This Floater’s for the Eye

Sometimes you’re looking around and you get a speck of something in your eyeball sight line. It goes all over with your eye as you move your glazzies about! This is sort of like that, only it’s a cellphone. Designer Mac Funamizu totaled the amount of time he’s got his cellphone sitting on his desk for all to see to be 80% of his day. Lots of time for aesthetic beauty and interactive loveliness. This phone aims to please.

Focusing on the time the phone isn’t living in a pocket or helping a head communicate only adds up to 20% of Funamizu’s day. Other than that, it’s desk time. This phone is named “Floater” after the surfing maneuver. Don’t be dunking it in water anytime soon though, not H2O safe!

Floater A sits still on the table unless there’s a call, at which time it nods or rotates.

Floater B doesn’t move in the same way as A, instead having a supporter on the back to make the oval body stand nicely on a flat surface. Sliding the supporter the other way reveals a physical keyboard.

Designer: Mac Funamizu

Mobile Phone Concepts “Floater” from Mac Funamizu on Vimeo.

floater01

Floater cell phone by Mac Funamizu

floater03

floater04

• Bloof, even better says:

Reminds me of the “futuristic” egg chairs in Men in Black (and other movies with props borrowed from the 60’s.)

• OCEntertainment says:

I told them that in the future we’d all be making phone calls on chicken eggs and they all laughed at me.

Who’s laughing now?

• sneakypoo says:

Now there’s a concept I hope stays a concept. Terrible, just terrible.

• TonyP says:

interesting shape and I like the idea of it moving around when it rings.

Only concern is the sharpness of the edges (where the flat surface meets the curved), this would feel awful and cheap.

• jt says:

Where is aesthetic beauty? I don’t like it. Design improvements!? I can see it will be standing up only in those nice virtual environments and the keyboard is totally non ergonomic.
    By focusing in design requirements and good research (not just what “I like/use”) the result is granted to be successful. I can understand why it is only a concept.
    It should be just a cellphone not a transformer surfboard/soap sculpture. 🙂

• SkyWay says:

a whole new meaning for the sentence “don’t drop the soap”…