Floating on Clean Air

In an effort to bring the environmental movement above the clouds, Thomas Tzortzi’s designed an airship for the world. Tzortzi concentrated on the culture of tourism prevalent throughout the entire world, airplanes rocking and rolling above the stratus, creating what’s undoubtedly an unnecessary pollution. This airship also aims to lie on the design line between art and science, working it hard in both form and function.

“How can Design; Inform, Inspire, Provoke, social and environmental solutions?”

That’s Tzortzi’s question here, and this airship’s his major stab at a solution. Of course there is no one answer, and there is no perfect solution, but look here, this airship’s a severely magical amalgamation. It’s like a fantastic whale creature looking to carry you across the clouds.

This airship seats 8. Eight exclusive, luxury seeking, super rich folks. Tzortzi notes: “This may seem out of context with a project that features high social and environmental consideration, but it is Designed to create aspiration for Airships to be brought back practically.” The airship travels at a slow speed, providing time for passengers to enjoy their trip and see the sights they’d otherwise not have time to take in from on high. Solar power panels spread across the top of the ship, the ship full of helium, no harm is done in this transport in the least. There’s a viewing capsule in the gondola, a sundeck across the top of the ship, and a viewing room in the nose of the structure.

Built by local engineers, constructed with local materials.

Designer: Thomas Tzortzi

• manny says:

Great idea…but remembering the disaster from the past,,,maybe the module for the crew and passenger can detach
    in case the main body get into a problem,,,and safely fly or glide down to land or water,,,just a thought,,, the main
    body can also be controlled remotely to dive into a safe place or back home or anchored some place ,,,,Safety ,Safety,Safety…

• Confucius says:

Really nice aesthetic, airships have always been very cumbersome looking. This one is well executed. Air balloons in general are pretty safe, and a fantastic method of travel and transport. Recommend making the next iteration a “freighter”.

• Confucius says:

• mif991 says:

I really like this version of the blimp. It has a modern streak of steampunk and I would love to see it fly. I also saw some other blimps that James Bond allured to and I think you have a nice and different take.

• James Bond says:

Hi folks,
    I don't think it will be too many years before we see a solar powered blimp flying tourísts, but I rather think it will be based on a design that is going to be from a real airship company. A solar powered blimp needs to be fairly flat in comparison to normal blimps, so the obvious airship to select for such an application, would be the Skycat from HAV.
    If you want to see more on modern airships, past, present and future or if you just want a helium sniffing laugh try airship the worlds only lighter than air comedy site, with lots of funny pictures and U tube links fit for all the family.
    Regards Bond, James Bond.

• James Bond says:

Hi folks,
    I don't think it will be too many years before we see a solar powered blimp flying toursts, but I rather think it will be based on a design that is going to be from a real airship company. A solar powered blimp needs to be fairly flat in comparison to normal blimps, so the obvious airship to select for such an application, would be the Skycat from HAV.
    Regards Bond, James Bond.

• Thomas Tzortzis design is beautiful. Both the physical model and renderings However,I don't mean to burst anyone's balloon :, but helium is not mined in a very environmental way. At the scale shown, Im a little skeptical that helium will lift this ship, but pressurized hydrogen would. Modern airships and blimps are manufactured from modern materials, and use modern engineering that can make hydrogen possible for use as a lifting gas. It is a scientific fact that there is finite amount of helium on this planet. Helium as an intro to get this industry off the ground yes, but not for a sustainable cradle-to-cradle industry. Hydrogen gas can be safe for use even in a war zones, don't believe me ask Boeing's Phantom Works. Getting close to an airship like a modern version of the USS Macon would be like trying to get close to a modern aircraft carrier, not going to happen. Mr. Bond makes a good point about the HAV design Skycat, while not the prettiest design it has legs and is getting funded (Yeah!). HAV is also in a unique position to make or break an industry, if the Skycat is failure it will set back advancement of ridged airship design another 30 years.

• RCorrell says:

One of the pictures looks straight out of Flight of the Navigator.

• fish fingers says:

James don't you know what happened in the 30s? Modern engineering ain't going to make it a safe gas.

• geniusfairy says:

That gas is not used anymore. Now hydrogen is used which is completely safe. You cannot ignite it even if you want.

• geniusfairy says:

• free says:

No, you are wrong, helium is used today instead of hydrogen. Hydrogen was used in 30s. Hydrogen flammable, helium not.

• Cody says:

Uhh. Is it just me or was Leonardo da Vinci drawing these same things? I still think it looks cool, but I don’t think it will be to Eco friendly. Very steampunk (me likey)

• Cody says:

• Dave says:

It's just so beautiful! I utterly adore airships, and this is probably the most elegant design I've ever seen. Give me one of these over an airplane any day of the week. Gorgeous.

• Dave says:

• Price for oil goes up! America is on the down-side of Hubbards curve! Soon, jet air flight will be out of the average American's reach. Watch for Thorium nuclear/electric bullet trains, Helium dirigibles, electric street cars, trams, electric rail lines, super-insulation, until now suppressed by the Capitalist, Corporatist, interests, to come into its day, zero maintainance, zero upkeep, Solar oriented, Solar powered homes to come to fruition, (California legislated these already!) in spite of big business opposition, perhaps in this lifetime we will all enjoy a ride in a helium air-ship, for the sake of economy and for convenience. We will disperse for our short-hop land transport to our homes in rechargeable battery cars, and Wind Turbines, ballasted by our car batteries, will dot the horizons. This Utopian notion will occur over the dead bodies of the Oil Barons who now hold us enslaved to gasoline, the benzine molecule rich carcinogenic that is killing us all with cancers! Got breasts in your family? Got Cancers? Blame benzine molecule found in gasoline! Blame the Oil Barons!

• mjk says:

Looks strong and beautiful.

• mjk says:

Looks strong and beautiful.

• I was recommended this blog through my cousin. I’m now not sure whether this post is written by him as no
    one else know such targeted approximately my difficulty.
    You’re wonderful! Thank you!