We Want Your Empathy

For their sponsored project held by RIM Blackberry at the Art Center College of Design, designers Kiki and Daniel had to incorporate an interface that integrates human emotions with the concept of social networking. The result of this exercise was the Empathy concept. The phone is used in conjunction with a biometrics ring that is worn by the user to collect “emotional data”. Spec-wise it features a transparent OLED screen that becomes transparent when not in use and opaque during interaction. The front is all touch surface, while on the back there is a physical keyboard.

As Daniel describes the interface:

It is of course touch based and all the user’s connections are shown graphically so you can see who is connected to whom. Each contact has an avatar that is encompassed by two colored rings. The inner colored ring shows the contact’s previous emotional state, and the outer ring represents the contact’s current emotional state. It is important to show the shift in emotions in order to see how an event has affected that contact.

Another important feature that we felt was important was the “Emotional Health Chart”. This chart would monitor the user’s emotional health through an indefinite period of time. One would be able to see how a certain event, or phone call/ message has affected the user. Obviously, if the chart shows someone is always upset, there would be a problem… If permitted, a user would be able to view other user’s charts as well.

Designers: Kiki Tang & Daniel Yoon

You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video

• Raymond says:

How could this be possible whereby phone will not function without ring,,,,what if the ring found lost.

• isabella says:

this is the best idee ever nice hope our normal working people can buy this phone youre guys rock keep it up i sleep BlackBerry eat loo work my phone is 24/7 with me I LOVE BLACKBERRY mine is the 9800 T and Ijust love bb Thanks for the good job

• Diamond,Ghana says:

It is a threat to the Info tech Age competition & must hv bn defer to the nxt Century.Hence,itz advent as such let the feeble stop bragg’n & get CCs n wallet alert to go shop 1. KUDOS RIM

• theo says:

very handsome…but when is it cameing out

• Ian Scarface says:

Does the phone work without the ring? If it doesn’t,then its bullshit. Asides dat,it rocks

• Akomolafe says:

is this phone not out yet. its taking too long than required. our expectations are getting worn out cos its over a year that i commented on this last yet, its is still not feasible. ACTION pliiiiiiiiis!

• iSABELA says:

Do U now how great a blackberry phone is Isleep eat loo Zoo bath shower do work email chat pray with my blackberry torch and its the nice phone ever and then I see the Empathy and nearly when over the roof when I saw its not out yet please blackberry its will change humanity if we can get empathy phone and this Gyus Designing i YANKO thanks i will love your phone u Rock please come on Sponsor this Yanko team they are in line with usthe Consumer we whant the EMPATHY and its blackberrrry great stuff even beter please help this Yanko team lot of heart and willingness is in this phone thanx Yanko and im 34years old and my Grandmom got a blackberry to stay intouch

• raymond says:

I love this emparty then,,, the blackberry Emparty is a very good ideal then,,,,how much we this Empary cost me to get one from Yanko design,,please I want reply for this comment

• sf says:

wow, it looks like a rock from out of space. jsut another project and more power to the kids. This American Samoa fans

• Maryam Imdad says:

is it really coming out? if yes then when ??
    or its just a concept ??

• ifah says:

where can I get this blackberry empathy?

• C says:

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

• Terry Blay says:

MARIA THEN YOU NEED TO WAIT AND GET HIM THIS AND MY SON IS JUST 13 YEARS OLD AND HE ALSO LIKE IT SO I WILL JUST GET HIM ONE AFTER MY TRIP AND HOPE WE CAN BE FRIENDS TOO ?…. MY Email is blay_terry@yahoo.com
    contact me please

• Terry Blay says:

ifah contact me on yahoo i will show You a store

• Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in
    it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a
    little bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog.
    A fantastic read. I will certainly be back.

• austin says:

realy grt functions bt is it nigeria nd wts d worth

• Benjamin says:

When is it out?

• Tonya says:

Aw, this was a really nice post. Finding the time and actual
    effort to create a great article… but what can I say… I hesitate a whole lot
    and don’t seem to get nearly anything done.

• Mike Hunt says:

This looks so shit, I hate it and I want to blow it up I hope the designer dies because its such a bad design and will never happen. If I do see people using this in 5 – 6 years time, I will take it from them and club their entire family to death with it. From the look of it that’s all its good for.

• No its not Nigeria, its a phone.

• iWant to iRape you

• daniel djan says:

Bb concept

• Me2 says:

Such a scumbag. Go back to Hitler. There were other ways to respond, you chose the scummiest. I’m just returning the favour:)

• Landen Oswalt says:

Creative, the idea is splendid. The only,downside I could potentially see is the human emotional aspect, with reactions and complications it would publish emotions, that some may not want to; contry to public beliefs we would still want the phone because the idea sounds amazing and humans always and what’s next. Otherwise fantastic job. You are trying to create a product to help and that’s important. Keep it up good products come few and far between in my opinion. Just stay optimistic no matter the bad comments. “Strength is not,found in those who achieve but overcome!” -Landen Oswalt

• Oscar VILCHEZ says:

Muy bonitos y novedosos productos como los puedo adquirir

• Badsha Meah Moharaz says:

What a nice & gorgeous style of this phone, I am surprised ……….

• Badsha Meah Moharaz says:

what a nice & gorgeous style of this device, i really surprised

• PRAVEEN CHOLA says:

yeah future mobile for us but why still testing ???? when it will release ???? UI is great so please release soon it will be hit the market with a bang.

• Tomas Bahama says:

Great design. The design is still cutting edge today (December 2015). You may want to consider licensing the design as a silicone case for the various rectangular phones out there today. Or approach Blackberry, this would cut through the competition out there.

• Olomo Shola says:

Great design…buh I feel d fault wt it us d physical keyboard at d rear…doesn’t make sense….how about if u keep it completely as all touch…nd as for emotion….its nt so good…nice design anyway..d shape nd d charging concept…