Inkblot Inspired E-Ink Watch

The Rorschach inkblot test is famous for gauging one’s perception and imagination so designer Samuel Jerichow decided to use it tell time. The Rorschach watch has an e-ink display that generates inkblots to tell time. It’s a little difficult to read but once your eye is trained to recognize the patterns, it should become second nature. Hit the jump for the animations!

Designer: Samuel Jerichow

• Jarosล‚aw Ciupiล„ski says:

Brilliant! First it is a mess, but if you learn (in just few seconds) how does it work, it is just great. It is easy and looks fine.

• Hello Jarosล‚aw! This is exact the effect I hoped to cause: First confusion (am I crazy?) and then understanding. Thanks for commenting!

@ YankoDesign: Thanks for posting my concept here!

• AC says:

this is brilliant! i love it!

• thiago.kzao says:

Hey Sam that is amazing.. where can I buy one? I really like that…

xD

• Marv916 says:

i am in love. I will need one as soone as it is available for sale. Great work.

• @ AC: Thank you!
    @ Thiago: Thanks for your interest! If this gets made, I’ll tell. Let’s cross fingers.
    @ Marv: Also thanks to you!

Here is a higher resolution version of the times overview image:

๐Ÿ™‚

• Ray F says:

Awesome! What software did you use to create the renderings?

• Biff says:

Who the hell wants to stare at a watch for 10 minutes to figure out the time.

FAIL.

• @ Ray: Thanks Ray! I’m using Blender with the inbuilt renderer and GIMP (2D graphic software) to finish the images.

@ Biff: You need to be a little crazy for this watch. It is for people who like arts and like to use their imagination. It is confusing (mostly for the others) but actually very easy, if you know the rules.

• Peter says:

This is a brilliant looking piece and an amazing concept. Sign me up for notification if it gets made, I’ll buy one for sure.

That goes for Sam’s other watch designs as well, love his work ๐Ÿ™‚

• igorchak says:

E-Ink can not be backlit…

• @ Pete: Thank you very much Peter! I saw you found your way to my facebook page. That’s the best place to stay updeted ๐Ÿ™‚

@ igorchak: This comes from the near future and can ๐Ÿ˜‰ OLED is offen referred as “electronic paper” so that could be used. Or a wisely placed LED for the traditional e-paper. If that’s all too expensive, this watch can go without light too. Actually it would more feel like paper than a tech gadget then, which is good. Thanks for mentioning. So, how do you like the concept?

• replugged says:

Brilliant design!
    Instant WANT THAT!!!
    And Yes you are crazy (in the best way) ๐Ÿ˜€

• Lee C says:

I would like one if they get made. How much do you think they will retail at?

• Hello Lee, thanks for your interest! I can’t say much concrete about pricing cause I’m “just” a guy with energy to create concepts ๐Ÿ™‚ It could be made below 200$ I think. E-paper (without light) or OLED have to establish themselves properly in the market and maybe a case-and-stap-design instead of a contiuous band would help to keep the watch affordable. Hm Lee, what would you be willing to pay ?

• Antonio Tadeu says:

Man this is one of the coolest watches I’ve ever seen! When production begins kkk? That I’ll want to have so offered. Congratulations on the job!

• Lee C says:

Well I would think for a cool watch like that anything up to ยฃ180 – ยฃ200 would be about rite. Although I would like it to be more like ยฃ50 haha

• @ Antonio: Thank you for your enthusiastic comment!

@ Lee: Hehehe of course ๐Ÿ˜‰

• MDesigns says:

Unique inspiring concept. Outstanding presentation and renderings. Cool product. Looking forward to Mr. Jerichow’s further work.

• MDesigns says:

Obviously not you. It requires being fun to be around to put it mildly.

• @ MDesigns: Thanks for commenting! Very encouraging to mention my further work ๐Ÿ˜‰ I guess the second post was meant for Biff. You’re right.

• Diogo says:

thats just… no words, i want it now! unbelievable creative design! do you have facebook? i would like to know your work and news better!

• Thank you for your interest Diogo! Please click my blue name or here: http://www.facebook.com/futurewatches I am looking forward to welcome you there ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daniel says:

Hey just wondering how the hell you tell the difference between 09 and 07 and if the 09 has an extra line underneath how do u tell the difference between that and 08.

