Drinkable Sea Water

Before you scream ‘absurd’, let me tell you that I am talking about Puri – a sea water desalinating bottle. There are several ways to remove saline from sea water, for example evaporation, vapor-pressure, and ion-exchange membrane method but all of them are not practical for use on a life raft or rescue boat and require big equipments. The Puri on the other hand is a slim portable bottle that works with a pumping action. Take a look at its video below.

Puri is a 2013 IDEA Design Awards entry.

Designers: Younsun Kim, Kangkyung Lee, Byungsoo Kim and Minji Kim

[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6Q-ccjpsI 600 451]

• Christopher says:

You need to generate 600-1200 psi (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis) to do this.
    This is not possible with this kind of pump – I.e. try this with a bike pump & you’ll max-out at about 150psi. There are commercial units out there with lever actions, but from what I’ve heard, they’re a lot of work to operate & cost about $600/unit. Of course on a life raft there’s lots of spare time.

• stephen russell says:

Test this in India, Haiti, Caribbean, Africa alone for drinkable water or Pacific islands
    Issue for use on rafts & emerg gear on ships, crise ships esp & naval ships
    Must have for worldwide use

• heather fromkin says:

Hi I love Puri! Is it available to buy? Does it filter other bacteria as well? Great Design!
    Thanks,
    Heather

• boondockmom says:

Puri is too practical not be able to purchase. Use Ingiegogo or kickstart to gather funds, promote and get advanced orders. This is an essential item for coastal areas that a prone to earthquakes or tsunamis. We will need potable water. Think Japan, San francisco, the caribbean – people will want this in the emergency packs – I know I do and I would buy a minimum of 4. Let me know when you get started and I will be glad to be your first customer!

• Sam says:

ABSURD! Haha, but seriously. Too much pressure is needed

• Fernanda says:

Hi,

I work in a publishing house in Brazil. I’m producing a chemistry book, and the authors would like to use this images.

I wonder if you can authorize the use of sea water desalinating bottle images in textbooks.

Fernanda