Naked UNbrella

Hey, Let me just say I give props to anyone out there thinking green and trying to make the world a better place through design. That being said, mad props to designer Shiu Yuk Yuen. She is out there fighting the good fight, and her latest design inspiration may be a bit of a mis-fire(in my opinion), but still deserves to be dissected, praised or criticized with the best of them. Her “Eco-Brolly” umbrella design might be more aptly named an UNbrella. This “UNbrella” design has you running to find some um… protection, when you need it the most. The idea was to reuse discarded newspapers as the canopy for your umbrella skeleton, therefore making this design “green.” My only issue with this is that if you can’t find a discarded newspaper, you are left just wet, not green. Issue two for me, I am always using my umbrella to break my fall when jumping off of building or falling from the sky, or on my way to work babysitting British children…this just won’t do the trick. Cheerio!

Designer: Shiu Yuk Yuen

Texts from the designer:

This umbrella can re-use and adapt objects such as newspaper, card, and plastic bag and turn it into an umbrella. It can re-use whatever the consumer thinks of reusing. It is a supporting devise when it rains, all the user has to do is unscrew the top lid, poke the lid onto the middle of the newspaper, quick screw to secure it & open it out like an umbrella!

It is used for short distances, but it can be used longer, by clipping the clips at each end of the umbrella onto the newspaper to stabilise it. It is pocket size, lightweight aluminium, suitable for Britain, where the weather is unpredictable, especially for Central Londoners, where free newspaper is available.

• i would use a plastic-bag for rainy days, but what can we do on a windy day?

i do not see a mechanism holding down the paper…..

• igreenspot says:

hm… mostly umbrella is used during rainy days, I don’t think using a newspaper can help me stays dry. But I really appreciate the idea …

• i would use a plastic-bag for rainy days, but what can we do on a windy day?

i do not see a mechanism holding down the paper…..

• Lim says:

Yah… I think the idea is defitnetly there, but i think, practicality wise doesnt work. Probally can be use only for light rain.

• AM says:

I agree with you on that one. It has potential but all in all the logistics are not there yet.

• interesting……might come in handy

• devon knight says:

why not just a regular umbrella? once you buy one, they last forever!

• So says:

Ah ha .. So this is your secretive idea! Haha

• zippyflounder says:

ummmmmmmmm no, rain and wind are a bound set and that rig is worthless in any wind over the ammout produced by a baby birds belch.

• jon says:

Instead of buying and using forever a real umbrella, a person picks up a fresh piece of newspaper that, when soaked, will probably end up in the trash can? Obviously, trash cans are more prevalent than recycle bins, so is the user going to carry around a soaking newspaper till they find the right bin? Come on, just buy a real umbrella!

• Steve Page says:

Could the tube not include a lightweight fabric or plastic, maybe teflon coated cloth so you had a micro umbrella that fits in pocket or handbag that take up very little room, weighs almost nothing and is there for lightweight emergency usage?

Make that fabric reflective and it could be a summer parasol for very hot days?

• Evath says:

Now, your idea (obvious as it should have been to Shiu) could be an alternative that comes with the unbrella making it that much more versatile an item.
      Perhaps she could send along a pattern and people could use that to cut out other “now useless” items that aren’t fit to pass on, or give away, like an old shower curtain liner (often colorful and decorative), or raincoat, (which is very utilitarian), or the ubiquitous plastic shopping bag.
      Allowing the buyer to use a broad range of other items would TRULY make this UNbrella ‘green.’

• subesh says:

absurd………. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Evath says:

Where is YOUR ‘better’ mousetrap?????
      At least give the girl some love for making an effort to save us from ourselves
      and save the rainforest. ;-D

• paul sandip says:

wonderful!

• anto says:

greaaaaat

• Jerry Chen says:

humor

• Hello, I am the designer of the Eco Brolly. Thank yanko for complimenting on my design and thank all of you here for your feedback on my design. Your feedback has helped improve the design further, so thank u. There is improvement that needs to be made. The design is currently being developed into production and soon it will be out in the market for everyone, not just Londoners.