• Daniel, it’s just digital numbers touching themselves – they cannot be confused if you look closely. If you do this long enough, time reading will be easy.

9 has no vertical line on the lower left position as 8 has. Therefore the negative space in the lower half of 9 is double the size as in 8. This sounds way more complicated than it is but I hope this helps you.

• Daniel says:

I think it would be easier to understand if you gave an example of every number. because using a European 7 in a digital display is confusing

• Thanks for thinking this through. Yes I agree, a number overview might have been helpful, although the numbers seemed self explanatory. Changing the 7 is no problem, if it helps. But initial confusion is indeed intended. The learning process you just had, is more than a buddy or a guy in the streets, who asks you what’s the time, has and so he looks at you like a car when you can use you skills, seeing time in that inblot.

• Lee C says:

have check this every day since I saw it awaiting a post telling me i can buy it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Antonio Tadeu says:

Like Lee, i enter here all day to see if the order is open. Sam, open a project to make a small production.

• Thats nice of you people ๐Ÿ™‚

Antonio, what does this mean: “open a project to make a small production.” ?

I wish I knew more about how to push a concept into reality.

• Mick.T says:

Very clever

• Antonio Tadeu says:

Sam, i say to open a project in sites like kickstarter … and you will see that the people who support you will want to join the project. Sorry my english, i am brazilian !

• Regards from Germany to Brazil! I understand now and I started informing myself how this could work…

• Alex says:

I’d definitely be interested in purchasing this, for anywhere around $200. I hope it gets off the ground!

• That’s a clear statement, thank you!

• KE17 says:

this is simply amazing. i actually think the watch would be better off without any backlighting or anything, keeping it simple.

i can tell this is one of those concepts that ill track till the day it comes into existence.

i MUST have one D:

• Hello KE! Thank you for your comment!

I tend to agree about the backlight. The watch would appear less technical, and the paper feeling would be higher.

The biggest argument for light is the readability at night. But actually these days, there is light everywhere, even at night.

Oh yes, keep on tracking! Click my blue name for my facebook page. If anything new happens, this is the place where you see it first.

Best regards,
    Sam

• Filipe Ronzani says:

I want this, very good your others projects, there is a prediction of when it will be released?

• Hello Filipe! Thank you for your interest! I have no prediction yet. In real life, I’m not a designer for watches so I’m not familiar with the mechansims of how to push a design into reality. My watches are posted in the Tokyoflash Design Blog but I haven’t got any news yet, about if one of my watch gets made. Enjoy my page, it’s the best place for news!

Best regards,
    Sam

• Filipe Ronzani says:

• NeedNeed says:

when will your watches be released?

• Hello NeedNeed, thank you for showing your interest in my concept design. I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I can’t tell yet. The interest seems pretty good so I hope sooner or later the right company comes along.

Best regards,
    Sam

• Jimmy C says:

This is actually something I wouldn’t want to wear. It’s extremely complicated, and the animation suggests that you only have a few seconds to look.

• Hi Jimmy, thanks for commenting!

It’s not that extreme, if one has an affinity to artistic way of time telling. As for the animation duration, is an example, and not a final verdict. It’s still a concept and suggestions are welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

• 2ndMonkey says:

Sorry for my english cuz I’m a french guy. I need absolutely this watch, I’m interesting in psycho, and I work on Rorschach tests, so this watch must be mine. Do you have anithing, a facebook or a twitter, to know if this project will become true ?

• Hi Monkey! Thanks for showing your interest in my concept! Click my blue name for my facebook appearance. Whenever I have news, there will be the best place to get them.

ps.: as a german I can say, your english is just fine for me ๐Ÿ™‚

• Aurell says:

i love them! i hope there gonna be a way to buy them in the future!!!

• Thanks for the comment Aurell :3

• Hi everybody! I made another approach to the Rorschach idea. You can see it here:

Tokyoflash announced in a special blog entry that they are working to make it become real!! If it happens, I will tell on my page (click my name). Tokyoflash will tell too of course ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks folks for the comments and thanks Yanko for the publicity!

• Hi everybody, check this out:
    I hope you like the images and maybe some of you will enjoy the watch as much as I do. Woohoo!!