Decontaminated Thirst Quencher

I had a roommate who was a Coke fiend, no not the white powdery kind – the addictive pop kind. She needed to drink 2 cans a day. Watching her prepare her favorite drink was  an exercise in monotonous observation. She’d wipe the condensation off the can, then run the top under hot water to kill any festering bacteria. That technically doesn’t work but it gave her peace of mind. The Cole Cleaner was made for people like her.

The device uses UV radiation to disinfect any tin drink. It takes 1 to 5 minutes (not sure why the huge time gap) 1 to 5 seconds and when the purple LED lights up, you’re good to go.

Designer: Leon Peng

• quarktasche says:

there is a miraculous invention which makes this obsolete it is called bottle!

• Ana says:

Sometimes you just gotta have a can…its a whole different feel to a bottle. I could even say it tastes different in a can.

• Stu says:

It’s WAY better in a can, although I’ve never been worried about the bacterias on the can.

• Jimmy C says:

Don't be a smart aleck, dude. As long as you need to open it from the top, can or bottle, you'll have the same problem.
      In fact, they should make a modification for soda bottles.

• Jimmy C says:

In fact, they should make a modification for soda bottles.

• unknown user says:

I think you mean coke FIEND, not FEEN.

• Adam says:

“That technically doesn’t work but it gave her peace of mind. The Cole Cleaner was made for people like her.”

So… this idea also doesn’t work but gives a user peace of mind? As designers we need to steer the marketplace AWAY from frivolous products like this. Somehow we’ve managed to survive as a species without irradiated soda can tops. What’s different now?

• Lamah says:

The idea that doesn’t work that was referred to was running the can under the hot tap.

• Jimmy C says:

No, this idea works AND gives a user peace of mind. Why do people have to be so negative about things they don't THINK will work? It's only a concept, not a life choice or a war strategy. You seriously need to calm down.

• Gwenny says:

/me grabs the tail of my shirt and wipes the top of the can.

Problem solved. If you are picky, grab a napkin or a paper towel. Or better yet, just get a drink of water.

• Rossi says:

.. and it doesnt even crush the can when your done!! lol

• confucius says:

Can we get a statistic of how many people have fallen ill as a result of drinking from infected (unopened)coke cans…?

Now calculate the percentage of these incidences to poverty strucken areas/third world countries.

Now calculate how many of these people are lucky enough to afford a piece of high end designer kitchenware that does nothing but disenfect coke cans!!!

Answer : zero

Now reflect.

• Jimmy C says:

What I want is a statistic of the number of people who blow off good designs because they think they aren't worth anything when they haven't even actually tried them. And it better be a whole lot better than your completely unprofessional statistic that has to be impossible because no statistic can truly have zero as an answer to be usable at all.

• Jimmy C says:

• Eivind says:

This thing solves a problem that doesn’t need solving. Dumb.

• Eric says:

Wow pointless waste of time spent on the computer designing this, and a waste of my time to even type this for it, bye.

• mat says:

ive drank from many cans over my life time and yet havent died…

I think theres bigger issues in the world than creating a huge hunk of plastic that stops people getting the sniffles from a can. This aint gonna be a ‘one in every home’ kinda things me thinks….

• Rono says:

It’s looks great, but completely pointless.

• R says:

totally useless – but would sell like crack in the 80’s in Japan!

• Carl says:

i have never cleaned a can im my life.

• Annette says:

Great for people with a cleaning obsession.

Otherwise: Another dust collecting thing taking up space in your kitchen that you’ll never need.

• M.S.W. says:

Most “Coke Fiends” would get one of those UV wands so they could Zap cans no matter where they might be. 😉

• Jimmy C says:

If they're not going to use it, then they won't buy it. It's that simple.

• MadCow says:

OMG, I love this, where can i buy one?… o wait i already have something here… its called MAN UP!… JUST DRINK THAT SODA!

• Rob says:

Got to wonder… why?
    Save yourself the effort of cleaning every speck of dust off the can, or even UV nuking it with a machine… just open it, and pour it in a glass!!!
    Some solutions don’t need to be designed! 🙂

• Jimmy C says:

And yet they're designed anyway. Because this is a design website. Where people submit designs. And designs get posted. Because they're designs.
      If you have a better idea for this site, let us know, huh?

• Jimmy C says:

If you have a better idea for this site, let us know, huh?

• papy says:

your friend is a weirdo,why do you need to clean the top?

• Gwenny says:

You need to clean the top because between the vermin that run through the warehouses and the dirt that gets on the tops from stacking them together, the tops are fairly filthy. If you are fine with putting your mouth on something that could be covered with rat footprints and pee, then you are braver than me. I always at least wipe off the top and often just pour it into a cup.

Oh, and if you are one of those folks who wears clothes right off the rack without washing them when you buy them, message me and I’ll tell you what I saw in the two years I worked in a sewing factory.

• Gunnar says:

"could be covered in rat-footprints and pee"

Let me guess — you'd never dream of eating, say blueberries plucked directly from the bush in the forest. Who -knows- who peed in the general viscinity !

• Gunnar says:

“could be covered in rat-footprints and pee”

• Ricky says:

perfect!! This is demostrated so well..

• Ricky says:

perfect!! This is demostrated so well..

• Photographer says:

They’re designed anyway, but not really worth designing! How many paint pot opening tools do you see in the market? Good design takes into account the function and “need” for the end product… designing worthless products with no potential market is an incredible waste of time and effort!
    I agree with Rob… pour the drink in a glass and solve the “problem”!