80s Inspired Cruiser (1880s that is…)

Break out those handlebar mustaches ladies and gents, it’s time for some old-school, two wheeled fun. Sit back and relax as the ONEYBIKE by Peter Varga takes you on a journey that harkens a simpler time when public streets smelled like horse manure and so did the men. Inspired by the classic High Wheeler bikes of the 1880s, as well as the recumbent bikes we saw those “granola types” riding in the 1990s. This design features a folding mechanism for easy storage and recently participated in the 14th International Bicycle Design Competition in Taiwan. I am happy to report this design does NOT feature USB, WiFi or any sort of iPhone integration.

Designer: Peter Varga

• thierry says:

I wonder how anybody can get in the seat, legs in between the steer and not fall before even take off.
    And it he or she is acrobatic enough does succeed in this, then I really want to see how to stop and halt at trafiic lights without tipping over. The muscles in the lower leg simply cannot balance your weight in teh lounge seating position.

It is beautiful though, but I think it will only work in an animation movie.

• BB30 says:

thierry – what on earth is this gibberish about the lower leg? Highly reclined recumbent bikes have been sold for 20 years, and when on one it’s trivial to lean on a leg when stopped. Go try one.

• zakkmiester says:

It looks to me like it’d be fairly impossible to reach over the handle bars though. Unless you don’t actually plan on moving your thigh.

• Savox says:

Did any of you notice the handle in the middle? I would guess that is for getting yourself out of the seat so your legs can reach the ground.

• Wow cool design mate!

• mif991 says:

Outstanding design and beautiful sculpting. Looks expensive and it should be.

• Mike says:

Good design but I can’t picture an adult riding this. Maybe a little kid but like thierry said, having your legs between the steering wheel will make you tip over due to the balance. Overall, simple design but needs a bit more work.

• Jople says:

Hmm , “granola types from the 1990’s”? Thanks for insulting the entire recumbent community.

• Jim Baltaxe says:

Is there any chance of this bike being available for purchase? I’d buy one in a minute if it works the way I think it does. I have a “bent” (recumbent) bike now and this is eminently practical.

It looks to be rear steering (hinge at the base of the handlebars) and in hub gearing.

Beautiful!

• oscar says:

nice design, but theres no way you ride that bike without suffer several bone fractures

• I wonder about lateral stability, given how far backward the rider’s weight is carried and how tiny that back wheel is.

• StridaD says:

It would be perfect if the rear wheel could somehow be folded against the side of the front wheel rather than just snug up behind it.

• StridaD says:

• faf says:

Aside from being a beautiful sculpture, I do have a hard time understanding how the bike would be ridden. Aside from the comments about getting in and out and pedaling, there is also a steering issue. The under seat steering is connected to the front wheel which one also pedals. How do you steer and pedal the same wheel at the same time?

• faf says:

• Bob says:

Beautiful, and I bet it will work well, I want one.
    Check out the yike bike to see a similar design for an electric bike.

• Cherries Jubilee says:

Of course there is. This is a slightly reworked design that was used for ladies recumbent bicycles in the 1880’s and is even closer in design to military folding bikes of the late Victorian era.

I would certainly like to test ride one, just to see how it compares to other recumbant bikes I have riden.

• faf says:

The design looks integrated and like the thinking about it’s foldability. The under seat steering would give the bike a relaxed riding position.
    That being said, as a recumbent rider, the biggest point is that you don’t want to pedal on the wheel that is steering. This would make the bike very unstable and a nerveracking experience at best.

• Capt. Kev says:

How do I get one? It’s beautiful. Good looking folding bikes are hard to find!

• Dartfrog says:

Gidday,
    That actually is a point.

• Roy Choromanski says:

1. Do you have an agent in South Africa ?
    2. Do you have a price list ?

• Haha that looks so cool!

• This piece of writing will assist the internet visitors for
    building up new blog or even a blog from start to end.