Futura Concept

I have always liked vehicles that look more animal than car- which is why I love this wild concept called the Futura 10. The Futura models itself after the Boxfish, a cute and cuddly sea creature (if you can imagine a cuddly gill-bearing scaled vertebrate) that somehow looks more alien than fish. Don’t let those soft lines fool you though, the Futura’s body, like the Boxfish, has great structural strength and proven aerodynamics.

Designer: Nathaniel Lucero

• FLX says:

Oh gawd. Luckily it has massive blind spots, so you dont see people pointing and laughing at you when you drive it.

Sriously YD, do you even have some sort of quality control?!

• Elios says:

It is easy to bash ideas my friend. It takes skill to make something better with criticism. I personally love the fresh look at form. Great job Nathaniel.

• FLX says:

Sriously YD, do you even have some sort of quality control?!

• Elios says:

• tonicvision says:

I want to ride in one TODAY.

• tonicvision says:

I want to ride in one TODAY.

• I concur with Elios, it's a great design. I'm your biggest critic, but I think it's 22nd century thinking, awesome. How many does it seat?

• Tune Koshy says:

Great form study and surface breaks. I can see this being a lightweight urban touring vehicle (golf cart replacement) for the near future, wouldn't race it tho. 🙂 great work Mr. Lucero!

• Tune Koshy says:

• dude says:

As Tune said, its a good form study and specialy from sideview. I would like you to work some more on the front, it looks unfinished, and made in a hurry. The rear end should be more sharp, and not descending that much, a little geometry would help 🙂 Actually, it looks a bit plastic´ish, you should sharpen the whole thing. But keep your idea.. Sorry for critisism..

• Nathaniel says:

Hey Dude thanks for the words of advice.. good pointed suggestions are what make designers better. To answer a few of your questions, I have actually worked on various iterations of this form based on the dimensions/aerodynamics of a box fish, and trying to stay real to that I chose not to give it a more "modeled" front end. As for the back end there could always be discussion of how it should end, and after a note book full of sketches, folder full of models and a few physical models this tail end spoke more to the air drag co-efficent better than others. If you notice it goes relatively low so as to take the hard drag off of the back tire and streamline it, thus adding to the overall reason for this vehicle. I agree that it's not perfect, but then again, there is no design on earth that will ever be perfect.. well, not including nature. Cheers!

• dude says:

As Tune said, its a good form study and specialy from sideview. I would like you to work some more on the front, it looks unfinished, and made in a hurry. The rear end should be more sharp, and not descending that much, a little geometry would help 🙂 Actually, it looks a bit plasticish, you should sharpen the whole thing. But keep your idea.. Sorry for critisism..

• Nathaniel says:

Hey Dude thanks for the words of advice.. good pointed suggestions are what make designers better. To answer a few of your questions, I have actually worked on various iterations of this form based on the dimensions/aerodynamics of a box fish, and trying to stay real to that I chose not to give it a more “modeled” front end. As for the back end there could always be discussion of how it should end, and after a note book full of sketches, folder full of models and a few physical models this tail end spoke more to the air drag co-efficent better than others. If you notice it goes relatively low so as to take the hard drag off of the back tire and streamline it, thus adding to the overall reason for this vehicle. I agree that it's not perfect, but then again, there is no design on earth that will ever be perfect.. well, not including nature. Cheers!

• mjk says:

Nice 3d well done to me it looks slow “small wheel plus big wheel = tractor” or maybe that me. Also how wide is back wheel cos if its too wide you will feel every bump.

• mjk says: