Caterpillar Stretcher Scoffs At Stairs

Caterpillar stretcher unit provides ergonomic and time saving transportation. 80% of patients being moved to the hospital by ambulance are not acute cases. They are conscious and aware of what is happening. However carrying a stretcher downstairs, with a 100-kilo person is not a pleasant experience for a patient or the paramedics. The patients feel insecure, and often in panic reacting by grabbing the stair railing which can result in a fall for all three involved, especially as they are often carried downstairs in a backwards position. Because it takes two paramedics to carry out this task, they must make extra trips up and down to fetch equipment and the patient’s belongings. With the Caterpillar Scoop it’s possible for one paramedic to move a patient downstairs, the second paramedic can carry the equipment.

Designer: Morten Wagener

Caterpillar Scoop

• Rich says:

I’m not sure this is really new. Its essentially an appliance dolly for people. Great adaptation of the concept though.

• Kerry says:

I am a fire fighter and soon to be emt here in ny we have lots of medical calls and many of them happen in houses with 2 floors. right now we have a stretcher and a stair chair. this device would make it so much easier if we had this. please put this in the real world many fire departments would deff, buy…

• Schwnj says:

As a former EMT, let me just say that it SUCKS to carry someone down 8 stories of stairs in a 100-year old building. This seems like a good idea, but it looks like it would work best with long, straight flights of stairs. In some old buildings, the staircases are only a few feet long with multiple landings in between floors; this would be of limited use there.

• Kerry says:

ya i agree so maybe you make some demos and ill be more then happy to bring it to the fire commissioner which happens to be my father and will demo it for you

• Joanne says:

The lady I work for uses a wheelchair and would be very interested in purchasing this product. Does anyone know if/when this is to be for sale? If so, has the designer released a price or a way to order one?

• Eastern Medical Alli says:

I own a small ambulance service in a rural area, 3 ALS rigs, 2 BLS rigs as well as an ALS SUV. We have a huge problem w/ back injuries. Many homes are mid-19th century Victorian, with either circular stairs or long flights of stairs. I'd like more information on this product, but before anything, I'd like to see a price. I'd need 6 of the units. Cost is a major concern. Fewer insurance companies are paying the bills for BLS only emergencies, Medicare included, and few patients can afford either service b/c of low incomes and other expenses. I'd be interested if they cost less than $1200.00 each, or there was some sort of bulk deal. Supposing they were less than $1000, each, I'd buy 8 of them.

• Eastern Medical Alliance says:

I own a small ambulance service in a rural area, 3 ALS rigs, 2 BLS rigs as well as an ALS SUV. We have a huge problem w/ back injuries. Many homes are mid-19th century Victorian, with either circular stairs or long flights of stairs. I’d like more information on this product, but before anything, I’d like to see a price. I’d need 6 of the units. Cost is a major concern. Fewer insurance companies are paying the bills for BLS only emergencies, Medicare included, and few patients can afford either service b/c of low incomes and other expenses. I’d be interested if they cost less than $1200.00 each, or there was some sort of bulk deal. Supposing they were less than $1000, each, I’d buy 8 of them.

• Dave says:

Every day I am amazed at the number of people who ask “Where do I buy one?”

Folks, if they were for sale, they would tell you. If they do not, which is the case 99% of the time on a website that specializes in CONCEPTS, then it does not exist. I guess the designers need to add captions that say “3D rendering. Not real. Not for sale. Stop asking.”

• I Am Going To have to return again when my course load lets up – nonetheless I am getting your Feed so i can read your web blog offline. Cheers.