Repurposing the Reusable Grocery Bags

Even though my intentions are good, I’m guilty of being one of those people who takes the reusable grocery shopping bag only to never use it again! It usually ends up stuffed under sink or in a closet. This design aims to ensure the bag is reused in an entirely different way. It’s just rigid enough to carry your groceries home and then use it as a garbage bin. Stackable and available in a number of different colors, it’s an effortless way to reduce plastic consumption.

Designer: Stephen Reon Francisco

• Hangar says:

Old old concept… 6 years ago was similar bag bin concept presented on students works festival in Slovak Technical University in Zvolen…

• Kayla says:

So it’s a trash bin that you put grocery bags in…how does that minimize plastic consumption? It has no sides so you can’t use it stand-alone. You’re still using just as much plastic, plus a little more for the extra ‘specially shaped’ trash bin. When I forget my reusable bags, the grocery bags are used in the small trash bins in my bathroom and office. If you want to stop forgetting your reusable bags, hang them by the door or keep them in your car where you’ll see them.

• Matt says:

I think it is a great idea. The idea has been taken, but I don’t think it has been marketed particularly well. I stumbled across this exact thing in a catalog:

• Kevin says:

not a good concept, your just buying extra garbage cans for your home. Something more innovative should be coming, but the main issue is still the habit of consumers. In Taiwan and Japan, people now are used to bring their own bags, the grocery store charges 2 pennies for a bag, but money is not the main point, it’s the habit of wanting to be more eco friendly, it’s all about mentality~

• Maryline says:

Yes this has been done before

• A nice idea, but people still need to change their mindset about reusable grocery bags.

• Jimmy C says:

Huh. That’s smart, really! And the idea definitely works. I’m in!

• stephen reon francisco says:

that is correct…a manufacture approach me to redesign the bin cause the existing one actually tends to closes the plastic on its own and you can’t throw garbage easily.

my concepts fixed the problems of the existing bin “the link above” with the help of the slit and to lessen the material cost. also you can view the logo of the plastic grocery bags on the side…its a design solution

• Andrew says:

Where can I buy it ?
    Is there possibilyty ?
    Best regards from Poland.