Meet My New Laptop Friends

Allow me to introduce to you Monami, French for ‘my friend’; but here a project by the versatile Andrew Seunghyun Kim. The Monami set consists of Lacie’s pet: an external hard drive, an intuitive mouse and a mighty USB Stick…all packed into this desk-friendly device. The beauty about this project is that it’s quite do-able and simple. Jump ahead for the details.

Hard On Memory

The 2TB External Hard Disk Drive is neatly packaged under a leather hood. This is probably to add a bit of masculinity to the prop, but that’s my opinion entirely. A quick glance assures you of 4 USB Ports (1 easy access on the top + 3 on the side) and a 3” widerange speaker that enhances the laptop’s audio.

Mousing Around

The mouse boasts of a mirror finish but has some interesting features. For example if you miss the pinch and scroll action ala iPhone; you get to do the same here! Flip the mouse around, and the acceleration sensor kicks into play, turning the mouse into a remote control.

USB Power

A 16GB Memory Stick is what the design proposes. Not bad, but I’m sure it can do better than looking like a knob or a stub!

Designer: Andrew Seunghyun Kim

Lacie Monami - A Desk-set For Laptop Users Consisting of External Hard Drive, Mouse & USB Stick by Andrew Seunghyun Kim

monami2

monami5

monami7

monami8

monami9

monami6

monami10

monami11

monami12

monami13

monami14

monami3

monami4

• mf says:

You put a magnet into a hard drive?
    Bye bye data… :/

• Cesare says:

Curious to try out the mouse …

• Carsten says:

Didn’t they learn anything from Apples terrible puck mouse?
    There’s a reason such devices aren’t circular.

• REALTE says:

“You put a magnet into a hard drive?
    Bye bye data… ”

Hard Disk Drives use magnetic force to read and write data on the metal platters. Two small magnetic plates are inside the HDD enclosure. The enclosure is sealed. The magnet power outside doesn’t affect the data inside the enclosure.

Moreover, the leather magnet is only powerful to attract paper clips.

Also, in speaker technology, magnet is used inside.

-Computer Technician

• Quantum says:

“The enclosure is sealed. The magnet power outside doesn’t affect the data inside the enclosure. ”

Well that depends how powerfull the magnet is, although I doubt a paper clip magnet would be strong enough to cause any damage, I still don’t think it is the best idea.

• REALTE says:

I worked with Quantum(late Digital), Seagate, Maxtor for more than 10 years. And I am a certified computer technician. It’s sealed really well. Don’t woory about it, please.

• steve says:

i would prefere a coffe cup heater in the space used by the paper clip holder. Its a nice design but i think theres are more importants issues at office were this design could help than using so many space on a paper clip holders.

The design ….10 points…

• JRameau says:

I can’t believe they throw a quote from the master of over simplification (Dieter Rams) when this cantilevering “box” can’t figure out what one thing it does right.

• ehh says:

does the mouse have its own little stash spot in this unit or does it just sit out by itself?

• ehh says:

• Maria Smith says:

this is very first time I have seen this type of laptop.well featured ,hardware accessories,well designed and compact .
    thanks for new advance in laptop technologies.keep it up!!!!

• Maria Smith says:

thanks for new advance in laptop technologies.keep it up!!!!

• Excellent blog here! Also your web site loads up very fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink for your host? I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol.

• Cool thing of course, much of it stuck just horror. If you buy will be the most time playing with him. And do not use on the application.