A More Humane Audio Headset

So you’re sitting there in a restaurant. You’re sitting there, eating sandwiches with some other people. And you’ve got ah… one of those crappy headsets on. It looks like a spaceship. But then you realize your madness. You realize you look like… a douche. So you seek out help. And you find it. You find the solution. It’s basically a beautiful earring. “Ripple Headset” designed by Ilya Fridman. Ill. Totally ill.

This beautiful earring attaches to your eat with the rubber earring clasp on the back. It’s activated in two ways: talk or listen. Flip down the microphone for the “talk” function, aka just like that wild, terrible headset your were wearing at the restaurant. Then there’s the “listen” function which makes it basically a music playa.

Cute, yes?

Absolutely lovely and beautiful, yes?

Designer: Ilya Fridman

• wtyang24 says:

heh, it’ll probably jiggle when the bass is loud enough. *whump whump whump*

• Jeremiah says:

That’s a sweet idea. It would be nice if they could come in different designs or textures though. They remind me of a vinyl record, giving it this new school look with an old school vibe. I would toatally wear tem if they came with other designs though. The ripples are nice but seem a bit too feminine. And maybe even programable colours for the lights and i’d be sold on it. Great concept though. Really sweet look, I just think it has a bit more, if not a lot more potential. 🙂 Hope this helps 🙂

• Jon says:

You should check out the headsets at http://www.mavericklifestyle.com

Those guys seem like they had a similar design concept about trying to make you not look like a “douchey spaceship” (I hope you don’t mind the paraphrasing).

• Jeremiah says:

I took a look at your suggestion and I personally like this design better mainley for the indicating lights on the side and the fact that it looks for like a fashion accessory (ie. earings) and its a clip on so it gets rid of the thing going around your ear making it seem less bulky and lighter. I don’t think it looks “douchey” in any sense as long as you could make it compliment what you are wearing or your hairstyle, or whatever. But that’s just my opinion.

• Tommy says:

I took a look at the suggestion too and I think the best thing about that is that it actually exists. It’s more than just an exercise in design, it’s a working product.

This is an interesting concept though.

• Jon says:

Just for the record, I wasn’t saying that the current design looks “douchey.” I was echoing the original designer’s comment that the regular headsets I see at Best Buy make “you look like… a douche.”

…And that these guys apparently came to the same conclusion.

• Mark says:

I think this idea/design overall is awesome. I think the lights on the side are unneccesary, you can’t see then on your ears, and if they don’t light up you will save battery life. I like the idea that they are “hidden” as a headset is negated by the light.
    Minor complaint really, I do love this design, I could totally see it working in real life. Nice work Ilya.

• Jeremiah says:

I don’t think the lights would make much of a difference towards your battery life considering how small they are, and I think they are pretty useful for letting others know your current status. You know, if you’re taking a call or something, they won’t think you’re a crazy person talking to yourself, condiering they do look like a fashion accesory more so than a blue tooth head set device 😛 People are use to seeing the typicall blue tooth head set that look a bit long, so if they saw you talking to someone wirelessly, with funky earings, they’d probably think you are taking to yourself, unless the light indicated you were taking a call. I guess 😛

• DaveB says:

http://www.mavericklifestyle.com Named above may be a nice headset but the webpage has got to be the all time worst I’ve ever seen for showing a product. DO YOU SEE ONE AGAINST ANY ONE’S HEAD ?
    I don’t, and it’s apparently intentional. Pictures of hands, heads cut off, silouette, and the 2 pictures that include heads, I guess it’s worn on the other side of the head from the picture ? Geeeezzee, maybe it’s 3 inches in diameter 2 inches thick and has a swastika on one side.

• Jeremiah says:

LOL Way to find such a flaw, I’m surprised I didn’t notice that when I checked it out. HAHAHA 😛

• papen says:

I like the ‘hidden technology’ aspect. however, it may the person look even more stupid when speaking by herself, with no visible sign of any device / microphone / headset.
    Hands-free mobile communication is a thing where multiple social conventions play a role.

• Jeremiah says:

I totally agree, cause even with a light on the side that indicates whether or not you are in contact with someone throught the device, I’m pretty sure, like, 95% of the people wouldn’t know unless this became so maintream that everyone wore them. The day when designers can find a way to make this apparent to others, we who use these wireless devices just look like we’re talking to our self. But the lights on the side are a bit a start, I’m sure it isn’t the first idea outhtere to try and impliment it though. Maybe instead of relying on a specific colour there could be a flashing icon of some sort to make it more apparent that the wearer is talking to someone on it.

• question says:

where do i can buy this????

• Cerys says:

Where can I buy these?
    They’re just what I need to listen to music in school without getting caught! 🙂

• Cerys Kane says:

Where can I buy these? They’re just what I need to listen to music in school without getting caught! 🙂

• This is really interesting, You are a very
    skilled blogger. I have joined your feed aand look frward tto seeking more of your great post.
    Also, I have shared your web site in my social
    networks!

• Noella says:

Howdy outstanding website! Doees running a blog such as this require a large amount of work?

I have absolutely no expertise inn coding however I had been hoiping tto start my
    own blog in the neaar future. Anyhow, if you have any recommendations or
    techniques for new blog owners please share. I know this is off
    topic nevertheless I simply wanted tto ask. Appreciate it!