Alert Staples!

Its not earth-shattering innovation but a simple tweak that makes the Alert Staples a very clever product. The last endpins of the staples are painted red, just to let you know that the end is near and replenishment of pins is required. When you are on a stapling spree, this kinda helpful hint helps! Ask your office staff!

Designers: Wei-Ling Hsu, Yu-Ren Lai & Cyuan-Yi You

• Ronnie says:

Simple but great idea. Nice job.

• Grey says:

Is this really a new idea? I seem to remember the last 1/2 inch (1 cm.) or so being gold coloured on my mothers staples when I was a child.

I always thought that was so you knew it was running out.

(I could be crazy, but if my memory serves me. lol)

• Patrick911 says:

Anyway, you find out soon enough when they are running out, it is not that you will be damaged if they do.

• Patrick911 says:

I remember that as well, just started working in an office and I noticed not the last couple of staples were colored, but just one. Just a bit before the last one (if you put it in the right way).

• Gerry says:

I think about this EVERYTIME i run out of staples…why is this not being made?

• Jeff Thomas says:

It’s not a new idea. Us patent 2,224,4461 in 1938 is where the idea originated from. There have also been several attempts to patent the same exact design as shown in this article, in 1993 and in 2003. I think those were the years, but the patents were not granted due to the 1938 patent.