly umbrella, because recycling requires the people to get their hands messy. If you cant even do that, then the planet wont get any better, so you prefer to make products that looks eco, or requires you to get involve? .. this is what the product does! so your wrong!

• Daniel says:

Shouldn't design be about improving things in some way ?http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/zG/r/QVAKZwo2mNu.gif“ target=”_blank”> http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/zG/r/QVAKZwo2mNu.gif” target=”_blank”>?http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/zG/r/QVAKZwo2mNu.gif

• Sall says:

• Kinsei 2 says:

I ACTUALLY was pretty pleased to search out this particular web-site.I wanted to thank you for your effort with this excellent read!! I positively loving every little bit of it and I have you book-marked to see fresh items you text.

• Kinsei 2 says:

• Auguste says:

i love it. where do i buy one. maybe 2.

can’t believe people getting their boxer shorts in a bunch just because it is not perfect, or that it is not as pedantic as they are. total yawn mangs! you guys should write papers. not design.

• mnpdigi says:

what happen to the production? Launch @ still developing? :-)