Air Guitar Move Over, I Got The Real Drums To Compete

Oh how I envied Phil Collins when he sat behind the drums, crooning so sensually while his hands never missed a beat with the sticks! You folks may be the guitar freaks, but there are many of us who totally dig the Air Drum thing. Feeding our fantasy is this UFO shaped Electronic Drums by Petr Kubík. Designed for personal use, this electronic device sits neatly between your legs, more like a bongo, and reproduces magical beats when your hands strike its surface.

With each strike, the surface produces lighted impressions of your hand to highlight the effect. I can picture myself sitting in a dim-lit room, thumping this, beat for beat to the songs that I like, and the magical display of lights corresponding to my mood. This is music heaven!

Designer: Petr Kubik

• Henrique Staino says:

It’s a fine idea!
    I just don’t get one thing:
    The device seems to be divided in halves. How does it sound? Really like bongos? Or like a two-piece drumset?

• Shane says:

I would assume that it functions much like the revolutionary Roland V-Drums Hand Sonic, which was/is the original electronic hand drum device.
    This concept looks nice, but i’d rather drum on a softer surface than what this appears to be

• Jason says:

I love how its “Rechargering”

• Jason says:

It would be really fun to play this.

• Keagan says:

Fun idea, creepy drummer man is pretty creepy though…

• Bep says:

creepy as hell… why do people thing rendering living things is a good idea?

• Seems funny, but really, if I wanted an UFO-shaped drum I would rather buy a Hang:

• Hang drums are beautiful and unique in their sound and would never be replaced by this. This seems to allow more of a “regular” drum sound with many varieties. Looks like it could be fun for the former bongo drummer who’s gone corporate.

• Shane says:

I don’t understand that Hang Drum. How is it any different/better than the steel drums that have been around for hundreds of years?

• Gerard says:

The hang differs because of its sound and the way its played, a freind of mine has one, it is a truely beautiful instrument, crafted to the highest degree, by hand. The hammering pattern is etched into the bronze, designed mathematically.

They are tuned to a pentatonic scale, with the root note in the centre, also in the bass register. The notes of the scale then alternate round the outside of the circle. The musicality of it cimes from striking the notes with the tip of yer finger, but you can play it with any part of your hand, or with mallets, or anything for matter.

It sounds like a harp to be honest, a really nice tonality. It can also have a rich metallic overtones when struck with conviction.

And if ye flip it over, you can play the resonating chamber and get a very tabla like tone.

A truly wonderful instrument.

But on the point of the UFO drum, its a beautiful concept, looks really nice. It would definately be interesting if it was partitioned similarly to the handsonic, and with ribbon controlling, again, like the handsonic. Does it actually exist or is it still in the concept stage?

• Elroy Jetson says:

when did phil collins ever ‘sensually croon’? bleating like a stuck pig is much more apt.

• cyberpiper says:

the hang drum is great, but one has to wait 5 years or more now to get one, and the price has gone up also! I would love one but there you go, already its price makes it anelite instrument. I see this more like a completly new intrument, inspired by the hang maybe, would be great thing to have. PROBLEM this has been posted one and a half years back! will it ever be made????? any prototypes around yet?

• cyberpiper says:

• HoboMaster says:

Not going to lie ive always wanted a hang drum …… but like cyberiper said there @%#$&@ expensive and takes forever to get one!
    i would buy this if it was actually more then a concept and i know others who would to (assuming its not ridiculously priced).
    i love the whole look of this concept design assuming it would sound the same it offers the audio pleasures of the hang drum and the visual pleasures of the touch surface!!! deff would make for a trippy music sesh

• HoboMaster says:

• I thank this very blog, which provides some important applications

• I think real drum is better than the hang drum. You just can’t beat the sensation.