Aromas Of China

The Tea Drinking rituals of China are quite intriguing as it has a lot of hierarchy practices to it. For instance a Boss will never pour a cup of tea for his juniors and the youngsters pour tea for the elders in the family. Even apologies, thanksgiving and peace offerings are made via tea. The cha.t Chinese Tea Set is crossbreed of contemporary equipment with these conventional values in mind. On one hand the kettle, cups and intentions are traditional. The tray on the other, is infused with modernization by including a heating element to it.

Designer: Ning Ning Li

chat

chat2

cha.t Chinese Tea Set by Ning Ning Li

chat4

chat5

• Joe says:

Hi there – I should start by saying that i LOVE your site. I only came across it recently and is gradually working my way back from page 273 I think 🙂

THe question, a little bizarre I know – I was wondering what fonr you used on the ‘CHA.T” image on the main page.

Any halep will be MUCH appreciated!

Thanking you in advance
    Joe MC

• Radhika Seth says:

It’s the font used by the designer, I’ll see if I can get any feedback from there!

• landplan says:

According to the Chinese tea traditions I have learned in Singapore (unaffected by the cultural revolution in the PRC) Ning Ning’s concept doesn’t begin to cut it. The shapes and sizes are wrong. Even a heating element in the tray seems suspect because it would conflict with the purpose of pouring out the first brew, which is too strong, and emptying and rinsing unfinished cups before another round is poured. (The second and third rounds are the best.) The ceremony, like much Chinese eating, is rather messy and the tray is intended for that, more than for for serving. A serious traditionalist would consider warming to be kind of superfluous because the pot is intended to be emptied at each serving (of tiny cups) and rebrewed with fresh water and the same leaves for each new round, and the temp of the fresh water should be just below boiling for the optimum extraction of tea flavor; just warm would not do. Unless a lot has been left out of this presentation the design is unsuitable for the traditional practice, as I have learned it.

• chris f says:

its not that bad. people dont usually pour out the first steep (rinse) anymore unless its a puer. as long as there’s enough volume in the cups to fully empty the brewing pot than its relatively kosher. its a far cry from a real gong fu brewing experience but its a nice, simplified modern take.

• mif991 says:

I agree with Chris F. that the design is rather simple and minimalist. Besides, many a times traditionalists get in the way of designing new fresh products for younger generations. I don’t mind this at all.

• mandy says: