Now LED Lights In Irons!

For ages the form factor of an iron hasn’t undergone much transformation. They only arena where you get something funky is in concepts. Here is my chance to once again slip into fantasyland and imagine that I’m using a hip-cat appliance while doing my mundane chores. Besides looking different there are only two places where this Steam Iron scores favor with me, one is the cool LED lighting that indicates the temperature in proportion with the hot red color. And the other is the soft silicone lining.

No, it’s not any revolutionary stuff, but some eye-candy in front of the damn rusty old piece I use.

Designer: Tatasuya Kobayashi

• Eric says:

Flat irons are about as skinny as the bottom thickness it seems, but then again they don’t need to incorporate steam vents. If it could function like a new one does today, then I’m in. I think it’s really cool looking.
    P.s. Thank you Tatasuya for remembering the cord. Too many times on here I never see one (most recently the gold leaf blender.)

• Reza says:

Nice concept. The only thing I noticed is that the handle is not comfortable. Maybe the top section should turn tinner, into a handle.

• I agree; that was the one thing I spotted. It made me think that, realistically, this wasn’t a device that could be used by someone for anything more than the odd shirt.

You could either narrow the handle or keep it the same with, curl it inwards and cover it with a more tactile material, like a rubber coating.

• M.S.W. says:

Perhaps the handle is thinner at it’s core and the surrounding angular white section is compressable silicon, and thus able to adapt to different grip types. Since closer viewing of the hand on the unit appears to infer compression since some of the fingers appear to go through the iron otherwise.

The control pod should probably be closer to the color changing slot. So that the settings are not accidently changed by the gripping hand.

• csven says:

Has the “designer” ever actually ironed any clothes?

• Carl says:

looks good, but hopelessly flawed by the lack of ergonomics in the handle grip. how much field research has the designer done, how many continual hours of ironing? or is it for looking good only? Whilst providing minimal comfort, i.e. the stiletto heal compared to a running show. i do like it though, first thing here this week!

• Eric says:

The handle doesn’t look that uncomfortable to me. I would like it if there were a thicker padding on the underside of it though, just a little “dome” of kushiness… I like the flat surface for pushing down evenly with my palm.

• Gizmodose says:

It look a great design, but like everyone else i am worried about comfort level while using this iron.

• ömer says:

and the control buttons are under the hand when it use , it can give some unwanted results on the cloths 🙂

• ömer says:

• csven says:

Not sure what happened to my earlier reply, but I can repost my observations.

Having designed some consumer irons and seeing a whole range of issues in this design, among the potential issues I see are:

– the squared off front making details in the garments more difficult to press.
    – the uncomfortable, non-ergonomic handle which will likely lower sales since it’s the first thing consumers check.
    – lack of a spray nozzle to assist in pressing difficult areas, which will almost certainly lower sales.
    – seriously questionable controls placements located where they can be accidentally activated.
    – the lack of a cradle in which to temporarily set the hot clothes iron when removing one clothing item and placing a new one on the ironing board.
    – the magical steam generation system which apparently requires effectively no internal volume for steam generation components.
    – the additional magical method in which “parts” are somehow molded and assembled.
    – no apparent strain relief on the cord.
    – the questionable materials (e.g. a water-clear, high-temperature resistant silicon?)

Would enjoy seeing an exploded view of this concept and some explanations regarding all of the above. Wonder if the designer reads these comments.

• guoliu says:

The design of a good idea, but do not feel the handle designed to be ideal, uncomfortable to use

• bakura says:

can anybody give me Dimensions of this iron?
    I need this information because I want this iron to be the case-study
    so please is anybody know Dimensions write it down
    THANKS

• sam says:

Where do you plan to fit all the components?

• eL sALVIDOR says:

worst iron ever, do some research before you do you final renders. not one thing fulfills the basic design requirements for an iron or ironing. Although it would be good as a projectile

• Ralph Zoontjens says:

Nice work though on the styling exercise. Next time incorporate usability into the form design process!

• Ralph Zoontjens says:

• LED Lights says:

I would not suggest they add steam to this either though because it was sort of the point to make it transparent. If we added a steam feature, there goes clarity for sure. I think irons are fine the way they are…

• I am genuinhely thanmkful to the owner of this website who has
    shared this wonderful paragraph at at this time.

• I am actually glazd to read this blog posts which includes tons of
    helpful data, thanks for providing these data.

• Giselle says:

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks
    you actually recognize what you’re speaking
    approximately! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site
    =). We can have a hyperlink alternate arrangement between us