A Knobby Light

Designer Jeong-Sun Park is a deep man heavily interested in the butterfly effect – the idea that variations systematic outcomes can dictate behavior. His Knob Light is a door knob with an internal generator that stores energy and illuminates the way in emergencies or whenever you need a guide to the loo. How it relates to the butterfly effect theory is esoteric but simply by expanding the knob’s function to include illumination, you effectively change the way you use the knob.

Designer: Jeong-Sun Park

• Jack says:

i really like this idea. so simple yet so intelligent. Are you Korean? I’m actually in South Korea atm.

• zippyflounder says:

“generator” a battery perhaps but the amount of energy used in turning a door nob is very small. I guess it coule be done, then there is the sensor for emergencies, would have to be a rf link to a smoke detector or something like that.

• MaxWilder says:

Putting a light-emitting device in a doorknob would be great, but it certainly can’t be a traditional bulb! They’re too delicate! And they’re not a good shape. Perhaps a metal knob with portions cut away for translucent plastic, or a heavy plastic knob would work. But I look at those pictures and imagine burning my hand just before it shatters and cuts me. Ugh.

• Henrique Staino says:

• Henrique Staino says:

The problem with the shape is that you can’t have a nice grip, usually.. Try to use it with wet or sweaty hands… No way! Escellent idea, though!

• gary says:

This guy may wrestle with the butterfly effect but he doesn’t know squat about the Americans With Disabilities law….or common sense.

The first time it was bumped hard by anything it would shatter, thereby 1. not work and 2. cut the *ell out of your hand. And anyone with a disability would have a very hard time using it because of its shape. That’s why lever handles are mandated in commercial door hardware and more and more residential hardware is heading in that direction.

• Ko says:

it’s obviously not any conventional light bulb… and there’s a picture of someone holding it, it’s not going to burn your hand either. There are plenty of other sustainable materials out there that are much stronger than a regular lightbulb and can emit a decent amount of light. This thing obviously isn’t meant to light up the whole room for you.

• Janedoe says:

. . .Ever thought its not targetted towards people with disability?

• Katya says:

The ADA specifications are not required in a private home, unless it is used as a rental.

• Jamie Sward says:

Hmmm…very interesting concept. Is that an LED?

• kiran says:

This is a perfect example of bad design.

People have been raised to associate an incandescent bulb with extreme heat. We’re taught from childhood not to touch the bulbs or we’ll burn ourselves.

…and yet we have a designer requesting that we touch a device that looks and performs like an incandescent lightbulb?

I know it’s just a design concept, but I’m not a fan of big unanswered questions; how it’s powered, how it stores the energy and how it illuminates being my top concerns.

How many footcandles can you create before the device becomes to hot to touch? Being a functional doorknob, this would have to run a bit cool, right?

• Eric says:

Wow some people are ridiculous. It may resemble a real bulb, but why actually use one? Hello? Would they not make it perfect for the job it’s doing? That’s pretty stupid if they would put a real bulb as a door nob. I would hope they would use a stiff plastic, maybe a rougher or “sandblasted” texture, and it wouldn’t be on all the time during the day. When it is being used why should it get hot? Is it hooked up to the houses wiring? I didn’t think so. The generator wouldn’t generate enough so it would have to be batteries, aka not hot. It’s a great idea. The point is to have it resemble the original light bulb, not BE an actual light bulb. UGH!

• Carl says:

jutxa load of bollocks

• peoples says:

Great idea! Thank you for posting that and designer for creating.

Trackback in Romanian language: http://connect.md/main/ro/articles/view/965

• Reid says:

This is good. Really good, I'd like to see this done.

• Reid says:

This is good. Really good, I'd like to see this done.

• abo tafesh says:

where did find the last image and when

• Phillip says:

Love these. I need two for the double doors in and out of the Cinema at my London showroom, Cornflake. Where and when can we get these.

• An impressive share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a colleague who has
    been conducting a little research on this. And he actually bought me lunch due to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thanhk YOU for the meal!!
    Buut yeah, thanks ffor spending the time to discuss this topic herre on your blog.

• This is my first time visit at here and i am in fact pleassant
    tto read alll at one place.

• Rigbt here is the right web site for everyone who would lije to understand this
    topic. You understand a whole lot iits almost
    hard to argie with you (not that I persxonally would
    want to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a toic that has been wrfitten about for years.
    Wonderful stuff, just excellent!