• Andreas says:

realy coool ๐Ÿ˜€

• Nanie says:

its a great idea but i dont see people rooting around for an already used newspaper. its a cute idea for keeping out of the sun or just from running from the metro station to your office building but i can see those free newspaper stands emptying out crazily as people frantically search for clean paper instead of the kind that the hobos used for blankies.

now if you could open a plastic shopping bag and use that for the umbrella cover, that would be more waterproof and more likely to be used instead of paper, granted people are saying that you need to use the canvas shopping bags but still, plastic makes a more protective thing. plus keeping recycling containers on streetcorners and just outside buildings, offering users to recycle the covers or leave lightly used bags for others to take.

• Dave says:

The design does not need any improvement. It needs to be abandoned.

C’mon, folks, lets get real! Just because something has the word ‘green’ in front of it, doesn’t give it a free pass. Its also got to work, which this utterly fails at. In fact, even if this product got made, it would be thrown out immediately. That’s the opposite of green.

• Nadia says:

wot u said dnt make sence… if its in the market then it means it work! .. and u just said it fails… im sure the designer knows about this design well enough to know if it will work or fail.. afterall its her design!

• anonymous says:

serious, why not just use ur hands to hold the newspaper.. can’t get greener than that

• gypsypunk says:

a used tarpaulin or plastic bags may be good alternatives for a newspaper… a paper is definitely absurd to use as cover for rainfall…

• Irene says:

i appreciate the idea but this design does not workable for heavy rain pour. Furthermore, carrying the umbrella with newspaper will make that person looks awful and cheap.
    No thanks.. I wouldn’t buy this type umbrella as it is wasting money.

• jahan says:

the design is not updated, in news paper used for the top,which dated on it, indicate that, the design was not very new.

• Gret says:

People keep saying that once you buy a real umbrella it lasts forever. Well, I don't know how windy your country is, but here, an umbrella barely lasts a whole winter. They break as soon as a strong breeze turns it inside out. As far as I'm concerned, this is a very good way to go "eco" since newspapers can be recycled (and can be dried, you know)

I have to admit that I don't think it's very wind durable, but I think this would be a perfect parasol.

• Jane says:

you argue that the reason you need to throw away all your old umbrellas is wind, but then point out how this design wouldn't work in windy conditions… smart.

• Gret says:

People keep saying that once you buy a real umbrella it lasts forever. Well, I don't know how windy your country is, but here, an umbrella barely lasts a whole winter. They break as soon as a strong breeze turns it inside out. As far as I'm concerned, this is a very good way to go “eco” since newspapers can be recycled (and can be dried, you know)

• Jane says:

• Daniel says:

How, exactly, is this better than just holding a newspaper over your head? How wet will you end up trying to fiddle this thing open and attach a newspaper to it, when if you had the newspaper to begin with you could just hold it over your head the moment the rain starts pouring down?

This won't last any longer than holding a paper over your head…. is no more durable than holding a paper over your head… is no more effective than holding a paper over your head… is more expensive than holding a paper over your head… and is slower than holding a paper over your head.

• Sall says:

the point of this umbrella is to encourage the society to take part in recycling. This does work as an eco friendly umbrella, because recycling requires the people to get their hands messy. If you cant even do that, then the planet wont get any better, so you prefer to make products that looks eco, or requires you to get involve? .. this is what the product does! so your wrong!

• Daniel says:

Shouldn't design be about improving things in some way ?http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/zG/r/QVAKZwo2mNu.gif“ target=”_blank”> http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/zG/r/QVAKZwo2mNu.gif” target=”_blank”>?http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/zG/r/QVAKZwo2mNu.gif

• Sall says:

• Kinsei 2 says:

I ACTUALLY was pretty pleased to search out this particular web-site.I wanted to thank you for your effort with this excellent read!! I positively loving every little bit of it and I have you book-marked to see fresh items you text.

• Kinsei 2 says:

• Auguste says:

i love it. where do i buy one. maybe 2.

can’t believe people getting their boxer shorts in a bunch just because it is not perfect, or that it is not as pedantic as they are. total yawn mangs! you guys should write papers. not design.

• mnpdigi says: