Water Vigilance and Measure

Call it the vigilance committee or eco-functionality, but you have to hand it to the Cook Faucet for being a cool way to measure and keep a tab on how much water you consume. The buttons on the tap are divided into 100 ml, 500 ml and 1 liter and if you need some more, simply press the button for a wee bit longer or opt for the normal.

Cook Faucet is a 2012 iF Design Talents Winner.

Designer: Jae il Bae

• Quintin says:

Interesting. Is the flow of the water also dependant on each button?

You usually let water flow more slowly in a glass (2x100ml?) than in the water cooker (1+ liter).

I think I’ll keep using the classic means of measuring though… has been working fine, so far!

• Jimmy C says:

Huh. That’s actually pretty good! But I would want it in cups and ounces.

• Vesa M says:

I have worked with a prototype of similar concept.

The idea was well received, but measurements do not support any excising mental models and add complicity to otherwise very simple activity.

Within a test period of 1 month most participants used the buttons with measurements (and activities as that concept involved) massively during the first day but after 3rd day only the “regular” button got used—even for activities that did have program on the fauchet.

Changing user behavior would require something else than buttons with obscure labels.

• Rawwhale says:

What does the “cook” button do?

Do you have the hold the buttons down? That’s not just insanely annoying, but makes most tasks impossible like washing dishes or filling two-handled pots.

• sumedh says:

I guess it gives put hot water. Its in red. Just a thought.

• Peter says:

Very nice idea.
    I am still missing couple of common functionality there, like regulation of an intensity of the water flow for example or maybe some “memory” button I can set for my favorite cup of coffee..

• victorious says:

this faucet will need more buttons..

• Hunter says:

It’s not a button. It’s just a branding logo.