Jello Cup, For Real

On June 26th, the Gowanus Studio Space hosted the 2nd annual Jell-O Mold competition in Brooklyn, New York. The competition encouraged artists, designers, chefs, and lovers of Jell–O to use gelatin in new and unexpected ways. A company called The Way We See The World won for sculptural/structural integrity with Jelloware – a set of delicious, squishy, colorful glasses.

Jelloware re-imagines the concept of drinking, and imparts a new experience in the way it feels, tastes, smells, moves, and is even disposed of. The cups are made entirely out of agar agar and cast in different flavors, such as lemon-basil, ginger-mint, or rosemary-beet. All are specifically designed to compliment a corresponding drink. Jelloware is meant to be thrown into the grass after it is used, as agar agar is a seaweed extract and actually nurtures the growth of plants.

Designer: The Way We See The World

• mif991 says:

The model’s mustache dominates the image… As for the product, I would try it once; success depends on how good it tastes…

• Jon says:

What a bitchy thing to say. Holy cow. Lighten up. The glasses are a great idea. Maybe they won’t be as great as they look, and maybe they won’t bring about world peace, but give these guys credit — without being snarky — for coming up with a really cool idea.

• lee says:

these cups are amazing looking!… and, wow, why would you ever say something like that? you must be pretty living a pretty miserable life.

• Charmaine says:

I tried this with 93 little girl guide brownies and it was a hit all around!

• Al says:

What a pessimist–get over yourself! The idea is wonderful….environmentally friendly, I’d try it out!

• Marco says:

WOW mustache (mindf*)
    seriously…
    good idea, though (the glass part)

• Fer says:

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Cloud Levi says:

AWESOME! Although beets don’t sound very good for drinks. >_>;;;

• Seamus Dubh says:

Interesting proof of concept.
    I have a few questions of resiliency.
    How long do they last?
    How stable are they on different surfaces?
    What types of drinks can go in it, hot, cold, acidic, carbonated?

• Yuuta says:

Entirely out of agar agar? Like, almost 100% pure agar agar with perhaps colouring and no other additive/stabilizer/whatever?

Then the cup would be rather slimey. And given my experience with cooking with agar agar, it’s should not be as flexible as in the pictures.

If it’s agar agar, why not make the cup edible instead of throwing it on the grass? (seaweed is good for you) Agar agar does not simply melt and break down without significant heat or other processing. It’s more likely to be eaten by curious animals if left lying on the grass.

And it would be nice if they weren’t made for specific drinks.

• Rus925 says:

If they can’t stand up to beer pong, they’re of no use to me.

• Rus925 says:

If they can’t stand up to beer pong, they’re of no use to me.

• Gloria says:

Please, tell us how to make these. I teach vegan cooking classes to kids in Inner city in Los Angeles, and this would be great!

• Gloria says:

• Janine says:

I think this is an awesome idea!! I want to purchase some NOW! =0)

• Janine says:

I think this is an awesome idea!! I want to purchase some NOW! =0)

• @TWWSTW says:

Help make Jelloware a reality by supporting our Kickstarter project : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thewayweseet

• @TWWSTW says:

• Dingle says:

“I teach vegan cooking classes to kids in Inner city..” Your life sounds like an extremely bad movie.

• Anna says:

Wow. You must have no life.

• Theremin Nipplecat says:

And I just threw up in my mouth a little.

• Jessica says:

children should not be vegans. that is the worst idea ever! their bodies r young and growing. they need all the protein they can get. if u want them to b healthy, teach them to eat fish, chicken, deer, etc. they will get sick frm not having proteins

• really? says:

Jessica, You can get plant based protien. You’re propetuating a lie you’ve been taught by companies. Children can most certainly be vegans and be healthy actually much healthier without meat, which isn’t good for them in the least.. they won’t get sick.

• really says:

didn’t mean to send it that many times, apparently that error message was a lie.

• Ismael says:

Incredible!! Thanks for sahring.

• AK says:

What child you know would actually tolerate a “vegan lifestyle”? Children cannot comprehend the impacts and benefits of a vegan lifestyle… That sounds cruel. I know if I were a five year old who wasn’t allowed to eat chicken nuggets, I would feel pretty deprived (mind of a child here, folks).

As for the cups, I’d love to see them in person!

• Jello-ware looks like fun. Been seeing a couple of other ways taught in Craft Classes, that make some other beautiful & intricate edible designs.

• Leigh-Ann says:

My son is 5.5 and vegan. He has never had a chicken nugget in his life, and he has never ever ever asked for one. Why would he want to eat something he has never had, and that he knows is made from an animal which he likes? (alive!). His favorite food in the world is kale! He is super healthy, he has only ever had 1 cold in his life lasting less than 24 hours and has never been sick otherwise (unlike his meat eating friends who are sick every other month). He is super smart, strong, healthy, happy and he eats his veggies without complaint!

And he CAN comprehend the impact/benefit of a vegan lifestyle, kids are not stupid. Kids naturally like animals, and he understands perfectly that meat/milk/eggs come from animals. He is horrified by the thought of eating an animal friend.

• Yell4340 says:

Oh, PLEASE! I am NOT a vegan and I love chicken and steak and things but I don’t really like chicken nuggets…. Long story short, I am almost never sick. I probably only get sick around twice a year. Not every other month.

• Paola says:

That rich, have entered me looking forward to taking some.

• You could certainly see your enthusiasm in the work you write.

The world hopes for even more passionate writers like you
    who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. At all times follow your heart.

• Mario says:

Dear Yanko,
    thank you so much for sharing with us there useful information. I’m so happy to know this and I think it will be very useful for us.

Have a nice day,